Rank your road experiences

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do a lot of traveling to see Alabama and really missed out last year. I’m going to Florida this year as long as nothing gets in the way of it. You don’t have to rank all of them but I was interested which ones rank highest.

1) 2015 Cotton Bowl- I love going to Dallas and it was an easy going game. I love the stadium and Michigan St fans weren’t like their Maize and Blue brethren.

2) 2017 aTm- probably some of the nicest fans in the SEC. Kyle Field is probably the most impressive stadium in the SEC. The crowd interaction is pretty cool even though it’s silly.

3) 2016 LSU- While I give the Bengal Tigahs hell… they know how to party and make an intimidating atmosphere. It was a very fun trip and tense game.

4) 2018 NCG (Bama vs UGA)- This is lower because the cost of living through it mixed with having obnoxious Georgia fans barking at me constantly has taken 10 years off my life. It really was only a fun experience at the end, and it was a great story to tell how I made it in the stadium without a ticket.

5) 2018 Sugar Bowl- Getting revenge on Clemson and having a fun trip in NOLA with my friends… what more can you ask for.

6) 2018 Tennessee- Kicking the crap out of the Vols, smoking a good cigar, and enjoying a beautiful trip up through northern Alabama and southern Tennessee to get to the game.

7) 2014 SECCG- this is mostly here because it’s the only SECCG I’ve been to. Not really much to say.

8) 2012 Missouri- Can you say Monsoon in Missouri. God it rained forever. I saw a lot of fights between Royals and Cardinals fans break out in the stands. The fans were nice and the campus was decent. It’s the only stadium that offered free parking that I’ve been to.

9) 2019 USCe- Hot hot hot. I had great seats and was right in front of Najee when he hurdled that guy. The parking on the fairgrounds thing wasn’t my favorite tradition they have. But as a trip it’s in my top 10 because the next two days I went to see the Braves play at the Nats and then to Gettysburg.

10) 2018 Orange Bowl- Not really a fan of Miami but Alabama and Oklahoma was too hard to pass up. The trip was okay. Hung out with friends. Went to Joes Stone crabs (highly recommend it). The stadium is very meh. The game was just okay. Finally saw Bama beat Oklahoma in my life.

11 and 12) 2014 WVU and 2016 Peach Bowl- these kinda run together for me. They were really boring games in the GA Dome. Really nothing travel wise about them that stands out other than we won.

13) 2015 Sugar Bowl- One of only 3 losses I’ve ever seen in person and the only one on the road. The atmosphere around the game was amazing. Had we won then this may have been top 5.

14) 2017 Miss St- nice stadium, but too much cowbell and redneck stuff. Parking was atrocious since their answer to it is to park you on a Greek lawn. The bell puns are too numerous to count.

15) 2015 Auburn- a nicer version of Legion Field. The video screen is pretty amazing to be honest. The campus is okay. But I saw enough craziness and rudeness to know to never go back there. I will stick to my 1-0 record.

16) 2016 Ole Miss- the grove is overrated. The fan experience was by far the worst I have ever encountered on a personal level. There are better Texas high school stadiums than Vaught Hemingway. It was insanely hot. The only good part was enjoying a win on the road with my mom. She always wanted to see the grove. But I will not ever go back.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
2012 at LSU. We park at a church and I ask my 14 YO how long until we hear "Tigah Bait". Answer is before we walk off the church grounds. We met up with the family of a friend he made at summer camp who were wonderful hosts. Our seats were in the upper deck, and I watched this tremendous LSU fan near me the entire game. He was loud and energetic, but never disrespectful or profane towards the Bama visitors. On the last drive, that upper deck perspective really allowed me to see how soft the LSU secondary and linebackers were playing. I commented to the Bama fan next to me that a screen pass might work big against that soft prevent. Ha ! After the game, I look over at the LSU fan and he's sprawled on the bleachers without moving. I went over and told him I'd watched him and how impressed I was with his fandom and how he conducted himself. He kept repeating in a muffled voice "I just love my Tigahs". I've never seen a huge crowd like that be so quiet after the game. Even other Tide fans we'd pass would sorta whisper "Roll Tide" and move on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1) PNC Park - not a better place to watch a game.

