Question: Question about clemson lb hit on fields

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
It was not only targeting but appeared to be designed to inflict maximum force to JF, to knock him out of the game. The funny thing I was talking to my wife about Skalski being a male appendage and sure enough about 10 minutes later he did this.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I’m on the opposite end of this one. I’m completely in favor of the targeting rule and I understand the definition, but sometimes fault lies with the offensive player. Fields was about 3-4 yards away and on Skalski’s right side when loaded up for the hit. If Fields would have stayed on his path this probably would have been a perfect form tackle, but he tried a juke move and spun into the hit. I’m absolutely in favor of the targeting rule, but often times offensive players draw the targeting calls because they change their trajectory or body position after the defensive player has already committed.
The defensive player can change direction if he KEEPS HIS HEAD UP LIKE HE'S SUPPOSED TO. What we saw there isn't close to a perfect form tackle.

When they lower their heads like that, yeah, the ball carrier can move and they have no idea, as they're staring at the ground instead of the guys belt buckle.

This is tackling 101, and it's shocking that we still have players at high levels of the sport who don't know better. Either Skalski is dumb as a bag of hammers or he's dirty. Or both.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The defensive player can change direction if he KEEPS HIS HEAD UP LIKE HE'S SUPPOSED TO. What we saw there isn't close to a perfect form tackle.

When they lower their heads like that, yeah, the ball carrier can move and they have no idea, as they're staring at the ground instead of the guys belt buckle.

This is tackling 101, and it's shocking that we still have players at high levels of the sport who don't know better. Either Skalski is dumb as a bag of hammers or he's dirty. Or both.
I’m going with both.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Thanks for that. That’s my biggest beef with the targeting at the CFB level I suppose. One mistake and you’re gone and possibly missing the next one
It's really not difficult to tackle properly. I'd bet greater than 99% of ejections come from careless / head-hunting or poor form. Correct those two things and you are very unlikely to have any issues.

bamamanatpurdue

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2000
Midland, MI
www.et.cmich.edu
Note I am a high school official with limited knowledge of NCAA rules. In High School the hit would not have been targeting. The Federation has a separate rule for hitting with the crown of the helmet. Also, I have seen defenders break their neck with such a hit; it reminded me of Chucky Mullins hit on the VU player.

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
I’m on the opposite end of this one. I’m completely in favor of the targeting rule and I understand the definition, but sometimes fault lies with the offensive player. Fields was about 3-4 yards away and on Skalski’s right side when loaded up for the hit. If Fields would have stayed on his path this probably would have been a perfect form tackle, but he tried a juke move and spun into the hit. I’m absolutely in favor of the targeting rule, but often times offensive players draw the targeting calls because they change their trajectory or body position after the defensive player has already committed.
So the offensive player isn’t supposed to try to avoid a tackle by juking and spinning?

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
I
nope - the penalty isn't just for hitting with the helmet. Had the clemson LB kept his head UP and hit with the facemask, it is not a penalty, therefore nothing Fields did changed that. The penalty is 100% about hitting with the crown (TOP) of the helmet.
I don’t disagree with anyone that Skalski isn’t a jerk, And that this hit will never make it into the heads up tackling manual. I also don’t disagree with the letter of the rule that it appears he led with his helmet. I’m just stating that often times players lead with their shoulder and their head gets in the way. If Fields wouldn’t have spun he likely would have taken a hard shoulder to the mid-section and this would be a completely different conversation.

Reactions: Tenntiderman

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
nope - the penalty isn't just for hitting with the helmet. Had the clemson LB kept his head UP and hit with the facemask, it is not a penalty, therefore nothing Fields did changed that. The penalty is 100% about hitting with the crown (TOP) of the helmet.
This is true. There is a lot of misunderstanding of the rule...

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Note I am a high school official with limited knowledge of NCAA rules. In High School the hit would not have been targeting. The Federation has a separate rule for hitting with the crown of the helmet. Also, I have seen defenders break their neck with such a hit; it reminded me of Chucky Mullins hit on the VU player.
Are you referring to the hit that paralyzed Chucky Mullins at Ole Miss?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I remember Coach Stallings being on Finebaum one day after targeting first started to be called. You would think he would have taken the old school route but said he agreed with it entirely. He also said in his special way, "if they took the facemasks off the helmets, all of that would come to a stop in a hurry." lol

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I

I don’t disagree with anyone that Skalski isn’t a jerk, And that this hit will never make it into the heads up tackling manual. I also don’t disagree with the letter of the rule that it appears he led with his helmet. I’m just stating that often times players lead with their shoulder and their head gets in the way. If Fields wouldn’t have spun he likely would have taken a hard shoulder to the mid-section and this would be a completely different conversation.
The rule is intended to put the burden on the defensive player not to lead with the crown of his helmet, which Skalski did. "If he hadn't dodged, I wouldn't have lowered my head" doesn't cut it. Even when tackling with the shoulder, the head must remain up. IOW, no excuses...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.