Real Good Breakdown of Alabama Offense in 2019

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Obviously we both hope you're wrong. LOL!
Very much so lol that or that Bryce wins the job. It's partially just because I'm paranoid. The 2 pick 6s vs Auburn and then the almost pick 6 vs Michigan that the DB dropped have been on my mind.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Very much so lol that or that Bryce wins the job. It's partially just because I'm paranoid. The 2 pick 6s vs Auburn and then the almost pick 6 vs Michigan that the DB dropped have been on my mind.
Just curious, why do you automatically assume Young won't have an issue with int's? The game will be much faster than what he's used to, regardless of his talent. I've watched a lot of his film and though he is extremely talented. I didn't see someone who was so supremely talented that he was a plug and play in his first season either.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Just curious, why do you automatically assume Young won't have an issue with int's? The game will be much faster than what he's used to, regardless of his talent. I've watched a lot of his film and though he is extremely talented. I didn't see someone who was so supremely talented that he was a plug and play in his first season either.
I don't. I just assume that IF he wins the job that means he doesn't have problems with INTs. No way CNS gives a TF with turnover problems the job IMO. I expect Mac to win the job.

That said, he now has a similar rating on 247 composite(just a little bit lower) as Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields so I think there is at least a chance he wins the job. Apparently Football IQ is also one of his strengths and he enrolled early. Again, I don't think its likely he wins the job but if he's that highly regarded and since we don't have a real incumbent starter then I think he at least has a shot.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't. I just assume that IF he wins the job that means he doesn't have problems with INTs. No way CNS gives a TF with turnover problems the job IMO. I expect Mac to win the job.

That said, he now has a similar rating on 247 composite(just a little bit lower) as Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields so I think there is at least a chance he wins the job. Apparently Football IQ is also one of his strengths and he enrolled early. Again, I don't think its likely he wins the job but if he's that highly regarded and since we don't have a real incumbent starter then I think he at least has a shot.
I'm in no way saying Jones is going to replicate Burrow's 2019 season. But I do think a lot of Burrow's success was because of his maturity/age advantage over the players he was playing against. The guy was already very smart to begin with (as is M.Jones). But, I think a lot of people discount the fact that he was a 23 year old quarterback playing against 19/20 year olds and in some cases 18 yo's. The difference of age in this stage of life is MUCH, MUCH different than a 40 year old and a 45 year old. I think it is going to be very hard for anyone on the roster to close the advantage Mac will have of being 22 years old and his 4th year in the program. If they do it will mean that person is THE BEST quarterback on the roster.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm in no way saying Jones is going to replicate Burrow's 2019 season. But I do think a lot of Burrow's success was because of his maturity/age advantage over the players he was playing against. The guy was already very smart to begin with (as is M.Jones). But, I think a lot of people discount the fact that he was a 23 year old quarterback playing against 19/20 year olds and in some cases 18 yo's. The difference of age in this stage of life is MUCH, MUCH different than a 40 year old and a 45 year old. I think it is going to be very hard for anyone on the roster to close the advantage Mac will have of being 22 years old and his 4th year in the program. If they do it will mean that person is THE BEST quarterback on the roster.
It had to be a variety of factors for Burrow to make that kind of jump but it would make sense that age would help him.

I agree its going to be very hard for someone to beat out Mac.And I wouldn't bet on it. It would likely have to be a perfect storm of

1. Mac turning the ball over in practice
2. Bryce gaining enough weight in the weight room
3. Bryce playing at least as well as Tua did his freshman year

But I do think that Bryce is the type of prospect that is capable of it from the little I know of him. Or at the very least a lot of other people who know more than me think he is capable of that. So, I can't remove it as a possibility.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It had to be a variety of factors for Burrow to make that kind of jump but it would make sense that age would help him.

I agree its going to be very hard for someone to beat out Mac.And I wouldn't bet on it. It would likely have to be a perfect storm of

1. Mac turning the ball over in practice
2. Bryce gaining enough weight in the weight room
3. Bryce playing at least as well as Tua did his freshman year

But I do think that Bryce is the type of prospect that is capable of it from the little I know of him. Or at the very least a lot of other people who know more than me think he is capable of that. So, I can't remove it as a possibility.
We're in one helluva good position at quarterback, aren't we? LOL!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In the four games (Arkansas, WCU, Auburn & Michigan) where Mac Jones was the starter here were our team stats:

Total Yards- 1,995 (499 yds/game)
Total Passing yards- 1,252 (313 yds/game)
Total Rushing yards- 743 (186 yds/game)
Total Passing TD's- 14 (3.5 TD/game)
Total Rushing TD's- 9 (2.25 TD/game)

Keeping in mind this is without an entire off season of Mac working with the team as the starter, getting full reps, and developing chemistry with the starting offense.