2) Target Field - very good or at least it was before Minneapolis turned into Beirut.

3) Ole Miss - went there really before it became a big deal back in 1995

4) Fenway Park - for the history

The only places I've seen road football games:

Amon G. Carter Stadium (2007 and 2008 Armed Forces Bowls) - parking was a nightmare, bad if windy

Starkvegas - I can't hear myself think after those games. Second one where I was all the way down in the last rows of the opposing side on a Thursday night so not so bad

2006 Cotton Bowl - packed in like a sardine, great weather though

2012 Michigan (Jerry World) - awful acoustics, bands overplaying, Starkvegas without the "ding" irritation

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I do a lot of traveling to see Alabama and really missed out last year. I’m going to Florida this year as long as nothing gets in the way of it. You don’t have to rank all of them but I was interested which ones rank highest.

1) 2015 Cotton Bowl- I love going to Dallas and it was an easy going game. I love the stadium and Michigan St fans weren’t like their Maize and Blue brethren.

2) 2017 aTm- probably some of the nicest fans in the SEC. Kyle Field is probably the most impressive stadium in the SEC. The crowd interaction is pretty cool even though it’s silly.

3) 2016 LSU- While I give the Bengal Tigahs hell… they know how to party and make an intimidating atmosphere. It was a very fun trip and tense game.

4) 2018 NCG (Bama vs UGA)- This is lower because the cost of living through it mixed with having obnoxious Georgia fans barking at me constantly has taken 10 years off my life. It really was only a fun experience at the end, and it was a great story to tell how I made it in the stadium without a ticket.

5) 2018 Sugar Bowl- Getting revenge on Clemson and having a fun trip in NOLA with my friends… what more can you ask for.

6) 2018 Tennessee- Kicking the crap out of the Vols, smoking a good cigar, and enjoying a beautiful trip up through northern Alabama and southern Tennessee to get to the game.

7) 2014 SECCG- this is mostly here because it’s the only SECCG I’ve been to. Not really much to say.

8) 2012 Missouri- Can you say Monsoon in Missouri. God it rained forever. I saw a lot of fights between Royals and Cardinals fans break out in the stands. The fans were nice and the campus was decent. It’s the only stadium that offered free parking that I’ve been to.

9) 2019 USCe- Hot hot hot. I had great seats and was right in front of Najee when he hurdled that guy. The parking on the fairgrounds thing wasn’t my favorite tradition they have. But as a trip it’s in my top 10 because the next two days I went to see the Braves play at the Nats and then to Gettysburg.

10) 2018 Orange Bowl- Not really a fan of Miami but Alabama and Oklahoma was too hard to pass up. The trip was okay. Hung out with friends. Went to Joes Stone crabs (highly recommend it). The stadium is very meh. The game was just okay. Finally saw Bama beat Oklahoma in my life.

11 and 12) 2014 WVU and 2016 Peach Bowl- these kinda run together for me. They were really boring games in the GA Dome. Really nothing travel wise about them that stands out other than we won.

13) 2015 Sugar Bowl- One of only 3 losses I’ve ever seen in person and the only one on the road. The atmosphere around the game was amazing. Had we won then this may have been top 5.

14) 2017 Miss St- nice stadium, but too much cowbell and redneck stuff. Parking was atrocious since their answer to it is to park you on a Greek lawn. The bell puns are too numerous to count.

15) 2015 Auburn- a nicer version of Legion Field. The video screen is pretty amazing to be honest. The campus is okay. But I saw enough craziness and rudeness to know to never go back there. I will stick to my 1-0 record.

16) 2016 Ole Miss- the grove is overrated. The fan experience was by far the worst I have ever encountered on a personal level. There are better Texas high school stadiums than Vaught Hemingway. It was insanely hot. The only good part was enjoying a win on the road with my mom. She always wanted to see the grove. But I will not ever go back.
First and foremost...there's nothing like being on UA's campus on a (hopefully cool and crisp) fall Saturday morning with the expectation of a kickoff just a few hours away!.

