Reaping what you sow - GOP edition...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My second son was marrying a Catholic girl...since he was Baptist and had been divorced, he was told he would have to go through an annulment, yada, yada, yada. His fiance' -- now wife said that was ridiculous, so they get up and walk out. Married in a protestant church, eventually joined a Presbyterian church where she is now a deacon. The RC needs to recognize that they are no longer the bully in the room in the USA. Quite frankly, if not for the Hispanic immigration they would have serious problems in the USA.
I don't know, Padre. A lot or Catholics I know think it is the only Christian religion. They are proud to be Catholic and refuse to be anything else. My first wife was one of these. She was going to be married to a Catholic or it was a deal breaker. They are indoctrinated at parochial schools and on Sunday mornings. Mass is so different from a Protestant service.

Protestants jump from church to church depending on the issues of the day. Our church has lost a lot of members to Baptist churches recently over the issue of whether or not to allow gay pastors.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I don't know, Padre. A lot or Catholics I know think it is the only Christian religion. They are proud to be Catholic and refuse to be anything else. My first wife was one of these. She was going to be married to a Catholic or it was a deal breaker. They are indoctrinated at parochial schools and on Sunday mornings. Mass is so different from a Protestant service.

Protestants jump from church to church depending on the issues of the day. Our church has lost a lot of members to Baptist churches recently over the issue of whether or not to allow gay pastors.
I did not say they don't have committed members...they just don't have as many as they had in the past...even in the Northeast. Statistics bear that out...

Issues such as no female priests, no married priests, and totally anti-abortion have strong feelings on both sides...their advantage is that the strong indoctrination you mentioned and as well as the fact that they do not build a church until need demands it. You don't find them on every corner like Baptist or Methodist...and if you don't like the worship style, too bad. They do it the way they do it...

Reactions: B1GTide and Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It used to be that you knew every Catholic who had migrated to the UMC. Nowadays, it seems to come out inadvertently. I spent five miserable years as the head of the Pastor Parish Relations committee of a Methodist church we no longer attend. (I served part of a departed member's term plus my own 3 year term.) In the UMC (the name can vary to include staff) that's the committee which sets pastor's salary, manages relations between the staff and the church etc. The main problem I had was the pastor was a bit controversial. His sermon delivery was a bit folksy and not to the taste of a lot of the members who considered themselves sophisticates. The problem was that most of the church didn't come from a UMC background. They were continually wanting to vote on everything, including the pastor's tenure. You UMC folk know that, in the UMC, you take who the bishop sends you, just as in the Roman Catholic church. As a consequence, I had the most grief from the former various congregational members, not the Catholics. The pastor once asked the question in the traditional service of how many present weren't of UMC background. About 2/3-3/4 held up their hands. He then said that he had learned to ask the question that way from the early service, where he had first asked how many from a UMC background and only saw about a quarter of the hands go up...

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I did not say they don't have committed members...they just don't have as many as they had in the past...even in the Northeast. Statistics bear that out...

Issues such as no female priests, no married priests, and totally anti-abortion have strong feelings on both sides...their advantage is that the strong indoctrination you mentioned and as well as the fact that they do not build a church until need demands it. You don't find them on every corner like Baptist or Methodist...and if you don't like the worship style, too bad. They do it the way they do it...
Idk - Mobile has a huge very white population of Catholics.
I also see conservatives (in the South) converting to Catholicism. My father-in-law before his death, my mother-in-law before her stroke. My brother-in-law recently. They like the strictness of it. The routine, and the requirements.
Perhaps it has more to do with the Mobile roots than the conservative part?

When I was in HS - I went to mass quite often. All of the Catholics I knew at the time were very liberal. But that may have had more to do with my associations than the church in general.

Reactions: Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I also see conservatives (in the South) converting to Catholicism. My father-in-law before his death, my mother-in-law before her stroke. My brother-in-law recently. They like the strictness of it. The routine, and the requirements.

When I was in HS - I went to mass quite often. All of the Catholics I knew at the time were very liberal. But that may have had more to do with my associations than the church in general.
I think there's been a switch from liberal to conservative among many Catholics, mainly over abortion...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

Mobile is a very religious town and a very strong Catholic town. When I lived there we joked that if the Catholics and Baptists ever agreed on anything political, no one could ever beat them!!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I think there's been a switch from liberal to conservative among many Catholics, mainly over abortion...
I agree...although the last polls I saw indicated that the American church favored married and female priests. However, with the continued movement to the left of liberalism a lot of "moderate" religious persons, Catholic and otherwise, have supported their institutions.

Reactions: MobtownK

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It used to be that you knew every Catholic who had migrated to the UMC. Nowadays, it seems to come out inadvertently. I spent five miserable years as the head of the Pastor Parish Relations committee of a Methodist church we no longer attend. (I served part of a departed member's term plus my own 3 year term.) In the UMC (the name can vary to include staff) that's the committee which sets pastor's salary, manages relations between the staff and the church etc. The main problem I had was the pastor was a bit controversial. His sermon delivery was a bit folksy and not to the taste of a lot of the members who considered themselves sophisticates. The problem was that most of the church didn't come from a UMC background. They were continually wanting to vote on everything, including the pastor's tenure. You UMC folk know that, in the UMC, you take who the bishop sends you, just as in the Roman Catholic church. As a consequence, I had the most grief from the former various congregational members, not the Catholics. The pastor once asked the question in the traditional service of how many present weren't of UMC background. About 2/3-3/4 held up their hands. He then said that he had learned to ask the question that way from the early service, where he had first asked how many from a UMC background and only saw about a quarter of the hands go up...
I did a three year stint on what we call the SPRC. It was the most thankless job I've ever had. They couldn't pay me to do it again.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
speaking of congregational conflict

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
speaking of congregational conflict

Hallelujah!!!

Praise the Lord and start the incarceration!

:D

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
it's hilarious how many of these idiots are getting turned in by friends and family. i guess people don't like obnoxious blow-hards

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.