Pro baseball, and then college ball?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I realize that you can play baseball and then come back to play any other sport, but I never heard of someone getting drafted by MLB, actually playing, and then going back and playing college ball after they are released? Have you? There was an article I read about a guy getting drafted by the Braves, then playing just a few games of Rookie ball, being released, and then heading to college baseball. Does that even sound plausible?

Thanks for any answers.

rtr

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I realize that you can play baseball and then come back to play any other sport, but I never heard of someone getting drafted by MLB, actually playing, and then going back and playing college ball after they are released? Have you? There was an article I read about a guy getting drafted by the Braves, then playing just a few games of Rookie ball, being released, and then heading to college baseball. Does that even sound plausible?

Thanks for any answers.

rtr
Dont think this is possible. Once he actually played he got paid so it would be against rules for him to return to college baseball. Are you sure he just he didn't just get drafted like out of high school and then decided to go to colleg? Kds do that every year.

Reactions: B1GTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
You can do this...but there are some restrictions. From playing golf with a baseball coach who did this after being drafted by the Dodgers and playing rookie ball for one year: you have to sit out a year; you cannot play D-I; and you cannot pitch if you were a pitcher. Sounds odd...and I haven't read the rule book, but that's what he said and he had no reason to prevaricate.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This guy played 20 games of Rookie League ball, then got hurt. He went to JUCO and then a small school. Supposedly he is tearing it up playing for a team called the Savannah Bananas and MLB scouts are watching him closely. I had no idea this could be done but apparently it can with a lot of restrictions?

Thanks,

rtr

Reactions: Padreruf

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Haa, the Savannah Bananas. The league has a bunch of college guys (it is a collegiate summer league). They are great. Good baseball with solid players, but focused on the fans first and foremost. The bananas have sold out every game since 2017 on an 88 game sell out streak. If on twitter, give them a follow and see for yourself. They are in the Coastal Plain League with the Macon Bacon (who split their team up a couple weeks ago and one was the Macon Bacon and the other was the Macon Eggs) I can't make this stuff up. This is baseball the way it is supposed to be imo!

As for the original post/player, I got no idea who he is!

Reactions: Padreruf

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.