Question Regarding End of 1st Half Ala-Aub Football Game

TerryR

Bamanation Citizen
Aug 12, 2011
Wetumpka, AL
Realize there's been a lot of discussion on this game. I heard on a Montgomery radio sports talk show today that Alabama called a timeout before the field goal attempt by Auburn. I don't recall that happening and if it did we deserve the result. I thought Malzan came out on the field (without a timeout) and lobbied the referee to review the time remaining to get a clock reset. Can anyone enlighten me? This was probably the most frustrating games I've watched in my 78 years of life.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Realize there's been a lot of discussion on this game. I heard on a Montgomery radio sports talk show today that Alabama called a timeout before the field goal attempt by Auburn. I don't recall that happening and if it did we deserve the result. I thought Malzan came out on the field (without a timeout) and lobbied the referee to review the time remaining to get a clock reset. Can anyone enlighten me? This was probably the most frustrating games I've watched in my 78 years of life.
Why would Alabama call a timeout for Auburn who didn’t have any?

Auburn had the ball with no timeouts and had just inexplicably ran to the middle of the field and fought off several tacklers, chewing up the rest of the time off the clock. The referees bailed them out and gave them a free kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Did you consider the source? Did the source have an IQ higher than that of a soapdish?

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

TerryR

Bamanation Citizen
Aug 12, 2011
Wetumpka, AL
Did you consider the source? Did the source have an IQ higher than that of a soapdish?

No need to be condescending. I've heard several explanations. Personally, I thought the clock should have been just allowed to run out. What is your recollection sir?

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
Alabama did not call a timeout, the referee started the clock as soon as he got in position. The problem is by reviewing the time left it gave Auburn a free timeout to run the kicking team on the field. Unfortunately, it was all by the rules but the rules need to be tweaked to say you cannot change personnel in those situations because if the ref had said 1 second left, put the ball at the line of scrimmage and started the clock Auburn may or may not have gotten the snap off in time and even if they did the only play would have been a hail mary.

TerryR

Bamanation Citizen
Aug 12, 2011
Wetumpka, AL
Another fix would be to get rid of stopping the clock on 1st downs.

Thanks. I agree the refs botched the whole series of events. First, Malzahn shouldn't have been allowed to come on the field asking for a clock review. There was no predicate for that. There always seems to be at least one or two plays or calls that kills us down there.
No offense Tidewater - I too couldn't find any rationale for Ala to call a timeout but the sports talk host insisted to a caller that Ala called a timeout. You're probably right about the soapdish :)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No need to be condescending. I've heard several explanations. Personally, I thought the clock should have been just allowed to run out. What is your recollection sir?
I was not trying to be insulting to you. It sounds like a Barner (hence the soapdish comment) trying to make excuses over the radio waves for the atrociously bad officiating at the close of the first half.

No. Alabama did not call timeout at the end of the 1st half. The officials just made an egregious error in judgment.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, there are about 30 pages of comments about this in the post-game thread.

BayouBama75

1st Team
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
They need to have a rule about when the clock stops for a review, there is a 5-10 second run off if the clock is running in the last two minutes of either half. The run-off can be prevented by using a TO. I think they have this rule in the NFL

RollTide_HTTR

All-American
Feb 22, 2017
IMO you shouldn't be able to sub in those situations unless you have a time out. That's a rule change I would support.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Thanks. I agree the refs botched the whole series of events. First, Malzahn shouldn't have been allowed to come on the field asking for a clock review. There was no predicate for that. There always seems to be at least one or two plays or calls that kills us down there.
No offense Tidewater - I too couldn't find any rationale for Ala to call a timeout but the sports talk host insisted to a caller that Ala called a timeout. You're probably right about the soapdish :)
And just a couple weeks earlier, he was dressed down and put in his place by the white hat (as he should have been). I think it was in the uga game. Exactly what the gutless white hat should have done saturday night.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Malzahn whines in the officials ear the whole game and always has. How many Illegal men downfield did they ignore Saturday? The officials just let him dictate to them instead of them dictating to him. If I remember right this crew tends to throw a lot of laundry on the field and they simply didn't stand up and do the right thing which likely cost us the game. I haven't seen the SEC comment. What did Shaw have to say? Usually they start with the answer and work there way back with an explanation to match. Also, isn't the official supposed to give us to time to substitute when the other team puts in new players? The referee is supposed to stand behind the center until we've had time to put our players in.

Latest threads