Read the Stinkin' Rules -- No Profanity!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
About 1-2 times a year, it seems that a thread like this is needed, and I fail to understand why.

In the last couple of days, we've had at least two instances of posters trying to skirt the filters and sneak profanity onto a board. DON'T DO THAT.

This is in the rules that every new poster acknowledges reading and promises to abide by. Existing posters should know from seeing threads like this one.

No profanity.
No creative use of symbols or alternative characters to get around filters.
No cute transposition of syllables to get around filters.

This is not up for discussion or debate. If you can’t participate without using profanity or trying to skirt the filters, there are plenty of other boards out there.

If you wouldn't use the word while speaking to a 3rd Grade Sunday School class, don't use it here. If in doubt, don't use the word.

How hard is this?

Last edited:

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I am a teacher in a Texas High School. The struggle is real. Today's music, TV shows, and personal conversations are replete with Cursing. I am also ex-military. I had to adjust going from that to civilian work environments

• Heart
Reactions: Bazza and seebell

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So Roy Kent can use profanity on Tidefans to his heart’s content. Everyone else, not so much…
Jesus said "hell" a couple of times...can we do that?
Man when I was a kid a conversation between my friends and me wouldn't have been far removed from an episode of South Park.
So many responses.

I didn’t know who Roy Kent was. Still don’t know who Ted Lasso is.

But if he or anybody else uses language on TF that I wouldn’t use when talking to a 3rd grade Sunday school class, he’ll receive a case-appropriate response.

Generally speaking,”hell” won’t generate a response. Rights to respond to an egregious case reserved

If I posted a verbatim transcript of my 8th grade conversations, or comments in the TV room of a fraternity house, or (as Mrs. Basket Case could attest) in our living room watching an Alabama game, I would banned forever.

When not on TF, I use profanity, probably more than I should.

Use whatever language you will elsewhere. Just don’t do it here.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do not mind foul language, but it has a time and place, and (IMO) should never be used in writing (or posting). You never know who will end up reading what you write down, or what age they will be.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
So many responses.

But if he or anybody else uses language on TF that I wouldn’t use when talking to a 3rd grade Sunday school class, he’ll receive a case-appropriate response.

Generally speaking,”hell” won’t generate a response. Rights to respond to an egregious case reserved

If I posted a verbatim transcript of my 8th grade conversations, or comments in the TV room of a fraternity house, or (as Mrs. Basket Case could attest) in our living room watching an Alabama game, I would banned forever.

Just having fun...this rule is completely valid and classy. It is one of the reasons I have been around all these years. Quite frankly, I don't think you enforce it enough, but then it is hard to read every last post, I am sure. Thanks for your efforts.

Reactions: Bazza

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I just wonder how they get it by. He’***** a few deep balls got the asterisks for me in the Florida game.

he has hit, but with the contraction.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
So many responses.

I have a language problem. I am a retired LEO and most of the daily language we used would make a Sailor blush. I have to really watch what I type, cause old habits die hard. If I can work at keeping it clean,
I think most people can...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
If you wouldn't use the word while speaking to a 3rd Grade Sunday School class, don't use it here.
I'm Episcopalian, so... ;) :D

Seriously, though - If you can find the word in the Bible and aren't using it gratuitously or in an otherwise inappropriate manner then it's most likely OK.

If you can't find the word in any widely accepted version of the Bible then you may want to think twice.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have a language problem. I am a retired LEO and most of the daily language we used would make a Sailor blush. I have to really watch what I type, cause old habits die hard. If I can work at keeping it clean,
I think most people can...
It's all just a combination of language and learned behavior, i.e., habit. My Dad helped me years ago by challenging me to say "jelly fish" or something else stupid when I was mad. The "f" word had become a part of my vocabulary in college. Amazingly it really works...As a minister playing golf I was often frustrated, but had members/friends watching and listening..."Dadgummit" was as strong as I would use.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I know there is a profanity rule on Tidefans but I still see a lot of it. I mean what is the definition of profanity here? Maybe it has to do with who you are.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know there is a profanity rule on Tidefans but I still see a lot of it. I mean what is the definition of profanity here? Maybe it has to do with who you are.
Some words are not profanity - like the word ass. Maybe that is what you are seeing? Because I really don't see much here, and almost all that I see gets zapped pretty quickly.

Reactions: Cruloc

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'm Episcopalian, so... ;) :D

Seriously, though - If you can find the word in the Bible and aren't using it gratuitously or in an otherwise inappropriate manner then it's most likely OK.

If you can't find the word in any widely accepted version of the Bible then you may want to think twice.
My statement is a fairly good guideline.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.