Price of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Well, I’ve seen it here in the last couple of years that you couldn’t cover the city from one end to the other and find more than a nickel’s difference in the price of gas; I’ve done it. So the additives reasoning does not allow for such large discrepancies now.
Valero by me is 3.23 today; Chevron 3 miles away is 2.93.
I've known people to drive 5 or 6 miles out of the way to save 2¢ a gallon. Makes no sense.

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide and seebell

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Interesting. I've done the same. I have a blower, small chainsaw, lawnmower, all Stihl brand. I still have two larger chainsaws, and a pole chainsaw, for the bigger stuff. I also have a big John Deere rider, so I still buy the non-ethanol gas for the chainsaws and the JD. Our three acres are mostly trees, but there are a couple of grassed areas I don't want to push the battery lawnmower around and they're a little rough for it. It's great for the "tame" zoysia part of the yard...
I figured you were on a large wooded parcel, I’m sure it’s beautiful. When I’m in town I take Governor’s up the mountain and the back road down that comes out at 5 points. The trees are especially stunning in the fall.
i kept my gas weed eater and will use it on heavy duty jobs, but I don’t have many of them these days.

Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I figured you were on a large wooded parcel, I’m sure it’s beautiful. When I’m in town I take Governor’s up the mountain and the back road down that comes out at 5 points. The trees are especially stunning in the fall.
i kept my gas weed eater and will use it on heavy duty jobs, but I don’t have many of them these days.
We're about two blocks from the park. Out of our three acres, about one is mowable. The other two are in trees. I do have a gas Echo string trimmer, which I picked out with Bazza's help, after running through several. For what I have to weed-eat, battery wouldn't do, both from a power standpoint and runtime...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Not gas, but a pound of bacon cost $12 here locally, ridiculous, essentially doubled. Bacon ain't made overseas and consumption hasn't changed. Personally I think there is a lot of greed in the economy right now...
Someone should hang for this. It’s treasonous. You don’t mess with bacon!

Reactions: JDCrimson

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Used to have gas wars when I first started driving, and everyone knew who had the cheapest gas - then it was usually only a few cents difference. Now it’s almost always a quarter or more per gallon; I don’t understand the big price difference, for one, but I don’t understand why people would complain yet willingly pay more.
Pump prices are generally established by the distributor who sells/provides the gas to individual stations. In some cases the price is jacked up based on location--Mountain Brook is usually a good bit higher than anywhere else in Bham. The weird part is when you see 10+ cent differences between gas stations across the street from one another.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Pump prices are generally established by the distributor who sells/provides the gas to individual stations. In some cases the price is jacked up based on location--Mountain Brook is usually a good bit higher than anywhere else in Bham. The weird part is when you see 10+ cent differences between gas stations across the street from one another.
Or 30+ cents 3 miles apart? Both in the P&F jurisdiction? Different rural communities but not that far apart; two stations, catty-corner at 2.90 and three miles away two catty corner at 3.21. I’d drive three miles to save 30 cents a gallon.

Reactions: Toddrn

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From howstufworks.com
. . . the million-dollar-question: Why do prices vary between gas stations located near each other? Part of that answer lies in transportation costs, which come into play even when stations sit side by side. Moving crude oil to a refinery, through a pipeline or across an ocean, and on a truck to supply the station adds up. Based on contractual agreements, routes from rig to pump vary considerably, making one station's gasoline more expensive than the other's.

Before the gas station owner puts those giant numbers on the marquee, taxes are added in. The federal government taxes gasoline, and so do state governments. The EIA reported 18.4 cents per gallon of federal tax and an average of 28.62 cents per gallon of state taxes as of August 2018. Some municipalities add their own taxes on top of these.

Finally, the gas station owner, an individual franchisee or a corporation, sets a price allowing for profit. This final piece incorporates the cost of doing business, as well as the aims of the gas station, such as whether it is mainly a filling or service station, or if the goal is really to make money selling taquitos.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I would need evidence to believe this. We had record breaking gas prices during the Obama administration here, along with an extraordinary economy.
And a LOT of people thought the economy was n terrible shape.

Perception ≠ reality, but there's zero question perception affects voting patterns.

Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Considering the real price adjusted for inflation and the fact that cars get much better mileage now than ever before, the current price is not really bad. Its easy to find a decent car that gets 30 - 40 MPG.
I mean, are you suggesting people who drive vehicles that aren't that fuel efficient will save money by purchasing another automobile?

The reality is lots of folks already have large, fuel-inefficient vehicle. The suggestion that a new/used car to replace the one they own is pretty much a non-starter for most folks. The rate of return is largely a loss or at best a wash.

The real question is why has gas increased by 65% in the last year? NOT casting stones at Biden - he inherited a disaster from Trump - just pointing out that people want to know. Combine that with the inflation rate that people are seeing wide-spread and the 'price of gas' is a bit of a political economic disaster when it comes to the 2022 elections.

Reactions: seebell

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
The real question is why has gas increased by 65% in the last year? NOT casting stones at Biden - he inherited a disaster from Trump - just pointing out that people want to know. Combine that with the inflation rate that people are seeing wide-spread and the 'price of gas' is a bit of a political economic disaster when it comes to the 2022 elections.
Demand cratered when Covid hit, rigs were shut down, and rig operation has been slow to get back to pre-Covid levels. The US is still GT 1 miilion bpd production lower than pre-Covid. The rest of the world has been slow to ramp back up. World production dropped 10 percent or so from 2019 to 2020. Here in the states, banks have been less generous with lending to the oil patch.

image-69.png

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I mean, are you suggesting people who drive vehicles that aren't that fuel efficient will save money by purchasing another automobile?

The reality is lots of folks already have large, fuel-inefficient vehicle. The suggestion that a new/used car to replace the one they own is pretty much a non-starter for most folks.
The rate of return is largely a loss or at best a wash.

No but I'm sure that those same people keep on buying large, fuel-inefficient vehicles time after time and then cry every time gas goes up a couple of cents.
I'm suggesting that if they are concerned with the cost of gas they wise up and buy a more efficient vehicle the next time or stop crying about gas prices.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Demand cratered when Covid hit, rigs were shut down, and rig operation has been slow to get back to pre-Covid levels. The US is still GT 1 miilion bpd production lower than pre-Covid. The rest of the world has been slow to ramp back up. World production dropped 10 percent or so from 2019 to 2020. Here in the states, banks have been less generous with lending to the oil patch.

View attachment 21429
that same type of thing happened throughout the economy

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

View attachment 21429
Insert that’s a bingo gif here. (Computer has issues so posting from phone until replacement parts get here or I feel like putting up with the hassle of broken hinges - second time for this computer)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No but I'm sure that those same people keep on buying large, fuel-inefficient vehicles time after time and then cry every time gas goes up a couple of cents.
I'm suggesting that if they are concerned with the cost of gas they wise up and buy a more efficient vehicle the next time or stop crying about gas prices.
I get it, but when fuel costs jump to 165% in 12 months, the questions are understandable. We're not talking about a 'couple of cents', and for most folks, simply 'swapping vehicles' isn't simple.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

View attachment 21429
In 2018, US gas prices averaged $2.72/g (the highest since 2012), it's currently $3.31g.

So yeah, consumers generally don't give a crap, they're paying a bunch more to fill up - more than they've paid in at least a decade.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Most of the world economies have not recovered to the degree that US economy has recovered. Many countries are still struggling to get the virus under control and get their citizens vaccinated moreso due to lack of vaccine supply/access. Likewise many countries are also more inclined to impose lockdowns. It's these same countries that are critical to the US supply chain. Things won't get better until they get better abroad. Most of what we consume as a nation is made somewhere else or parts made in another country.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Most of the world economies have not recovered to the degree that US economy has recovered. Many countries are still struggling to get the virus under control and get their citizens vaccinated moreso due to lack of vaccine supply/access. Likewise many countries are also more inclined to impose lockdowns. It's these same countries that are critical to the US supply chain. Things won't get better until they get better abroad. Most of what we consume as a nation is made somewhere else or parts made in another country.
that lean, efficient global supply chain will be a game changer for profitability and productivity, they said

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
that lean, efficient global supply chain will be a game changer for profitability and productivity, they said
I'm hoping the US leadership realizes how badly the 'global economy' potentially hinders us in situations like this. Maybe we stop subsidizing things like ethanol production and begin encouraging businesses to being production back to the us. These supply chain issues couldn't all be avoided, but we could mitigate some of them with US manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.