I see no reason why this offense couldn't be as good or better.
Pedestrian numbers. We are in for a huge letdown if we only get that kind of production post-Tua.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
John Paxson and Ho Grant too!!! I loved how they started EVERY game pounding the paint with Bill Cartwright or Dave Corzine to open things up....those cats would touch the ball more in the first three minutes than the rest of the entire game...sorry...back to regularly scheduled programming...
Chicago had their stars, obviously...but they also had Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman to do the hard work of rebounding and defending the goal inside -- back when they did that sort of thing.

Reactions: UAllday

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
In the four games (Arkansas, WCU, Auburn & Michigan) where Mac Jones was the starter here were our team stats:

Total Yards- 1,995 (499 yds/game)
Total Passing yards- 1,252 (313 yds/game)
Total Rushing yards- 743 (186 yds/game)
Total Passing TD's- 14 (3.5 TD/game)
Total Rushing TD's- 9 (2.25 TD/game)

Keeping in mind this is without an entire off season of Mac working with the team as the starter, getting full reps, and developing chemistry with the starting offense.

I see no reason why this offense couldn't be as good or better.
Jeudy / Ruggs not being on the field could be that reason. If we can develop another awesome WR3 to complement Smitty and Waddle, then we could be very, very good, but if not it will be a longer shot. With 3 amazing receivers, a DC can't scheme to take away a player, because that opens up opportunities somewhere else and WR3 is just as likely to make you pay for that as WR1. If we have two awesome guys and one who is just ok, then the DC can scheme to limit opportunity for the top 2 knowing the #3 guy isn't going to make you pay for that as much.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Jeudy / Ruggs not being on the field could be that reason. If we can develop another awesome WR3 to complement Smitty and Waddle, then we could be very, very good, but if not it will be a longer shot. With 3 amazing receivers, a DC can't scheme to take away a player, because that opens up opportunities somewhere else and WR3 is just as likely to make you pay for that as WR1. If we have two awesome guys and one who is just ok, then the DC can scheme to limit opportunity for the top 2 knowing the #3 guy isn't going to make you pay for that as much.
The 3rd WR doesn't even have to be "amazing". Just very good. But I think what makes our offense just as explosive (even with Jeudy and Ruggs leaving) is Najee returning and the other two talented backs (Trey Sanders & K Robinson). We're returning 4 of 5 starting offensive linemen. That cannot be glossed over. I don't expect the 2020 offense to be as pass happy as we were with Tua. I think we will see something closer to 2012 AJ McCarron Eddie Lacy/TJ Yeldon/Amari Cooper except we'll be more dangerous at the WR position than that 2012 teams was. How we get to the eye popping offensive numbers may look a bit different than with Tua. But I still think we'll get there.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The 3rd WR doesn't even have to be "amazing". Just very good. But I think what makes our offense just as explosive (even with Jeudy and Ruggs leaving) is Najee returning and the other two talented backs (Trey Sanders & K Robinson). We're returning 4 of 5 starting offensive linemen. That cannot be glossed over. I don't expect the 2020 offense to be as pass happy as we were with Tua. I think we will see something closer to 2012 AJ McCarron Eddie Lacy/TJ Yeldon/Amari Cooper except we'll be more dangerous at the WR position than that 2012 teams was. How we get to the eye popping offensive numbers may look a bit different than with Tua. But I still think we'll get there.
Ok - I agree on the 'very good'. I still think having the 'very good' WR3 is critical even with all the returners if the goal is having an explosive offense.

That said, it's not like the O would be bad, or not enough for us to make another run, but the question was about explosive, not just a good offense.

IMHO, I'd love to see a bit more balance even if that costs us just a bit of explosiveness. I've felt like the last few years we got to rely a bit to much on home run plays. We still want those of course, as the threat of the home run play opens up a lot of other options, but being able to sustain a drive down the field with shorter passes and runs while staying ahead of the chains could be just as valuable.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Ok - I agree on the 'very good'. I still think having the 'very good' WR3 is critical even with all the returners if the goal is having an explosive offense.

That said, it's not like the O would be bad, or not enough for us to make another run, but the question was about explosive, not just a good offense.

