Question for Bama fans

CoachInWaiting

Scout Team
Nov 27, 2017
Especially for those of you who, like me, have been life-long Bama fans....born into died-in-the-wool Crimson Tide families with solid allegiance to the Capstone. Do any of you have any other college teams/programs that you follow closely and take a real interest in besides Alabama? If so, what are they and is there a reason for it?

I became a fan of Vanderbilt back in the early/mid 70's when Steve Sloan began coaching there. They quickly became my 2nd favorite team, and remained so over the years. Some of the reason may also be a bit like the reason so many are fans of the Chicago Cubs throughout the past several decades, due to their perennial underdog status. The service academies, especially Army, are also favorites. The sparsity of games against Alabama between these schools is probably another factor in their maintaining a favored status. To a lesser degree, I have always had a favorite or two in each conference that I would prefer to see win over others in that conference. What say you?

Ledsteplin

All-SEC
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
The University of North Alabama Lions. I grew up in Florence, attending many games. It's my Alma Mater.
I have a mild soft spot for those Ramblin' Wrecks over in Georgia. My cousin played for them back in the 60s.

CoachInWaiting

Scout Team
Nov 27, 2017
The University of North Alabama Lions. I grew up in Florence, attending many games. It's my Alma Mater.
I have a mild soft spot for those Ramblin' Wrecks over in Georgia. My cousin played for them back in the 60s.
Thanks for that reply. It's always interesting to me to know where and why others share their fan support. In a side note, if I listed the teams that give me a chuckle when they lose, Tech would be right behind awbarn. The animosity of their fans against Alabama in the 60's has never set well with me, and I guess it never will.

Go4Two1966

Jan 14, 2018
Like most Alabama fans, I always liked Penn State and pulled for them unless of course they were playing us. I was heartbroken about how Joe's career ended. I am anxious, not eager but anxious, to see what that mini-series on Paterno, played by Pacino, is going to look like. I still pull for Penn State. We have a great relationship with them; and they have the second-best uniforms in the game IMO.

Valley View

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I know this may sound downright crazy, but when I moved up to Tennessee in the mid 80's I thought about adopting the Viles as my second team. But after meeting many, many, obnoxious orange nut jobs I quickly changed my mind. Remember this was before fat phil screwed over Johnny Majors. IMO fat phil changed UT from a fellow SEC team to our second biggest rival after Awbern.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Mississippi State- closest campus to my hometown in AL. We had a few kids play football & basketball there. Lots of MSU fans where I grew up (after Bama & AU) so I grew up following them but not necessarily rooting for them. Frankly, I’ve always kinda felt sorry bully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenntiderman

1st Team
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I like the Wyoming Cowboys. Love that state. I like ALL the states up in that area. I have a new favorite 3rd team. Utah St. Great folks up that way, and I enjoy their playing style. I also follow the Air Force Falcons pretty closely. Love the production from the players they recruit. Complete dedication. But I would have to say Wyoming would be #2! Go Cowboys!

Tenntiderman

1st Team
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I know this may sound downright crazy, but when I moved up to Tennessee in the mid 80's I thought about adopting the Viles as my second team. But after meeting many, many, obnoxious orange nut jobs I quickly changed my mind. Remember this was before fat phil screwed over Johnny Majors. IMO fat phil changed UT from a fellow SEC team to our second biggest rival after Awbern.
I have quite a few very good friends who are dedicated Big Orange fans, and they understand that not everyone is. When UT wins...I feel great for them. When UT loses....I feel even greater for the rest of that crowd whom you can't even have a conversation with.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Glad to see UNA joined FCS. My wife is a Jax State grad and we go to most of their games. Nice to see the rivalry start back up next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles17

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I halfway adopt a team when I live in a different state and try to watch them some. Out here it's the Cal Golden Bears and Oregon St Beavers. Otherwise I just enjoy college football and watch the games that are compelling to me. I also root for whomever is playing UTe, ND, and AU.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Louisiana Tech was where I originally went to school before transferring to Bama. I still keep tabs on them and take my boys to a game every now and then since they are only an hour away.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
I grew up in Florence and my parents and brother and many friends are alums. Although I am a UA alum, I have attended many UNA games and a couple of their 90’s championship wins and take particular pride in how they do each year. Will be interesting to see how they do long-term in D1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

All-SEC
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I grew up in Florence and my parents and brother and many friends are alums. Although I am a UA alum, I have attended many UNA games and a couple of their 90’s championship wins and take particular pride in how they do each year. Will be interesting to see how they do long-term in D1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They're 3 and 1 so far. Lost to ND State.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
1. Having moved quite a bit growing up due to my father's jobs and living in Ohio for 4 years, I have always been a fan of tOSU, with the caveat that since Meyer has been HC, I cannot support them.

2. I have been a fan of LSU since the Billy Cannon days when I would listen to LSU games on Saturday nights on WWL in New Orleans. I would say that they are my second favorite SEC team.

3. The service academies have been favorites since the days of Pete Dawkins and Roger Staubach.

4. I was always a fan of TAMU, CPB and CGS, but not so much now that they are an SEC member and annual opponent.

Latest threads