Rationed Health Care?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I would offer that if there are two explanations for an observed phenomenon, one is fairly normal and non-salacious, and the other is unbelievably salacious and malignant, it is probably the normal, non-salacious explanation that is true.

In this case, the doctor got sick? There was an extremely valuable conference on a pressing issue in his field that would help him cure/treat patients? (I had a doctor reschedule one of my appointments recently for exactly this reason). The doctor got fed up and decided to go on vacation on short notice?
Or, it could be the doctor does not care if an old guy to dies and just declines to treat him..
Without more context, I'm going with the former.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I've had 2 doctor's appointments that were scheduled during COVID. Both times, the office called me on the day and said it was cancelled. I have another one scheduled for today and hopefully they don't cancel this time.

Edit: I'm almost 40

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I didn't notice at first, but it's from 5 months ago. It was when the rolling shut downs and cancellations were first firing off. Hopefully, the guy was able to reschedule.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
In my case, I wasn’t able to answer the phone both times they called. So they left voicemails saying the appointment had been canceled “due to COVID-19” with no further explanation. I know the office was open, but I don’t know if they had an outbreak or what.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
In my case, I wasn’t able to answer the phone both times they called. So they left voicemails saying the appointment had been canceled “due to COVID-19” with no further explanation. I know the office was open, but I don’t know if they had an outbreak or what.
That is definitely good news that they just postponed instead of cancelled. My doctor's office said that they got put in a tough position back in March. They had to determine which appointments were essential and which were non essential. All non essential appointments were to be nixed. I wonder how they went about determining such. They said that almost all were rescheduled eventually. The patients simply weren't accepting total cancellations and they kept calling and emailing until they were accommodated with a rescheduled. One older man got really upset and said "I don't know who or what is behind this, but if y'all are being coerced into it by Maw Maw Ivey, she best know that I have not lived almost 90 years just to die because of her stupidity. Now, reschedule me". :ROFLMAO:

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019

Please tell me none of you here who are older have experienced this! Before Covid or after. This is unacceptable! The last statement in that Tweet was gut wrenching to read.
one of the reasons i like my primary care doctor is that he has a heart/caring for older people. most of the people who are in his office when i am there (once a month) are 60 plus. and many are older than a certain aged administrator on this board.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
You are right to notice that this was in the week just about everything got shut down post haste.

The problems presented by social distancing in doctors offices are at least 3-fold:
1) usually not much room in a waiting room so fewer appointments are scheduled
2) appointments may take longer because of all the extra gear the doctor may be having to wear/use
3) if C19 patients come into the office, probably have to fumigate everything afterward.

I'm with Tidewater on this.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
seeing lots of healthcare rationing going now all over the country as hospitals are forced to triage out patients that have lower odds of success fighting Covid. I've seen reports from New York, Arizona, Texas and Georgia over the last few months. Scary stuff

Reactions: B1GTide

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I’ve worked in IT for Kaiser Permanente for the last 19 years. Before March, KP averaged 1400 telemedicine visits per day. Since March, we do 45,000 telemedicine visits daily.

It’s the new normal folks, and it won’t change.
It makes a lot of sense to me. For diagnoses that can be safely done via a Zoom-type session why not leverage the technology to save money and time. It makes no sense to make people come to a germ-filled office to find out they just have a cold, or a sinus infection, etc. This type of productivity tool is going to be essential to keep us from bankrupting ourselves as a country due to health care costs.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I would offer that if there are two explanations for an observed phenomenon, one is fairly normal and non-salacious, and the other is unbelievably salacious and malignant, it is probably the normal, non-salacious explanation that is true.

In this case, the doctor got sick? There was an extremely valuable conference on a pressing issue in his field that would help him cure/treat patients? (I had a doctor reschedule one of my appointments recently for exactly this reason). The doctor got fed up and decided to go on vacation on short notice?
Or, it could be the doctor does not care if an old guy to dies and just declines to treat him..
Without more context, I'm going with the former.
Hanlon's Razor

Wikipedia said:
Hanlon's razor is an aphorism, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", known in several other forms.[1] It is a philosophical razor which suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior. Similar statements have been recorded since at least the 18th century. It is probably named after Robert J. Hanlon, a person who submitted the idea to a joke book.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
When the shutdown happened we cancelled or rescheduled ALL appts to telehealth. I kept it that way for some time except for those that were necessary to see in person to assess or perform a necessary procedure. The state opened up and we did a little more. Then things went in the other direction on a state and local level. And I recently had to leave for personal reasons in the middle of the day. It happens.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.