Question on the onside kick

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Well it seems after Arky pulled out all the stops last year(fake field goal and it seems there are others I can't recall) they would be ready for any of that kind of trickery because they seem so desperate to beat us they will do anything.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I thought the Hogs blocked our guys before the ball went 10 yards. I haven't gone back and freeze framed the play, but that's what I thought as CBS was replaying it waiting on the refs.

For us, I'm glad it happened. It won't happen again.

Reactions: Carollovestide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I thought the Hogs blocked our guys before the ball went 10 yards. I haven't gone back and freeze framed the play, but that's what I thought as CBS was replaying it waiting on the refs.

For us, I'm glad it happened. It won't happen again.
Nah, it was a perfectly executed onside kick. Initial contact wasn't until the ball had literally traveled 11 yards. We just got caught with our "draws down".

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Nah, it was a perfectly executed onside kick. Initial contact wasn't until the ball had literally traveled 11 yards. We just got caught with our "draws down".
The ball may have been touched before it went 10 yards. But, apparently, the camera angles didn't show it. It was good call by the officials, based on what they could see.

Reactions: dtgreg

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Bama has shown this problem all season. first line is 15 yards back and on their toes before the kick. I'm just glad it didn't show up against a team that would use it to be Alabama.

Vandy kicking off for example.

View attachment 29062
They're actually in a better position in that photo than they were in the Arkansas game. LOL!

In the Arkansas game their backs were immediately turned and running. LOL!

Reactions: B1GTide

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Bama has shown this problem all season. first line is 15 yards back and on their toes before the kick. I'm just glad it didn't show up against a team that would use it to be Alabama.

Vandy kicking off for example.

View attachment 29062
The moment it happened I thought to myself that Arkansas must have noticed something by studying film and this pretty much confirms it.

Reactions: dtgreg

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I learned something. I didn't know the kicking team can't block the receiving team until the ball travels 10 yards. That being the case, I hope we never again see everyone on the front line retreating before the ball is kicked.
True about everyone backing up ...

But replay CLEARLY showed they blocked us before it got 10 yds. The ball is the dot right before the 45yd line above the hash toward our sideline and Arky is blocking at least 1 of our players before it crosses the 45. It should have been easily discernable that this was illegal. Again, the replay system as currently implemented sucks.

1664908078907.png

Attachments

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

But replay CLEARLY showed they blocked us before it got 10 yds. The ball is the dot right before the 45yd line above the hash toward our sideline and Arky is blocking at least 1 of our players before it crosses the 45. It should have been easily discernable that this was illegal. Again, the replay system as currently implemented sucks.

View attachment 29074
Could playing it as Bama has been, be one of the reasons Kool-aid has such good returns?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

View attachment 29074
Additionally I would say the Arkansas blocker coming in from the kicker’s right, in addition to being offside, should have at least been reviewed for possible targeting. While it is possible he did lead with his shoulder, I’ve seen much, much less questionable contact reviewed. And as we know, targeting doesn’t have be called on the field to be reviewed. The game is stopped to look at the ball location, review for targeting too.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
They're actually in a better position in that photo than they were in the Arkansas game. LOL!

In the Arkansas game their backs were immediately turned and running. LOL!
'Cept for Kool-Aid in the return game and accompanying penalty-free blocking for him, you almost thought Saban had brought in Banks' snake princess exotic dancer girlfriend "Pole Assassin" and her simian assistant to handle special teams against the Pig Sooies.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

View attachment 29074
I was coming here to post a similar picture. I had not had time to check the replay until today. I took a similar picture, but yours is better. I froze mine when the targeting Hog made contact with our guy. The ball is so out of focus in that frame it's hard to see where it is without following it in each individual frame and watching the kickers eyes.

There's no way that should not have been a penalty on Arky. Nice concept and beautiful kick, but as they say, rules is rules.

I hadn't even noticed the offsides.

Reactions: BamaNation

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
With the money being thrown around to coaches for them to not coach, one would think we could get 8 or 10 8k cameras at 120 fps and not have to have screwups like this because of poor video. Every D1 stadium should be required to have $1 million in replay tech. Can’t afford it.? No problem. Drop back down to D1aa where you belong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.