IMHO, I'd love to see a bit more balance even if that costs us just a bit of explosiveness.
I've felt like the last few years we got to rely a bit to much on home run plays. We still want those of course, as the threat of the home run play opens up a lot of other options, but being able to sustain a drive down the field with shorter passes and runs while staying ahead of the chains could be just as valuable.
I don't view explosiveness just through the passing game. The Baltimore Ravens' offense was considered "explosive". But a big reason why it was considered explosive was because of their obscene ability to gash defenses with the run. Ingram and Jackson killed defenses all year with massive chunk plays throughout games.

Having a dominant running game on top of having two elite wr's and one "very good" wr puts DC's in an almost impossible situation. Bring down help to stop the run and leave one or more WR's in 1 on 1 matchups. Play them back to give the CB's help and it puts more 1 on 1's down on the LOS. Which I'll take our OL and RBs with that bet all day.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I don't view explosiveness just through the passing game. The Baltimore Ravens' offense was considered "explosive". But a big reason why it was considered explosive was because of their obscene ability to gash defenses with the run. Ingram and Jackson killed defenses all year with massive chunk plays throughout games.

Having a dominant running game on top of having two elite wr's and one "very good" wr puts DC's in an almost impossible situation. Bring down help to stop the run and leave one or more WR's in 1 on 1 matchups. Play them back to give the CB's help and it puts more 1 on 1's down on the LOS. Which I'll take our OL and RBs with that bet all day.
And...we may now have a useful TE with Carl Tucker transferring to Bama from North Carolina through the portal. He's been a good one at NC.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I don't either, chunk plays can be either run or pass, it's about the big yards gained, or home run plays. I'm only saying that without at least 3 really good wideouts, it's easier for a DC to scheme to limit those chunk or explosive plays, even with a really good or great running game. What made the Ravens work this year was two big play options in the running game, and I don't see us having that regardless of which of the QBs wins the job, so to force the defense to defend all the multiples and get our playmakers into space to do what they do, we have to have the 3rd very good WR. Like I said, even if that doesn't materialize, and WR3 is ok, but not very good, we can still have a very good offense, and perhaps even better balanced, but just lose a little bit of explosiveness.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't either, chunk plays can be either run or pass, it's about the big yards gained, or home run plays. I'm only saying that without at least 3 really good wideouts, it's easier for a DC to scheme to limit those chunk or explosive plays, even with a really good or great running game. What made the Ravens work this year was two big play options in the running game, and I don't see us having that regardless of which of the QBs wins the job, so to force the defense to defend all the multiples and get our playmakers into space to do what they do, we have to have the 3rd very good WR. Like I said, even if that doesn't materialize, and WR3 is ok, but not very good, we can still have a very good offense, and perhaps even better balanced, but just lose a little bit of explosiveness.
It all depends on the match ups of each individual team we play and their strengths and weaknesses. With Waddle and Smith alone, the majority of the teams we play (including SEC teams) are going to be stressed from a personnel perspective, to keep our offense from putting 40 pts on the board . I see LSU (as usual), aTm and JawJuh as the only teams you can say right now will more than certainly have the personnel to give our offense issues. But having Waddle and Smith will also make it a lot easier on the 3rd WR to have a lot of success. So again, the third WR isn't going to have to be an All American or on the same level as the other two wr's. Having a dynamic running game will also help that 3rd WR as well on play actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiderJack

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
And...we may now have a useful TE with Carl Tucker transferring to Bama from North Carolina through the portal. He's been a good one at NC.
More of a blocker than a receiver but we need a good blocking TE.

Regarding the poster who wants the 3rd WR to be explosive, I think we will have that with Metchie and possibly Shavers. When your #1 and #2 WR's are incredibly explosive and will draw double coverage much of the time, the #3 WR will be single covered by a safety and that is a mis-match with the other two guys I referenced above.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
More of a blocker than a receiver but we need a good blocking TE.

Regarding the poster who wants the 3rd WR to be explosive, I think we will have that with Metchie and possibly Shavers. When your #1 and #2 WR's are incredibly explosive and will draw double coverage much of the time, the #3 WR will be single covered by a safety and that is a mis-match with the other two guys I referenced above.
That's exactly my point. When this matchup happens, will WR3 be capable of fully exploiting it for a big gain, or will it end up as a solid check down but not an explosive play?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Will our 3rd WR be a future 1st round draft pick? Maybe not. But we have plenty of options at that spot so I don't have a ton of concern over it

Whether its Bolden, Shavers, Metchie or one of the 2 new guys i think we'll be good.

I'm more worried about RT and TE than any other position on offense and I'm not too concerned about either. If you want to worry about next year worry about the defense that doesn't have a proven edge rusher coming back and also lost a ton in the secondary.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.