Question: Recommend Places To Eat In Birmingham?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Mrs. Bama and I are heading to B'ham in late July for our church denominations national meeting. I am familiar with the area due to being raised in Florence and making many trips to B'ham for athletic events in high school. We already plan on going to The Fish Market, near UAB. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
At the upper end, I'd suggest Bottega (Italian), Automatic Seafood (seafood, obviously), and Blueprint on 3rd (American fusion). I would say Highlands, but it's almost impossible to get a table, even for locals.

Helen (high end southern comfort food), and El Barrio (nice Mexican) on 2nd Avenue North are also very good.

All except El Barrio are hard to get a table, so if you want to go that direction, call now.

At a significantly lower price point, Slice Pizza in Lakeview is excellent -- not exactly traditional, but excellent.

Bogue's, a couple of blocks from the Lakeview area is a great meat-and-three. The sweet rolls will rot your teeth, but you'll buy your dentures with a smile at the memory.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Any other places anyone would recommend?
Most of the best eating places imo are in Hoover. But if you are going to be downtown there is this place by the Alabama Theater that has loads of different restaurants in it that I found good. Can’t remember the name of the place off hand.

Also if you are going by the downtown fish market there is a strip of good restaurants near by on 7th that are pretty good

Reactions: alabama mike1

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
At the upper end, I'd suggest Bottega (Italian), Automatic Seafood (seafood, obviously), and Blueprint on 3rd (American fusion). I would say Highlands, but it's almost impossible to get a table, even for locals.

Helen (high end southern comfort food), and El Barrio (nice Mexican) on 2nd Avenue North are also very good.

All except El Barrio are hard to get a table, so if you want to go that direction, call now.

At a significantly lower price point, Slice Pizza in Lakeview is excellent -- not exactly traditional, but excellent.

Bogue's, a couple of blocks from the Lakeview area is a great meat-and-three. The sweet rolls will rot your teeth, but you'll buy your dentures with a smile at the memory.
The chef / owner of Automatic Seafood and Oysters, Adam Evans, just won the James Beard award for the Southern Region. If you want in there, best call now. It wasn't easy to get a table anyway, and with the award, it'll get harder.

I can't say Automatic is inexpensive, but given what it delivers, its prices are below competitors.

Most of the best eating places imo are in Hoover. But if you are going to be downtown there is this place by the Alabama Theater that has loads of different restaurants in it that I found good. Can’t remember the name of the place off hand.

Also if you are going by the downtown fish market there is a strip of good restaurants near by on 7th that are pretty good
Interesting....I much prefer the downtown and southside restaurants. But as my grandfather would have said, "That's what makes horse racin'."

The food court you're talking about is the Pizitz Food Hall. It's in a really cool building from the early 1900s that used to house the long-closed Pizitz Department Store. It does offer a lot of variety. Same type of setup as a mall food court, but materially higher quality local options. I'm not even sure they allow chain franchises.

It's also near the 2nd Avenue North district. Between 20th and about 23rd Street on 2nd Avenue North there are several good local restaurants. One of those is El Barrio, which a couple of posters have mentioned, and there are others as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: alabama mike1

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Update, we ate at the following places while in Birmingham:

The Fish Market (twice)
Southern ??? uptown
The Mexican place uptown
Mugshots uptown
Lloyd's going southeast out 280
Twin Peaks- never heard of it but we were at the mall in Hoover.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.