2018 Prospect: QB Brock Purdy

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
“Supposedly”. This is more a hit piece on Saban than a praise piece on Purdy.

where are the articles on all the other high profile coaches who passed on him as well? I’ll wait.

It’s a hit piece by a Georgia writer, here is his other top article on fansided .

His last two articles are about Alabama, not Georgia. Probably the kid in school that never got picked and finally did something good. Dang, that sounds a lot like the Georgia fanbase.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That article is trash. That is not Saban’s style at all. But you clearly believe it and probably have an agenda in posting it here.
Like the other trolls a while back. They posted here and ran back to CowpuppyNation to Link the post so they could comment about Bama fan reaction . The lowest form of troll.

Someone said it, there have been a lot of new members/posters here the last few months. Seems that the down year(I know, two losses) brought out the worst.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Ok , one last comment

This is BS, Saban is trying to convince the kid to come to Alabama , he nor any other coach would tell a prospect that. purely made up .

.Though nobody could have foreseen this, Saban supposedly told Purdy during his visit back in high school, “You’re below average in height. Your arm strength is whatever. Your accuracy is average.”

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Ok , one last comment

This is BS, Saban is trying to convince the kid to come to Alabama , he nor any other coach would tell a prospect that. purely made up .
Yeah, the last thing that any coach on any staff does on a recruit's visit is to say something negative about the recruit.

That is probably the number one rule (and common sense)... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tidelines

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Like the other trolls a while back. They posted here and ran back to CowpuppyNation to Link the post so they could comment about Bama fan reaction . The lowest form of troll.

Someone said it, there have been a lot of new members/posters here the last few months. Seems that the down year(I know, two losses) brought out the worst.
So has this become a topic of discussion over on the mutt boards? :unsure:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Ok , one last comment

I have no doubt CNS would shoot straight with a recruit...what you cannot measure is the mind...how does the recruit think and react under pressure. I have seen 3-4 stars beat out 5 stars with their minds...not often, but enough to where you know it is possible. Also, some players mature later than others...happens all the time.
No one gets them right every single time...not even CNS.

Reactions: Tidelines

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Ok , one last comment

That sounds like something Georgia sportswriters would whip up to try and counter Saban because they didnt have the #1 recruiting class this year...............He lives rent free in their brains. They cannot enjoy an NC unless they tear everyone else down. It's a symptom of being a UGA fan......those of you who live in Bama have no idea what they are like............I'd rather hang around and break bread with AU fans

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
And that is what makes it a hit piece. GA and theirs have neither humility or shame.
Clearly.
I doubt Saban ever said anything remotely close that what this writer claimed "supposedly" was said. Sounds like something Finebaum would say. And I doubt seriously Purdy had anything to do with the article or had said those things in that context.

2018 was a weird class. I remember when Purdy visited very late in the year. Lupoi was recruiting everybody out west, seemed like. There are offers, and there are commit-able offers. Purdy was not on Bama's radar when he visited, as I recall. Jalen(Jr), Tua(So), and Mac(rFr) were currently on the roster. They had recruited Matt Corral early and got him to visit, and set high expectations. But when he committed to Ole Miss, most believed the coaches were OK with not signing a QB in the class, with Taulia and Tyson out there in the 2019 class. Then something changed and Purdy visited, and they ended up signing Lane Hatcher in May. Maybe they got to thinking either Tua or Jalen would transfer before the fall or they could miss on Taulia. That was also the year where several players we thought we had went elsewhere. We ended up signing Moody on the last day, then getting Musika, another Lupoi find, a month after signing day.

Purdy seems like a great guy, and a very good QB. But I have to say, not only is he a Cinderella story, that a lot of people missed on, he's had some tremendous injury luck. He was 3rd string as a freshman in college when the returning starter got injured in game 1. Then he beat out the #2 guy after they dropped 3 of 4 games. He ends up breaking a bunch of records as a 4 year starter, but was picked dead last in the draft. In his rookie year, the #1 and #2 QB's get injured, moving him to the front by default. By the way, the guy picked dead last usually gets to be on a good team. Most NFL QB's would look very good on that team. But if all the big time programs could have seen his potential back in 2018, he wouldn't have had to sign with Iowa State. So there's that. And lot of NFL teams missed too.

But lets be honest. He likely saw the QB room on his visit and didn't like his chances. Had he signed with Bama, there's a very good chance he gets beat out by Mac after Tua left, and would have transferred then with Bryce waiting his turn.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok , one last comment

Of course it is.

It's like that manufactured meme that made the rounds first in 2011 and then in 2017 that has Saban snidely saying a team that doesn't win its conference has no business in a national championship game. He never said that but it keeps getting posted.

Now we apply the common sense test.....Saban allegedly insulted this kid in ways never heard about any other recruit and then - despite a limited number - OFFERED HIM A SCHOLARSHIP????

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This quote is making the rounds, supposedly Brock told his HS coach what Nick said. The coach is the one the writer quoted . Need to hear from Purdy, though. He really needs to explain this comment. Or deny saying it. No way Nick said that. 15 minutes of fame I guess for the HS coach. I was pulling for the kid, but no more. Hope Jalen and company hang half a hundy as they say.

Reactions: B1GTide

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Purdy seems like a great guy, and a very good QB. But I have to say, not only is he a Cinderella story, that a lot of people missed on, he's had some tremendous injury luck. He was 3rd string as a freshman in college when the returning starter got injured in game 1. Then he beat out the #2 guy after they dropped 3 of 4 games. He ends up breaking a bunch of records as a 4 year starter, but was picked dead last in the draft. In his rookie year, the #1 and #2 QB's get injured, moving him to the front by default. By the way, the guy picked dead last usually gets to be on a good team. Most NFL QB's would look very good on that team. But if all the big time programs could have seen his potential back in 2018, he wouldn't have had to sign with Iowa State. So there's that. And lot of NFL teams missed too.
Wow!:oops:

If I'm in a QB meeting with him, I'm sitting on the other side of the room... :oops:

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It’s a hit piece by a Georgia writer, here is his other top article on fansided .

His last two articles are about Alabama, not Georgia. Probably the kid in school that never got picked and finally did something good. Dang, that sounds a lot like the Georgia fanbase.
Thinking he may be I-man or Bama Hater on Finebaum. Same model many have taken up since our domination began. Envy is one of the 7 deadly sins you know.

Reactions: dtgreg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.