Question: Question about Chizik's post-game interview with Holly Rowe

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I imagine this meathead was actually praying that Auburn would skate on the Cam deal...when they lucked out and did skate, well, he now thinks he must be one of God's favorites.

Next we'll be hearing about God speaking to him via burning bushes or poisoned trees.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Florida is a shell of an SEC football team right now. And it took them completely fumbling the game away with undisciplined play for Auburn to win. At home. Let that sink in for second.

Auburn's revenge tour is about to begin. LSU, Georgia, and Alabama will have a few things to get recompense for in the next few weeks. We'll see if Cheezik is as arrogant in post game interviews after those games.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
It is Sunday, but I'll bite.

I always eagerly said the lords prayer before games, and I applied it to all players, coaches and fans on the field, not just my team or me.

Any coach that publicly states that God has anything to do with their football success is displaying simple-mindedness/arrogance.
this.

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
I wouldn't have a problem with it if he didn't blatantly lie to start out with, and then finish with a God reference. The original question that was posed to him was why they decided to make a change at QB (they pulled Trotter and inserted Mosely). After thinking for a second, Chizik said "we just felt if was time," and then after he couldn't think of anything else meaningful to say, he throws in the God reference so he could finish dodging the question.

tmv85

All-SEC
honestly...who have they beat? who? a overhyped MSU team that would have a hard time being a middle of the pack Conf. USA team? a Florida team that is on life support right now? i mean sheesh, Florida ahsn't been the same since we beat them in the SEC Championship game. who have they beat that is of any import? South Carolina maybe? have you watched them play? to be honest, LSU and Bama have a strangle hold on the SEC right now and the other teams seem to have given up already.....
According to them, WE haven't beaten anybody, but what is interesting is that the "nobody" Arkansas team we beat turned around and beat them. Now that they've beaten Florida, they'll talk about what a great win it is, even though just weeks ago, our win was meaningless. Their lack of reasoning is astounding.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
According to them, WE haven't beaten anybody, but what is interesting is that the "nobody" Arkansas team we beat turned around and beat them. Now that they've beaten Florida, they'll talk about what a great win it is, even though just weeks ago, our win was meaningless. Their lack of reasoning is astounding.
It's just barn logic, and I really want to hear what it sounds like after the Tide beats them into a brown puddle.

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN
If God is actually God, and he is who he says he is (infinitely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, able to hear and respond to all prayers, judge of all our thoughts and intentions, and concerned with pretty much every aspect of our lives), then wouldn't that mean he is concerned with sports and is able to affect their events and outcomes? I don't see why this idea is so farfetched, if you are a believer in God.

(That doesn't mean I agree that God has been helping Auburn. I also can't say with any assurance that any particular sporting event was affected by God in a particular way.)

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If God is actually God, and he is who he says he is (infinitely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, able to hear and respond to all prayers, judge of all our thoughts and intentions, and concerned with pretty much every aspect of our lives), then wouldn't that mean he is concerned with sports and is able to affect their events and outcomes? I don't see why this idea is so farfetched, if you are a believer in God.

(That doesn't mean I agree that God has been helping Auburn. I also can't say with any assurance that any particular sporting event was affected by God in a particular way.)
This.

The Protestant Reformers argued that God was sovereign over everything, and that would include a football game. (Plenty of Catholic theologians would agree with this, too) I have no objection to the belief that God, for whatever reason, chooses who will win and lose each game. I do object, strenuously, to any coach - including any Alabama coach - suggesting or asserting that God wanted our team to win, or that our team was somehow uniquely blessed by God in a way that some other team wasn't. That's going way too far, and on a theological level, you'd be hard pressed to find any serious theologian who would defend that point.

TiderB

All-American
Dec 18, 2002
Birmingham, AL

Then the idea of free will goes out the window.

I see this thread being moved to non-sports very shortly.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Then the idea of free will goes out the window.

I see this thread being moved to non-sports very shortly.
That's probably true. But I'll comment with this: along the line of thought that "God is who He says He is", His mission and reason for being and doing are on a completely different plane and level than what mere mortals are concerned with. We see a football game and get emotionally tied to the result, and I doubt very seriously He does. Any effect He has on the outcome is for a reason that is far above our heads.

And that is what is so disingenuous of Chizik and a lot of Auburn fans I hear who spout his tripe. They believe God is willing them to win because He favors Auburn. Because Auburn is a godly University. I don't have to tell any rational adult how dangerous that line of thinking is.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Does being good to a team = winning? So was God bad to Florida? Was he responsible for the sun in the Florida player's eyes and lack of concentration? It just opens up a can of worms.

Things like life lessons and individual triumphs are a different story, and also what is in your heart. But for a team winning a game, tell your wife, team and Pastor, just skip national television!

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
I believe God is interested in eternal things, salvation, and the souls of people. The idea that He helps one sports team beat another is just silly.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180

With that said then God definitely was against the barn and for Clemson and Arkansas. LOL

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'll say this, and then I'll bow out of this thread.

The idea that God has some purpose in the outcome of even the most mundane parts of our lives is very much at home in orthodox Christianity. The idea is that he is completely indifferent to our daily comings and goings is less at home in Christianity and much more at home in deism.

I should note, however, that to presume God is on our side when dealing with matters upon which the Scriptures are silent - like, say, the outcome of a football game, is the height of arrogance and it is, in my own humble view, sinful.

One additional note - as obnoxious as Chizik's comments are, you hear this sort of stuff all the time in high school athletics. And yes, it makes me skin crawl, too.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before moving the thread, I'll make the observation that in the great wars of history, each side has been firmly convinced that God was its side. We're still suffering from that...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.