I agree TAMU's stadium is impressive but the tailgating experience was too "corporate" for me. It didn't "feel like" the quad for sure. As you say, the stadium is very, very impressive (despite their weird traditions).

Ole Miss is closest to what I've experienced in T-town in terms of tailgating. It's nice but it seems they "try too hard" to be fancy. Their stadium is nice but small and not that intimidating.

I also love attending games in Knoxville. I love the east Tenn. mountains and anytime I can see Bama and UT clash I'll go. Their stadium reminds me of a slightly improved version of Legion Field. But their game day experience is fun and very traditional.

Jerry World is impressive, but I'd rather be on campus setting.

Saw Bama in 2011 BCS against LSU in NOLA...crazy pre-game atmosphere. Enjoyed the game experience.

Saw Bama/ND in the Dolphins stadium. Nice, but again the setting left something to be desired.

Never been to Auburn and don't plan on it.

BTW, DKR is nice is Austin. It's a headache getting there and parking, but it's a nice stadium and their addition to the south ez will be nice.

Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
First and foremost...there's nothing like being on UA's campus on a (hopefully cool and crisp) fall Saturday morning with the expectation of a kickoff just a few hours away!.

I agree TAMU's stadium is impressive but the tailgating experience was too "corporate" for me. It didn't "feel like" the quad for sure. As you say, the stadium is very, very impressive (despite their weird traditions).

Ole Miss is closest to what I've experienced in T-town in terms of tailgating. It's nice but it seems they "try too hard" to be fancy. Their stadium is nice but small and not that intimidating.

I also love attending games in Knoxville. I love the east Tenn. mountains and anytime I can see Bama and UT clash I'll go. Their stadium reminds me of a slightly improved version of Legion Field. But their game day experience is fun and very traditional.

Jerry World is impressive, but I'd rather be on campus setting.

Saw Bama in 2011 BCS against LSU in NOLA...crazy pre-game atmosphere. Enjoyed the game experience.

Saw Bama/ND in the Dolphins stadium. Nice, but again the setting left something to be desired.

Never been to Auburn and don't plan on it.

BTW, DKR is nice is Austin. It's a headache getting there and parking, but it's a nice stadium and their addition to the south ez will be nice.
I’ve been by DKR when I lived in San Antonio. It is by a major highway if I remember.

As for Kyle field. Yeah their tailgating is all spread out and you feel like you are on a very nice Army base. But their stadium is really what BDS should be. There are no big lines to the bathroom and concessions, the concourses are huge, and they have escalators. Overall I was really impressed with it.

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
MDB Member here.

Best road trips for me occurred during the one good year we had while I was there: '99.

1.) SEC Championship Game in Atlanta - Perk of traveling on SEC money instead of athletic department money is the 4* Hotel the put us up in. It wasn't the longest trip, just a weekend, but given that we won the game, it was rather great.

2.) Auburn - We'd never won there since starting to play there. We got over that hump that night. The Auburn fans were just as classy as you'd expect, including those delightful shirts that, when properly folded, reveal a message that shows just how classy they were. The bus driver pretty much had to lay on the horn to get us to our designated parking spot. We got flicked off by a kid in a stroller, which was new. Once we got into the stadium, we got to really experience how INSANELY loud JH stadium is. And the eagle landing midfield was pretty cool, tbh. Then Shaun Alexander had a great night and we left with the win. Unfortunately, it was just a day trip.

3.) Orange Bowl - This was a nice trip. Something like 5 days long, over New Years rolling to 2000 in Miami. The per diem was fairly large, but there were a few drawbacks to the trip. The players got to choose how to get down to Miami and elected to get themselves there, which meant we had to bus 18 hours to Miami instead of getting to fly. Next, the Orange Bowl parade is crazy long. It gave me a new appreciation for "parade rest." And finally, losing to Michigan like we beat Florida that year (on missed extra point in overtime) wasn't exactly fun either.

Reactions: BamaMoon

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have only been to 2 road games.

I went to Knoxville in 1990. The stadium sucked but I had some of the best BBQ I have ever had in my life.

