Price of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I’m still driving an ‘06 RL we bought new. 282,000 miles and still drives and rides great. I just put a new set of Michelin’s on it. It’s never been in the shop other than for service.

Last summer I pulled the radio and installed a touchscreen and a backup camera. The radio was easy. The backup camera was a challenge.
My Tacoma has a backup image in the rearview mirror. I only drove it for ten years before I discovered it. I remarked on it to my wife, who's known about it from the beginning. It's about the size of a postage stamp and might tell me if I were about to back into a T. Rex. A mailbox? Fuhgedaboutit. I'm still not using it...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
My Tacoma has a backup image in the rearview mirror. I only drove it for ten years before I discovered it. I remarked on it to my wife, who's known about it from the beginning. It's about the size of a postage stamp and might tell me if I were about to back into a T. Rex. A mailbox? Fuhgedaboutit. I'm still not using it...
My daughter’s 2010 RAV4 is the same. The image in the rear view mirror is laughably small.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Nothing to do with gas but, WSFA, for the past few mornings, has done more stories on that stupid jubilee celebration for a old queen than any other local story. It is beyond infuriating. I will never understand Americans' obsession with the British royalty. We won the war to get away from that crap but now local news just throws it back in our faces. Freaking national NBC pulled a reporter from Ukraine to go cover this crap. Seriously! A party in London is more important than the war!

Do British folks obsess over US presidents like Americans obsess over their Royalty?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The news has been so grim our media jumped on the royal coverage in part to have something other than a tragedy or an outrage to mix in.

I use my interest in college football the same way. Although when I think of it, royal coverage is more like my new hobby, birdwatching.

Reactions: UAH

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Last summer I pulled the radio and installed a touchscreen and a backup camera. The radio was easy. The backup camera was a challenge.
I fell in love with the idea of an OEM looking solution so I installed a 'carputer' - a Mac Mini in the lower center console with a custom touchscreen interface:
IMG_0430.JPG

It was a blast!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I’m still driving an ‘06 RL we bought new. 282,000 miles and still drives and rides great. I just put a new set of Michelin’s on it. It’s never been in the shop other than for service.

My wife has a 08 Pilot that has an ancient navigation system and back up camera which I have considered replacing. Your comment gives me the incentive to reconsider that although I have a long list to work through.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I fell in love with the idea of an OEM looking solution so I installed a 'carputer' - a Mac Mini in the lower center console with a custom touchscreen interface:
View attachment 25470

It was a blast!
Nice job! It looks OEM. I'm sure you had to pull the whole dash just like I did.

The hardest part of my installation was running a cable directly from the battery terminal. I came back into the cab through a water drain hole under the driver's door threshold.

I undertook the project because I couldn't hear my phone on speaker while I was driving.

I also installed a seat extender and removed the footrest. The footrest took me a while to figure out and it looks bad without it, but it's much more comfortable for me. My wife had been driving the truck until last year so she didn't need the extra room.

I'm getting ready to install new headlamps. The lenses on my truck are pretty opaque and I rather have brighter light. The whole grille has to come off for this job. Nothing is easy anymore.

Were you able to keep your subwoofer with your unit?

Attachments

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My wife has a 08 Pilot that has an ancient navigation system and back up camera which I have considered replacing. Your comment gives me the incentive to reconsider that although I have a long list to work through.
The hard part was getting cabling past the wheel well.

My camera mounts on the license plate. To get power, I tied into the backup light on the driver's side with heat shrink solder connectors. By connecting to the reverse lights, when I put the truck in reverse the camera turns on.

To get past the wheel well, I drilled holes into the well and zip tied the cable. If memory serves, I used three zip ties. I came into the cab through the same drain that I had used for the main unit, which as I stated above came from the battery.

It's the kind of thing that would be easy to do the second time, but it requires a lot of on the spot engineering no matter what. There are plenty of YouTube videos to watch, without which, I wouldn't have been able to do this. Watch a couple before you decide against it. Also, invest in a good camera.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV and UAH

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

My camera mounts on the license plate. To get power, I tied into the backup light on the driver's side with heat shrink solder connectors. By connecting to the reverse lights, when I put the truck in reverse the camera turns on.

To get past the wheel well, I drilled holes into the well and zip tied the cable. If memory serves, I used three zip ties. I came into the cab through the same drain that I had used for the main unit, which as I stated above came from the battery.

It's the kind of thing that would be easy to do the second time, but it requires a lot of on the spot engineering no matter what. There are plenty of YouTube videos to watch, without which, I wouldn't have been able to do this. Watch a couple before you decide against it. Also, invest in a good camera.
I have a Ford with a power mirror torn off and the connector missing from the door harness. If I can solve that I may take on the navigation/camera project. I agree I never attempt anything without my trusty YouTube videos.

Reactions: Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That was good jury-rigging, to tap onto the backup lights. As I mentioned above, my display is postage stamp-sized. When my daughter was in Germany, they had a good-sized Volvo station wagon with a nice large display. Once, we drove down from Stuttgart to visit the Hohenzollern castle and her husband had to back right to the edge of a bluff to park. I was in the passenger seat and watching the display. I mentioned how close we were to her husband and he laughed. He said "What that says in Swedish is 'Objects are further away than they appear.'" :)

• Haha
Reactions: Go Bama

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My wife's 2017 Ford escape has a backup camera, but the display, while not quite as small as your rearview, is still small enough that you have to squint at it to see anything--which to my mind defeats the purpose.

My Civic, on the other hand, has a pretty large display, and I can just glance at it while checking elsewhere.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
$9.88/gallon in France as I drove to Normandy two weeks ago.
They've long been ahead of us on the 'green initiative' - which by definition means higher costs with current technology. For example, they rely heavily on nuclear power for electrical generation - their rates are $0.198/kWh vs MLGW's rate of $0.113/kWh.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
They've long been ahead of us on the 'green initiative' - which by definition means higher costs with current technology. For example, they rely heavily on nuclear power for electrical generation - their rates are $0.198/kWh vs MLGW's rate of $0.113/kWh.
I'd pay a bit more for nuclear because has less greenhouse gas emissions. Thing about nuclear is that it has a high sunk cost, but is cheaper by the incremental KW. Gas costs more the more KW you produce.
Strangely, the EU is shutting down nuclear power plants while saying climate change is important. Well, if it is important, keep your nuclear power plants open, at least until we find a viable alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.