• No football at all

Votes: 30 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Stories coming out of California and New York this week seem to indicate that substantially more people have been exposed than originally thought. If true, it may be likely that soon a critical mass of people will have been exposed to the point that social distancing is no longer an effective strategy. I think we'll learn a lot more over the next couple of weeks as some states begin to open up more.

Reactions: BamaDenver

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Stories coming out of California and New York this week seem to indicate that substantially more people have been exposed than originally thought. If true, it may be likely that soon a critical mass of people will have been exposed to the point that social distancing is no longer an effective strategy. I think we'll learn a lot more over the next couple of weeks as some states begin to open up more.
Very interesting...I wonder at what level the "herd immunity" will begin to kick in...understand, that's as long as other people are getting it...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Nobody makes decisions today, they just consult the "Will I get Sued" meter. if there is no Vaccine or at least a treatment that is 99% effective there is no way they will allow a student on the campuses. If congress would pass the "rona don't sue me" legislation it might change that fate. In my opinion without that legislation America is done, as in it will be a post apocalyptic waste land where people kill each other for a loaf of bread, so I see no path forward until you take the lawyers out of the situation.
Astonishing.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Nobody makes decisions today, they just consult the "Will I get Sued" meter. if there is no Vaccine or at least a treatment that is 99% effective there is no way they will allow a student on the campuses. If congress would pass the "rona don't sue me" legislation it might change that fate. In my opinion without that legislation America is done, as in it will be a post apocalyptic waste land where people kill each other for a loaf of bread, so I see no path forward until you take the lawyers out of the situation.
The court system would implode if people starting suing every time they came.down with the Covid.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Agreed that most organizations are more worried about getting sued than they are about the virus. But we cant afford to wait for a vaccine economically. I have a feeling we’re going to find out that this thing isn't much different than the flu which also doesnt have 100% vaccination or treatment.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Chemical reactions are only as fast as the rate limiting step. Question: If some states (you know which ones) are unready or unwilling to allow football in the near future will the other teams in the NCAA go ahead and play without them? There would be calls of "unfairness" if some regions are left out, but, as some people have pointed out, when enough money is involved, people find a way around the obstacles. No one likes to be called hypocritical or discriminatory but everything has a price. I put the odds of having any college football games this Fall as 70% likely some games will be played. The only potential top ten teams that I see in "highly affected states" are University of Oregon and USC. Oregon will play if everyone else does. 30% chance that the NCAA and all the big money players will cancel the season because universities in California, Washington and the original colonies won't play.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Chemical reactions are only as fast as the rate limiting step. Question: If some states (you know which ones) are unready or unwilling to allow football in the near future will the other teams in the NCAA go ahead and play without them? There would be calls of "unfairness" if some regions are left out, but, as some people have pointed out, when enough money is involved, people find a way around the obstacles. No one likes to be called hypocritical or discriminatory but everything has a price. I put the odds of having any college football games this Fall as 70% likely some games will be played. The only potential top ten teams that I see in "highly affected states" are University of Oregon and USC. Oregon will play if everyone else does. 30% chance that the NCAA and all the big money players will cancel the season because universities in California, Washington and the original colonies won't play.
At least equal odds that the Pacific Coast states will be ready to go at the same time as other states and may be in a better position overall to do so.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
At least equal odds that the Pacific Coast states will be ready to go at the same time as other states and may be in a better position overall to do so.
I agree that with 50-50 or higher that Washington and Oregon may allow football but Newsome is slow walking it in California. New York, New Jersey and Conn will probably not be open for fall practice in August. Does NCAA allow football in 40 states, even if universities in 5-10 states don't allow it? idk. Follow the money theory says yes. That's why I put odds for yes at 70/30.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I agree that with 50-50 or higher that Washington and Oregon may allow football but Newsome is slow walking it in California. New York, New Jersey and Conn will probably not be open for fall practice in August. Does NCAA allow football in 40 states, even if universities in 5-10 states don't allow it? idk. Follow the money theory says yes. That's why I put odds for yes at 70/30.
Moving too quickly may not bode well for later. I would pay more attention to 2-3 months from now (or perhaps even sooner) to get a better idea of who will be actually ready to go this fall vs not ready.

Reactions: The Ols

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Moving too quickly may not bode well for later. I would pay more attention to 2-3 months from now (or perhaps even sooner) to get a better idea of who will be actually ready to go this fall vs not ready.
The NCAA seems to be leaning toward a required 6 weeks of practice before game play begins. That is about 10 weeks out as a decision point if we are going to start the season on time.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
The NCAA seems to be leaning toward a required 6 weeks of practice before game play begins. That is about 10 weeks out as a decision point if we are going to start the season on time.
By then we should have a good idea of if things will begin on time and it may also be clear if having a season at all will not be possible, depending on the data. So within the first two weeks of July we will know if it will start on time. I just hope the early jumpers don’t screw the whole thing up.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.