Ranking Bama QBs under CNS (playing with 2019 offensive system)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Let's see: QBs under CNS at Bama: John Parker Wilson, GMac, AJM, Blake Sims, Jake Coker, Jalen Hurts, Tua and (let's include) Mac Jones.

Now, RATE THEM BASED ON THE ASSUMPTION THEY PLAYED IN LAST YEAR'S OFFENSE (offensive philosophy and receivers):

Here's mine:

1. Tua - assuming he'll make everyone's #1 spot (and if not you've got some 'splaining to do) ;)
2. AJM - he wasn't as accurate as Tua but would have loved to see him in a more pass-happy offense.
3. Jalen Hurts - as he played as Tua's back up and starter at OK.

THIS IS WHERE IT STARTS GETTING MORE DIFFICULT FOR ME

4. Blake Sims - our first true dual-threat in this era
5. Mac Jones - need more evidence but possibly he could go to #2 with big 2020 year
6. Jake Coker - the epitome of "pluck-and-grit"
7. John Parker Wison - tough dude and would have been much better with better talent around him
8. GMac - probably weakest arm of the group, but a very good leader

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So now 2-7???
1. Tua - If only he had started all 3 years, oh what could have been.
2. AJ - In a pass happy offense would have unreachable career numbers
3. Blake Sims - had a great deep ball that only a few give him credit for
4. Jalen - ranked lower based on throwing ability
5. Mac - We is going to surprise some doubters
6. Coker - Wish I could rank him higher
7. JPW - Better than most people think
8. Gmac - I agree had the weakest arm

Reactions: seebell

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m surprised that no one has ranked all 10 Alabama starting QBs under CNS. I guess no one cares for the other two near as much as when they did when they made their starts. Lol.

Honestly everyone’s 1,2, and 7-10* will be the same unless someone just has a strong opinion or love for one particular qb. As for the others, I think it really depends on personal opinion. For me:

3) Jalen (the UGA and Clemson redemption games put me over)
4) Jake ( his last 4 games were among the best 4 game stretches I’ve ever seen a Alabama)
5) Blake ( Between Mac and Jake it really comes down to who won the championship and didn’t. I think if either were given another year starting then both would have a ring)
6)Mac ( like what I see but it isn’t enough to shoot up at this point).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
1. Tua
2. AJ
3. Jalen
4. Coker
5. Sims
6. Mac - he can move up this list but I have to see him do it over a full season
7. JPW
8. Gmac

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’m surprised that no one has ranked all 10 Alabama starting QBs under CNS. I guess no one cares for the other two near as much as when they did when they made their starts. Lol.

Honestly everyone’s 1,2, and 7-10* will be the same unless someone just has a strong opinion or love for one particular qb. As for the others, I think it really depends on personal opinion. For me:

3) Jalen (the UGA and Clemson redemption games put me over)
4) Jake ( his last 4 games were among the best 4 game stretches I’ve ever seen a Alabama)
5) Blake ( Between Mac and Jake it really comes down to who won the championship and didn’t. I think if either were given another year starting then both would have a ring)
6)Mac ( like what I see but it isn’t enough to shoot up at this point).
The other two: Blake Barnett and Cooper Bateman

I'd have them 9 (BB) and 10

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
1. Tua
2. Mac
3. AJM
4. Hurts
5. Coker
6. Sims
7. GMac
8. JPW

Love em all.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Some folks may want to refresh their memories on AJ's statistics compared to Tua's when both played a full season (their Junior years) and take into account AJ put those stats up within a much more conservative, run oriented system. Fast forward AJ into the 2019 system and there may not be such a "gap" between everyone's number one and the field.

Tua actually played in the 2019 system which wasn't that much different than the 2018 season when he played a full season. I think it makes McCarron's numbers more impressive (looking back now) than maybe we first realized when he put them up. Personally I think if AJ were able to play in the 2019 system as an upper classman he would put equivalent numbers as Tua. Especially if you give him Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle and Smith.

Reactions: Con and BamaMoon

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Some folks may want to refresh their memories on AJ's statistics compared to Tua's when both played a full season (their Junior years) and take into account AJ put those stats up within a much more conservative, run oriented system. Fast forward AJ into the 2019 system and there may not be such a "gap" between everyone's number one and the field.

