Price of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
ECU's are typically mapped to provide the best driving experience and mileage across all driving conditions which is why I mentioned that sure, it could help, slightly. In cases like yours with a Turbo they are often "detuned" for a variety reasons, meet cafe/fuel standards, to not beat out more expensive models from the same manufacturer, safety, or whatever. Typically though most manufacturers will default to fuel economy over power when mapping an ecu, exactly what you noticed. You got more power but lost economy. This is why the idea of 35% is simply ludicrous. 1-2% sure that is possible, the mapping on these things has to take into account multiple octane ratings, altitudes and weather conditions, etc. In theory if the ECU was customized to a locality and individual there may be some fuel gains.
Actually, the ECUs these days are "smart" enough to adapt to all those factors you mentioned. In the case of the Miata, it was well-known that there was more performance to be had. It cost some fuel economy, but not as much as you might expect. It accelerated like a motorcycle. The only problem was, after teasing out the extra pep, the first gear was much too low. Some guys went so far as to change out the rear end for a taller ratio but I never got that far...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Honda has an "ECO" button that is supposed to save on fuel mileage. In short distance in town driving I find it does just the opposite, probably due to added time accelerating vs cruising. I haven't really tried it much on the highway so can't say what it does there. I'd think if automakers could squeeze more out or even provide an option for it that was marketable that they would since it would be just another way to make money for them.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Honda has an "ECO" button that is supposed to save on fuel mileage. In short distance in town driving I find it does just the opposite, probably due to added time accelerating vs cruising. I haven't really tried it much on the highway so can't say what it does there. I'd think if automakers could squeeze more out or even provide an option for it that was marketable that they would since it would be just another way to make money for them.
My Son's Honda Pilot had a problem that forced me to take a deep dive into the drive train. Their ECO system is quite complex in that it switches off cylinders and their valves during operation to go from 6 to 4 cylinders operating to power the vehicle. It has been problematic to the point of an industry developing for devices to prevent ECO mode. It has not presented a problem on the two Pilots we operate but it has presented issues on some due to plug fouling.

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
My Son's Honda Pilot had a problem that forced me to take a deep dive into the drive train. Their ECO system is quite complex in that it switches off cylinders and their valves during operation to go from 6 to 4 cylinders operating to power the vehicle. It has been problematic to the point of an industry developing for devices to prevent ECO mode. It has not presented a problem on the two Pilots we operate but it has presented issues on some due to plug fouling.
I can't remember if the Odyssey had it, but the Pilot I traded for the Ridgeline did. I've seen no benefit from it. Besides, they have VCM that already takes it down to 4 or even 3 cylinders.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
My 2018 Civic doesn't have the ECO button, but my 2013 Civic did. I think, because apparently I drive like a (Great) Grandmother, the ECO button and the '13 got a bit better mileage than the '18, for me. Still not sad to see it go. I turned the ECO off when I had the '13 because its supposed benefits were massively outweighed by the poor performance.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can't remember if the Odyssey had it, but the Pilot I traded for the Ridgeline did. I've seen no benefit from it. Besides, they have VCM that already takes it down to 4 or even 3 cylinders.
You drive an RL? I bought a new one in '07, kept it until '14 (we outgrew it) - that was the best-riding vehicle I've ever owned. Just glided everywhere.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
You drive an RL? I bought a new one in '07, kept it until '14 (we outgrew it) - that was the best-riding vehicle I've ever owned. Just glided everywhere.
I picked it up on April 2. Of course, the G2 is a much different body style than the G1 RL's, but it's a nice vehicle. The trunk in the bed in awesome.

Since our kids are all grown we moved away from vans. The Pilot was great and still had 8 seats, but I wanted a truck. Surprisingly, so did Mrs. NT18.

Since I bought it in Reno I had to have it smogged for CA. The lady came to the office to pick it up and brought it back when done. When I paid her for the work that afternoon she exclaimed "I love your truck - it has such a smooth ride!" (meanwhile, my assistant - who drives a monstrous diesel truck on most days and on other days a gas-powered alternate monstrous truck - says it's NART :D )

The ride is by necessity a bit stiffer than the Pilot, but the front seating and comfort is very close.

Gas mileage is 18/24/21 and I fill up once every 3-4 weeks in normal driving.

The Sonic Gray Pearl is beautiful, but I am partial.

1654052537546.png

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Had to get the rear end rebuilt in my pick up. My FIL let me borrow his “work truck” while it was getting worked on. It’s a 2017 Chevy 2500 gas burner (6.6 L). Very nice truck but very “thirsty.” Drove it 7 days and put $220 in gas in it. While thankful I had a vehicle to drive I was glad to get my truck back. Ha!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
4.19-4.29 here in south TX. I drive a 2014 F150 (I get 16 in town and 18-20 on the road) so we take my wife’s Highlander (20-22 in town and 26-28 on the road) or my son’s CRV (24-25 in town and 30 on the road) when we have to drive any long distance although I miss the comfort of my truck. The Highlander’s seats aren’t nearly as comfortably as the truck and the CRV is a chore to drive on the highway. We probably won’t be taking a road trip vacation this year due to the gas prices.

Reactions: seebell

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
4.19-4.29 here in south TX. I drive a 2014 F150 (I get 16 in town and 18-20 on the road) so we take my wife’s Highlander (20-22 in town and 26-28 on the road) or my son’s CRV (24-25 in town and 30 on the road) when we have to drive any long distance although I miss the comfort of my truck. The Highlander’s seats aren’t nearly as comfortably as the truck and the CRV is a chore to drive on the highway. We probably won’t be taking a road trip vacation this year due to the gas prices.
About the same prices here. I paid 4.29 yesterday which is the highest I’ve paid.
we bought a new Outback last fall and it gets 32-33 mpg on the highway. I drive our old F150 to the grocery and such, mainly to keep the battery charged.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
But how long will that take to impact the local pumps seeing that production of the increase won't even begin until July/August?

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and allies including Russia, known as OPEC+, agreed to raise output by 648,000 barrels per day (bpd) in July and 648,000 bpd in August, a source told Reuters.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I picked it up on April 2. Of course, the G2 is a much different body style than the G1 RL's, but it's a nice vehicle. The trunk in the bed in awesome.

Since our kids are all grown we moved away from vans. The Pilot was great and still had 8 seats, but I wanted a truck. Surprisingly, so did Mrs. NT18.

Since I bought it in Reno I had to have it smogged for CA. The lady came to the office to pick it up and brought it back when done. When I paid her for the work that afternoon she exclaimed "I love your truck - it has such a smooth ride!" (meanwhile, my assistant - who drives a monstrous diesel truck on most days and on other days a gas-powered alternate monstrous truck - says it's NART :D )

The ride is by necessity a bit stiffer than the Pilot, but the front seating and comfort is very close.

Gas mileage is 18/24/21 and I fill up once every 3-4 weeks in normal driving.

The Sonic Gray Pearl is beautiful, but I am partial.

View attachment 25282
I’d like to get a mid-size when we finally get rid of our f150, but they’re sure stingy on headroom in most I’ve seen.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Still though, it always seems to take weeks for prices to lower but, only hours for them to rise.

If it hits $6 around here, that is when I start sleeping at the office and only going home on weekends.

Right now the government could help if it really wanted too. Feds get 0.184 / gallon, AL gets 0.28 / gallon and Montgomery county gets 0.01. That's 0.474 per gallon that the government gets. Then you got sales tax. If anyone in D.C. and Montgomery really cared, suspend the tax on gas for a little bit, help us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.