News Article: Ranking Nick Saban's six Alabama national championship teams

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The 2017 team had the talent on the roster to be #1 but Tua was not used properly until it was almost too late. Putting them at #6 is appropriate given that an undeveloped Jalen was the starting QB the entire season. That team, with Jalen starting, doesn't beat any of the other Alabama teams on the list, IMO. With Tua starting, they go undefeated if he can stay healthy, which is impossible to count on.
I think 2017 v 2009 should be for last place, honestly. I’m not sure GMac could move on that 2017 defense any more than Jalen could move that team on 2009. I do think that 2017 had more dynamic to the house playmakers on offense and that would be the difference in the game. I’m fairly sure 2009 couldn’t beat anyone else on this list due to the limitations at quarterback.

Reactions: B1GTide

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I am not sure how to rank the Championship teams, since there are so many. :) RTR

My personal favorite, as a fan, is this one that just happened, for many reasons. The players, the chemistry, the fact it was during a pandemic, being undefeated, having a Heisman winner, all the other awards, etc. Sark, Saban, having coaching continuity for 2 years, etc. This team was on a mission from the minute Najee and Devonte decided to come back.. really since the LSU/Auburn losses last year.

Tua's 2nd and 26 is probably my next favorite since it seemed impossible to win for the first half of the game, but also since I was actually there to witness one of the best plays in Bama football history. It was an unbelievable, awesome night. The fact it was against UGA made it even sweeter.

Another high on the list is 2009 just because it was Saban's first at Bama and it had been a long time since the last championship.

I was also at the championship game vs Notre Dame in Miami. It was my first time to attend a Bama National Championship game. I loved the blowout score and the fact that the Notre Dame fans sitting next to us drunk left at halftime. RTR

Finally, any time Bama can beat Clemson is great in my eyes. They had a great team that year but Bama prevailed.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.