Tua actually played in the 2019 system which wasn't that much different than the 2018 season when he played a full season. I think it makes McCarron's numbers more impressive (looking back now) than maybe we first realized when he put them up.
As I said in my post, AJ's numbers would be unreachable to beat. Then again, we might not have gotten his senior year numbers at all. He definitely would not have gotten the "game manager" tag the experts gave him.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As I said in my post, AJ's numbers would be unreachable to beat. Then again, we might not have gotten his senior year numbers at all. He definitely would not have gotten the "game manager" tag the experts gave him.
I believe that as well. I think durability would have enabled McCarron to keep piling up the numbers as well. I love Tua to death and he will go down (in my book) as the most talented QB (from a passing standpoint) to play for Alabama. But his kryptonite was the durability issue that ultimately ended his 2019 season.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I believe that as well. I think durability would have enabled McCarron to keep piling up the numbers as well. I love Tua to death and he will go down (in my book) as the most talented QB (from a passing standpoint) to play for Alabama. But his kryptonite was the durability issue that ultimately ended his 2019 season.
AJ would have easily been a first rounder too. He should have been anyway based on some of the QBs that were drafted in the first round that had a similar styles. EJ Manual(sp?), Jake Locker, Christian Ponder? The greatest thing Christian Ponder ever did was convincing Samantha Steele he wasn't a loser.

• Haha
Reactions: Con and Bamabuzzard

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
1. Tua

2. AJ. He would have put up great numbers in the 2019 offense. He was a really good college QB.

3. Blake Sims. The guy is highly underrated. He threw a great deep ball, and outside of the Iron Bowl in 2014 protected the ball pretty well. He was saddled with a defense that just couldn't hold up against good offenses.

4. Jalen. He really did improve the year he sat behind Tua. That Jalen would have been better in the 2019 offense than his last year starting at Bama.

5. GMac. He was very intelligent, he didn't have a big arm, but he was accurate and would have found the open man reliably and let the WR do the work. The west coast elements of the offense would have been amplified under him.

6. Coker. I liked Coker and felt he way got better as the year went. He was tough and had a strong arm.

7. JPW. He was always very streaky in my opinion. My dad used to say JPW had an evil twin that could flat out play football and that every once in a while he would play instead and light people up.

8. Mac. Just not enough sample size. He could easily move up the list. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the two dumb interceptions in the Iron Bowl that were just too much for the injury ravaged defense and the rest of the offense to overcome. One was an awful overthrow and the other one was a forced throw with a guy in his face. Throw the ball away or just eat it. I do think he can grow from that, and I'm pulling for him to be super successful and he may very well be.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. Tua
2. Mac
3. AJM
4. Hurts
5. Coker
6. Sims
7. GMac
8. JPW

Love em all.
I hesitated to include Mac because the data is pretty limited, but WOW I just can't see him ahead of AJ and even Hurts until we know more.

We can revisit this after next year and know A LOT more then.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Tua actually played in the 2019 system which wasn't that much different than the 2018 season when he played a full season. I think it makes McCarron's numbers more impressive (looking back now) than maybe we first realized when he put them up. Personally I think if AJ were able to play in the 2019 system as an upper classman he would put equivalent numbers as Tua. Especially if you give him Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle and Smith.
THANK YOU for acknowledging this. AJ was a gunslinger who never could sling it like he had the ability to do. I too think he's drafted much, much higher and probably starts for an NFL team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The two qbs that I would have loved to see play in a more pass-happy offense are Blake Sims and Hurts (as a better passer like he eventually became). Their dual-threat capabilities would have been even more deadly!!! Their total yardages per game (passing and running) would have been off the charts!

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If we are talking about who is the better QB when it comes to talent, the gap between AJ and Tua is Grand Canyon sized.

Part of the reason we have the 2019 system is because of Tua. AJ's numbers would be better if he played in 2019 but if both are healthy for a full season AJ couldn't touch Tua.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If we are talking about who is the better QB when it comes to talent, the gap between AJ and Tua is Grand Canyon sized.

Part of the reason we have the 2019 system is because of Tua. AJ's numbers would be better if he played in 2019 but if both are healthy for a full season AJ couldn't touch Tua.
^^^This

I'm thinking people need to refresh their minds on Tua.

He SHATTERED ALL of the QB passing records except for total passing yards because he started 1 less season than AJ.

Have people also already forgotten how many times Tua was pulled EARLY in the 3rd qtr of games and how many 4th qtrs he missed completely??

If Tua played 3 FULL seasons of games HE would have records that NO ONE else could touch. He has many records already that quite possibly won't be beaten for a long time after 2 seasons and some change of playing time.

I love AJ to death.... I've defended him plenty of times on here wrt to his legacy....

But he's not in Tua's stratosphere as a QB..... no other Alabama QB ever is.... I'm sorry if that's tough to handle.

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.