Question on the onside kick

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Isn't illegal to block our players from getting to the ball?. I thought the ref's missed the call there.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Isn't illegal to block our players from getting to the ball?. I thought the ref's missed the call there.
The answer is yes but it was reported that the ball went ten 10 yards before they were blocked or as Danielson reported simultaneously.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really have to give Arkansas a lot of credit for calling that. I don't know if our receiving team was lined up a little too far off the ball or if it just seemed that way, but it was a brilliant call and well executed.
It was one of the best executed onside kicks I have ever seen. I'm not sure you can do it more perfectly. Having said that, Alabama still got caught offguard and you can't let that happen.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I actually thought, while reviewing to see if the ball went ten yards, they should look at possible targeting. That double team block just in front of the kicker was vicious and, at least to me, it looked as though one of them led with his helmet.

That being said, it was an onside kick executed to perfection.

Edit: Of course with that group of nimrods officiating yesterday,, I should have had lower expectations.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's one of those plays where my emotion as an Alabama fan wants to be angry and find a way to overturn it, but that part of me that's a sports fan says, "That's pretty smart to do that." The stakes were obviously nowhere near as high, but it wasn't all that different from Saban called the onsides kick against Clemson in January 2016. "That's their alignment? Let's do it."

So after my anger cooled a few moments later, I was sorta, "Well, they're not giving up. Give them all the credit in the world."

That's the thing with sports - we have a near genius on the sidelines but he's not perfect. And every once in awhile - Malzahn in the 2013 IB, Pittman yesterday - we get outsmarted and feel like, well, every other team that plays us in a close game does. It's a weird feeling because we're usually inflicting the damage, not suffering it.

Since I no longer live in Arkansas, it's easier than it would be if I had. However - unless things have changed in the last 25 years, they will still tell you the refs screwed them every single game even when they lose by 50 points. It was one thing to hear that they should have beat us in that close game in 1994, but I had Arky fans insisting the refs hosed them when we beat them, 43-3, in 1993, too.

And Nolan Richardson is as good a reason as any to despise Arkansas anyway.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The explanation the CBS crew said was it past 10 yards so it was legal.
That was one thing Danielson explained really well, especially how "10 yards" is defined. Kind of like at the goal line, the ball has to break the plane of the 45 yard line. In the case of yesterday's onside kick, the ball took a hop up, and broke the plane in the air, not on the ground. And Arkansas was close to blocking before it did that. But it was really close, and there was no way it was going to be overturned.

They started backing up before they knew the kick was going downfield
Lesson learned. Something tells me that'll never happen again. Not this year, anyway.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I really have to give Arkansas a lot of credit for calling that. I don't know if our receiving team was lined up a little too far off the ball or if it just seemed that way, but it was a brilliant call and well executed.
Our front line guys bailed before checking onside responsibilities. Tough lesson to learn

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.