Rank the top 5 current SEC head coaches

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Well, rank 2-5. Saban at 1 is a given. Riley or Sark aren’t eligible yet.

For me it is :

2) Kirby
3) Mullen
4) Jimbo
5) Orgeron

It pains me to admit 2-4 because I don’t like them. I think Lane and O are interchangeable at 5 but Lane is so one sided and that affects his ranking.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Nick Saban
2. Nick Saban drunk
3. Nick Saban asleep
4. Nick Saban with one hand tied behind his back
5. Mrs.. Saban

I will defend my stance: Saban is old and stubborn. Yet here we are: he’s out offensed Mullen and Fisher, taken his defensive protege to the woodshed, and out recruited one of the lead recruiters on the last great dynasty (Ogre and USC). None of these clowns need to be on this list. He’s beaten them at the games he was supposed to be too stubborn to adapt to.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Nick Saban
2. Nick Saban drunk
3. Nick Saban asleep
5. Mrs.. Saban

I will defend my stance: Saban is old and stubborn. Yet here we are: he’s out offensed Mullen and Fisher, taken his defensive protege to the woodshed, and out recruited one of the lead recruiters on the last great dynasty (Ogre and USC). None of these clowns need to be on this list. He’s beaten them at the games he was supposed to be too stubborn to adapt to.
Numbers is numbers. Saban is getting old, and there’s no denying that.

Stubborn, he isn’t. Les Miles and Gene Stallings were stubborn, and the game passed both by, leaving them sitting on folding chairs in their garages yelling the coaching version of, “Get off my lawn!”

Saban has shown both a willingness and an ability to change that the game hasn’t seen since Bryant. And he’s done it in a much more competitive environment, wherein evolution is greatly accelerated.

Saban has a physical philosophy, rooted in dominating the LOS. But he’s malleable enough to tailor that philosophy to the rules as they are enforced on the field.

He is old. He has demonstrated that he is far from stubborn.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
1.Saban
2. Kirby
3. Jimbo
4. Mullen
5. Kiffin
Post Expansion
1. Saban
2. Kirby
3. Riley
4. Jimbo
5. Mullen

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
1. Saban

then..

(Long way down from 1)
2. Orgeron (he won the NCG once)
3. Smart (he made it to the NCG once)
4. Dan Mullen
5. Mike Leach (for the laughs)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
1) Saban
2) Jimbo
3) Kirby
4) Kiffin
5) Leach

Drink Is probably one to watch. Harsin really who knows.
If you include recruiting in coaching, then Kirby is at least #3. Otherwise he is not in the top 8 -- no one else has done so little with so much. As much as I really don't care for his personality, Mullen has to be up there somewhere. I also think LK is over rated.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you include recruiting in coaching, then Kirby is at least #3. Otherwise he is not in the top 8 -- no one else has done so little with so much. As much as I really don't care for his personality, Mullen has to be up there somewhere. I also think LK is over rated.
Well if we are being honest… Mullen is an underachiever as well.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Nick Saban
2. Nick Saban drunk
3. Nick Saban asleep
5. Mrs.. Saban

Mrs. Terry is too low on this list.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure yet...the cupboard was pretty bare when he arrived and the atmosphere was toxic...they gave us fits last year in the SEC championship game. I think they and A&M will give us our toughest in-season games this year.
I have my doubts. I think Alabama beats Florida by 3-4 scores even without knowing how good Bryce is.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.