I went to Starkvegas and it sucked. It rained, Those damned cowbells. I hated the entire state by the end of the game. We did win (barely). It was also in the 90s. I cannot even remember the year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I'll play. Not all football. Is that ok?

Favorite Stadium not named Bryant-Denny (#1)? 2019 Dodger Stadium(#2). Just perfect. And the Dodgers won.

#3 - 1998 Wrigley Field - All time coolest experience, and sat in same row as Jerry Mathers.

#4 - 2011 Jordan-Hare, and watching Alabama run all the way through them, relentlessly.

#5 - 1999 Ben Hill Griffin, and it was hot. And Alabama pulled out the win amid a comedy of errors, and Shaun Alexander. Legend has it, that Shaun is still running there, today.

That's all I've got for now. Obviously, I like baseball. A lot. Hence my avatar.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Best - Alabama, and the TideFans group really made it special for me.

Next would be Wisconsin - If you guys get a chance, make the trip. Just do it before November, when temps drop.

Michigan is a great trip, even if I hate the team up north.

After that they are all kinda mixed for me. I really need to get to more SEC stadiums.

Reactions: LSUgrad2BamaDad

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
2017 Miss State - great pre-game atmosphere. It was a close game all the way. We were right next to the band and Nick Fitzgerald was throwing prayers into the end zone right near us at the end.
2018 Ole Miss - The food was great - ate at Ajax. The atmosphere was good. They went up 7-0 on a first play TD pass before Bama just hammered them the rest of the game.
2020 Rose Bowl - Cool to see Jerry world and always fun to watch Notre Dame get beat.
2014 Tennessee - Lots of tradition
2016 Vanderbilt - Essentially a Bama home game. Got to see Tua show off his stuff in this one.
2016 CFB Semi-final vs. Washington - Old fashioned slow squeeze of a win. Not much drama or many exciting plays.
2019 South Carolina - It was fine.
2011 Iron Bowl - AU didn't score an offensive touchdown and the game was never in doubt. Sort of sad really.
2004 Music City Bowl - The worst. The wooooooooorst.

We will be adding Florida and TAMU to our road games list this fall. Very excited.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
From my LSU perspective of course. I’ve not been to many road games.

2019 - Alabama, just living the dream

2015 - Alabama. I hated the outcome and how my dumb coach showed how hard headed he could be, but the build up to the game was the best, even in the rain. It was that day that opened my eyes to UA and suggest my son strongly consider it for his future.

2001 - Tennessee. Another loss, but the road trip and meeting one of my college roommates who was living in KS for the game was great. Plus, my cousin who is huge LSU met his now wife, a UT alum for the first time randomly at a tailgate.

2003 - Arizona. Our NC year under Saban. Went to the desert and destroyed them. Broke their will early so the game was boring.

1991 - Ole Miss in Jackson. Awful stadium, have no clue as to the outcome. I was very ill, thought it was the lingering effects of too much alcohol 2 nights before. I was with a group of 10 guys and girls mixed. One girl took care of me, we were just friends. Now, we’ve been married 27 years. This isn’t #1 because it was an awful stadium and that girl said no to a date the following week! Took her 2 more months to say yes.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've been to Bama Arkansas in Fayetteville in 1998 and 2004. Bama lost both.
I'm will entertain payment to not go back to Fayetteville. If you want Bama to keep winning in Fayetteville in 2022, send me a check.

To the OP, the Arkansas folks treated us very nicely. The worst thing was some healthy ribbing. Nothing means, vicious, or threatening. It sucked driving four hours to watch Bama play so poorly.
Went to Bama-Ole Miss 2007. Wild game. Ole Miss folks were hopping mad at the officials. Some young lady in the student section threw one of her pumps not the field. But Ole Miss folks on the Grove were generally nice. Again, the worst it got was healthy ribbing.

Reactions: OSUTideFan

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'm a huge fan of both Jerry world and both (old and new) Atlanta stadiums. I feel like they are both home away from home sites.

I was at the 2016 game in the grove and didn't like the stadium, the fans, and the worst heat I've experienced at any game.

