Quarterbacks - what do the 2020 NFL Playoffs tell us?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Besides Jackson who would you put in that dynamic category? Lamars issue is arm strength. I think Vick would have done better in that system than Lamar has due to his cannon of an arm. Lamars weakness is making those outside throws. He just can not make those period end of discussion. I don't think arm strength is something you can work on in an off season. Now if the Ravens sign another dynamic running back to go along with Ingram the may win it all next year. I believe one is about to hit free agency.
Deshaun Watson, Josh Allen

Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
When your QB is your leading rusher (143 yards) and your leading passer (365 yards), you've got a problem. That is an unsustainable model that is almost certainly going to lead to your QB having a shortened career. All the talking heads are trying to say that Jackson is the future Quarterback of the NFL. Unfortunately, not only is his style of play unsustainable. Lamar Jackson type talent isn't the even the common talent within the elite quarterbacks. How many Michael Vick type talent quarterbacks have come into the league between now and Jackson? None. The supply of Lamar Jackson type talent isn't common within sports.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
One thing I noticed was how well Russell Wilson could slide to keep from getting killed. If someone like Tua would learn to do this he would have a long career. The QB's this weekend besides Jackson and Watson knew how to protect themselves after their run was finished.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
When your QB is your leading rusher (143 yards) and your leading passer (365 yards), you've got a problem. That is an unsustainable model that is almost certainly going to lead to your QB having a shortened career. All the talking heads are trying to say that Jackson is the future Quarterback of the NFL. Unfortunately, not only is his style of play unsustainable. Lamar Jackson type talent isn't the even the common talent within the elite quarterbacks. How many Michael Vick type talent quarterbacks have come into the league between now and Jackson? None. The supply of Lamar Jackson type talent isn't common within sports.
Also, when you are throwing interceptions instead of TDs, it doesn't matter how many yards you rack up.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One thing I noticed was how well Russell Wilson could slide to keep from getting killed. If someone like Tua would learn to do this he would have a long career. The QB's this weekend besides Jackson and Watson knew how to protect themselves after their run was finished.
Watson is going to have to make a few adjustments to his game or he's one hit away from eating through a straw. The dude is a phenomenal competitor and will lay his body on the line to win. But I watched waaaay too many times this season (including the playoffs) of him taking unnecessary hits trying to do his best impersonation of a running back. Those hits accumulate quick.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
What I'm seeing in playoff is that players like Jalen Hurts can definitely find a role on offense, whether it's running same offense he ran at Oklahoma and at Alabama... but Its hard to survive NFL as a running QB.

Watson is a game changer, but few adjustments and he'll be fine.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The NFL will trend back to a power running game as the DL gets lighter and faster -- Power is the only answer.

When LBs and DL guys are running 4.5 to 4.7 -- power will have to find it's way back into the fold. Hence a guy like Henry. Who is as big as a house -- and makes people hate playing defense.

That's why I think Najee is going to go higher next year than people are anticipating ---

Remember that it wasn't that long ago that the TE position in the NFL had started to all but disappear, and that's changed...... The FB position is another one that is going to come back as well, as the power gets reinstated......

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The NFL will trend back to a power running game as the DL gets lighter and faster -- Power is the only answer.

When LBs and DL guys are running 4.5 to 4.7 -- power will have to find it's way back into the fold. Hence a guy like Henry. Who is as big as a house -- and makes people hate playing defense.

That's why I think Najee is going to go higher next year than people are anticipating ---

Remember that it wasn't that long ago that the TE position in the NFL had started to all but disappear, and that's changed...... The FB position is another one that is going to come back as well, as the power gets reinstated......
I see it the other way around. Until defenses can stop these new offenses, they will continue to proliferate. When defenses adjust, the pendulum will swing in the other direction, but not until. JMO

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
So all that footwork Wilson did in camp executing the 4-6-3 DP as NYYs' second baseman of the future is paying off then? Wait a minute, you said "slide," not pivot...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Yea, the game is changing before our eyes that is for sure and nowhere is it more stark than at the QB position. That Mahomes kid, wow! But one thing that will never change is that the game continues to be won in the trenches. I have not seen a whole lot of NFL games this year but being able to run the football and play defense seems to be the trademark of the 49ers and the Titans.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
So all that footwork Wilson did in camp executing the 4-6-3 DP as NYYs' second baseman of the future is paying off then? Wait a minute, you said "slide," not pivot...
He was drafted by the stRangers, with the intent of being a pitcher.

Not sure how that stinking team from New Jerk got dragged into this discussion.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I see it the other way around. Until defenses can stop these new offenses, they will continue to proliferate. When defenses adjust, the pendulum will swing in the other direction, but not until. JMO
For the most part. But, someone will decide to buck the trend, long before it is popular.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Those baseball skills were on full display yesterday.

Reactions: Con

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
While I agree things have changed at the NFL level for mobile QB's, the two QB's in the 2019 Super Bowl were statue QB's (Brady and Goff). I still think the majority of NFL QB's are still more pro style as opposed to dual threat. I think if you can get your hands on one like Jackson, Wilson or Mahomes who can consistently preform in the NFL you are fortunate.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If the Titans can win the Super Bowl...... watch how quickly it will change.....

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
While I agree things have changed at the NFL level for mobile QB's, the two QB's in the 2019 Super Bowl were statue QB's (Brady and Goff). I still think the majority of NFL QB's are still more pro style as opposed to dual threat. I think if you can get your hands on one like Jackson, Wilson or Mahomes who can consistently preform in the NFL you are fortunate.

How else do you explain Justin Herbert being a 1st round pick?

Personally, I wouldn't draft him.....but that mindset is still pretty entrenched

Reactions: TiderJack

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I doubt it. One team, one season won't change more than a decade of momentum.
Somewhere, a little boy is being told he's a linebacker -- but he wants to wear "22" and carry the rock! ;)

One thing I've learned is that what used to take a decade, how only takes 10 months....

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The Mobile QB in the NFL is by no means new but we've seen it over and over that if too much of their game is based off them running around the best NFL defenses (which they see in the playoffs) are going to shut that aspect down and their passing has to be on par. I'm not saying these new young bucks won't get there, some of them might, but it's got to progress to the point that they can take over a game with their arm. Even Wilson's freakish performance last night was fun to watch, but he almost blew it about 6 times and somehow the ball bounced right every time, even with that it was not enough to win without a run game. I for one am hoping the Titans win it all, because they have a "walmart" Quarterback handing off to a thoroughbred stallion and a solid defense. If they win it all we might see some real football coming back to the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.