QB Christian Hackenburg Commits to Penn State

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Re: Hackenburg picks Penn State

This one really surprised me. He have very personal connections to Alabama and Tennessee. His father played with Derek Dooley and Mike Groh at Virginia. I was hoping he was the QB for Alabama's 2013 class. I guess the "I coached Tom Brady" line worked once again. Charlie Weiss used it to no ends at Notre Dame.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006

This one really surprised me. He have very personal connections to Alabama and Tennessee. His father played with Derek Dooley and Mike Groh at Virginia. I was hoping he was the QB for Alabama's 2013 class. I guess the "I coached Tom Brady" line worked once again. Charlie Weiss used it to no ends at Notre Dame.
He'll have the chance to come in and play right away at Penn State, which is something I don't think he would have gotten at either UA or UF. I'm sure that factored into his decision.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Not a major surprise here, I suppose. He's going to play under a QB guru and he should be able to get almost immediate playing time, which is something he couldn't get at 'Bama. Maybe a smart decision for him, maybe not, but I can at least see what he made the decision that he did.

As for the Tennessee bit, I don't know if his father and Dooley have any real relationship. Playing together forever ago is one thing, but by no means does that guarantee an ongoing relationship. In any event, given the trailer park fire that is the UT football program at the moment, I don't think he was ever going there. Even with the personal angle, why commit to a family friend when there is a good chance he'll be fired two months before NSD?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Will he play over Stephen Bench? Granted Bench will only have a year under him at PSU.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
I hope the kid does well at PSU . That program has been drug through the mud . Some of that was deserved and very disturbing , but I wish them the best in the future . They have a lot of shared history with Bama and they will need many more great young players like Christian to get back to the level they once played . I , for one , hope they make it back soon . rtr...

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I hope the kid does well at PSU . That program has been drug through the mud . Some of that was deserved and very disturbing , but I wish them the best in the future . They have a lot of shared history with Bama and they will need many more great young players like Christian to get back to the level they once played . I , for one , hope they make it back soon . rtr...
All of it was deserved.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
Many around the country felt we got we deserved when we ran into our NCAA speed bump . I don't remember many PSU wolves howling at our doors then. Maybe I'm getting old but I hated to see Coach Paterno go out the way he did. That is the point I was trying to make , even if I worded it poorly . I still wish PSU the best in football . rtr....

BamaFaninPTC

Feb 29, 2012
That's to bad as I was hoping he would be the Tides big qb signing for the 13' class. For some reason I think we're starting to go after qb's with more athleticism.

Imagine having a guy with AJ's arm and pocket presence under center. On a first and ten he drops back and fakes the handoff to Yeldon then looks downfield to a streaking Kenny Bell. He sees that the corner covering Bell appears to have safety help over the top.

He step up in the pocket to avoid a blitzing linebacker sees that everyone appears covered so he tucks the ball and takes off up the middle.

At 6 feet 4 inches and weighing in at 215 lb's he seems to glide down the field using his 4.55 speed. He's well past the first down marker before the opposing defense becomes aware of what's happening.

Picking up a downfield block from his tightend he races to the right and down the sideline slowing just enough to throw an approaching strong safety off balance before giving him a vicious stiff arm, sending him to the ground and rolling out of bounds. The strong safety could only lay there feeling helpless, beaten, and owned and where he could only lay and watch as the Tide qb jukes another defender and dives for the pylon to score the only points that Alabama would need in route to a 38-3 victory over the UT Volun.....s.
If you think our offense was explosive in 11' just think if opposing defenses had to defend not only our running and passing games but also our qb who has the green light from the coaching staff to take off any time he wants.

**22 SEC Titles** **14 National Titles**
ROLL TIDE!

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
Many around the country felt we got we deserved when we ran into our NCAA speed bump . I don't remember many PSU wolves howling at our doors then. Maybe I'm getting old but I hated to see Coach Paterno go out the way he did. That is the point I was trying to make , even if I worded it poorly . I still wish PSU the best in football . rtr....
Well I guess I will have to disagree here. What happened at UA compared to what happen at PSU are not even in the same league. It was unthinkable that a program that holds itself in such high regrad would allow that type of behavior to go on inside its own house. In regards to CJP I have no sympathy either since he was aware of the situation and allowed to continue. Again paying for a player is not even close in the realm of what transpired on their campus, but maybe my judgement is clouded because I am a parent. I for one hoped the program would be shut down at PSU, atleast until the trail and justice was served to actually see who all was involved. BUt I believe the NCAA is still investigating so we will see.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
I am a parent and a grandparent . I feel abuse , in any way , of a child is unexceptable . There is no comparison between our former problems and those currently at PSU , but I have PSU friends who were very suportive during our Ncaa issues . Perhaps I am naive enough to believe Coach Paterno was naive enough to think he had done enough by going to his superiors . I'll reserve my judgenent until all the facts come out . I may be in the minority here , but I think college football is better with a strong Penn State and , as much as it gags me to say it , a strong Notre Dame . Sorry for turning this into another Joe Pa thread . I should have just wished the kid luck . Roll Tide !!! We can agree on that . :)

Last edited:

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
I am a parent and a grandparent . I feel abuse , in any way , of a child is unexceptable . There is no comparison between our former problems and those currently at PSU , but I have PSU friends who were very suportive during our Ncaa issues . Perhaps I am naive enough to believe Coach Paterno was naive enough to think he had done enough by going to his superiors . I'll reserve my judgenent until all the facts come out . I may be in the minority here , but I think college football is better with a strong Penn State and , as much as it gags me to say it , a strong Notre Dame . Sorry for turning this into another Joe Pa thread . I should have just wished the kid luck . Roll Tide !!! We can agree on that . :)
I agree on the that and do wish him well. I also think that CFB will be better place if PSU can turn the program around and demonstrate that their past situation will never be allowed to transpire again by creating safeguards.

PSU is a historic program and they seem to be back on track to getting to where they once were.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.