Really like the University of Phoenix Stadium or whatever it is now in Arizona.

Hated the Mercedes dome (New Orleans) for years after the Ohio game, first year of the playoffs. Feel differently about the place now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was at the 2016 game in the grove and didn't like the stadium, the fans, and the worst heat I've experienced at any game.

I’ve always felt that I was the only one that had that opinion. They were total donkeys that day. The stadium makes you wonder why they are considered a SEC team. Really the only thing about Ole Miss that anyone talks about is the Grove… to which I was underwhelmed. It just felt like a crowd of people in a big square. I really think that Alabama and LSU have better tailgating arrangements. And yes… it was extremely hot that day. It rained about an hour before the game and the sun did the rest.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TopBamaBloke

Scout Team
Jun 7, 2021
From best to worst.

Ole Miss - Yes, their stadium is unimpressive, but I enjoyed their band and the pregame atmosphere.

New Orleans Superdome - The game was forgettable, but it was cool to be in the venue where a few of the Bama’s greatest triumphs took place.

Jerry’s World - As state of the art as it gets for stadium design, except for the potential for punts to hit the replay screens. I liked the concessions (tasty chicken soft tacos). The 2012 Michigan game was great fun and never in doubt.

Georgia Dome - The venue itself was unspectacular. Lots of great restaurants close by and public transport made it easily accessible. The win over Washington in the first round of the CFP was nice, but first round wins are insignificant compared to the championship game.

auburn - It’s a nice place to win (and win we did when I was there in 1999), but the whole atmosphere is one big ”I hate Alabama” fest.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
1. Mississippi State. That's it. That's all I've been to. I've gone to the Alabama game in Starkville on 2 occasions, 2003 and 2005, so I'm not familiar with their recent renovations. Back then, it was like a massive high school stadium, but it was nice enough. Nice fans. The campus was also not what I'd expect from a major University. It looked more like Wallace State Community College on steroids. But hey, they turn out some good meteorologists.

I had plans to visit as many stadiums as I could but as I've gotten older, started a family, etc, I hate being around people more and more so that dream has sort of died. It's just not as much fun as it was when I was younger.

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
1. Mississippi State. That's it. That's all I've been to. I've gone to the Alabama game in Starkville on 2 occasions, 2003 and 2005, so I'm not familiar with their recent renovations. Back then, it was like a massive high school stadium, but it was nice enough. Nice fans. The campus was also not what I'd expect from a major University. It looked more like Wallace State Community College on steroids. But hey, they turn out some good meteorologists.

I had plans to visit as many stadiums as I could but as I've gotten older, started a family, etc, I hate being around people more and more so that dream has sort of died. It's just not as much fun as it was when I was younger.
I was there in the band in 2003. We had the best time...missing the entire second quarter because they put us in the upper deck and having to spend it winding our way down to the field...and most of the third quarter for the same reason. Funny-to-me story: we were punting and our own cheerleaders, joined by the drummers, started the "Block that kick" cheer. Can't remember the game at all, luckily espn does.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was there in the band in 2003. We had the best time...missing the entire second quarter because they put us in the upper deck and having to spend it winding our way down to the field...and most of the third quarter for the same reason. Funny-to-me story: we were punting and our own cheerleaders, joined by the drummers, started the "Block that kick" cheer. Can't remember the game at all, luckily espn does.
Oh yes I sat right next to you guys. And yes, I remember the cheerleaders doing that. The fans in our section had a good time with that.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
1) 1993 Sugar Bowl - an absolute blast. We had two suites in the dome.

2) 1982 Cotton Bowl - fun game and trip except the outcome. Got to see Cowboys v. Bucs in a playoff
game the next day.

3) 1982, night game at Baton Rouge.

4) 2001 Independence Bowl. We hit the casino as soon as we got to town and I made enough to cover the trip
on slots in 15 minutes.

5) 1975 at Vandy. It was a beautiful early fall day.

6) 1990s annual road trip to Austin with some UT alums.

7) 1978 Georgia at Auburn. We needed a Georgia win or tie. It was tie. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Padreruf

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.