Recommendations for a new or new to me car

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
SiriusXM is like Cable TV for your ears.

More channels than you will ever want to listen to, but you are paying for all of them.

Depends on your listening habits and time spent in your vehicle.

If you listen mostly to music, I would say there are other sources, e.g., Spotify, Apple Music, etc..

You can play most any source of music from your phone via Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.

If you want news, talk, sports, etc., then perhaps SiriusXM would be a good value for you.

If you bought the car from a dealer, you might wrangle a free 3 month trial subscription from them. That would give you plenty of time to "test drive" it.

Just my 2 centavos.

Enjoy your new ride. :)
And even if you like news/talk radio, you can always listen to podcasts. I would go with a streaming service and then Apple Podcasts.

Reactions: FitToBeTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Nice car...I hope you keep it 10 years and enjoy every day! Sirius can be worth it if you negotiate with them. Before the free period is up, call and tell them you want to cancel...then spend 15-30 minutes haggling and you can get the price down to about 7-8 per month. If you don't want the talk channels, etc., you can get just music for about 5 per month. Or you can listen to FM or connect your phone and listen through it to other channels.

All depends upon how much time you will spend in your car and what you want to be listening to as you do.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Okay, so obviously I bought the BMW. Basically I just couldn't pass it up. I did get an extended warranty and some added bonuses. I will never have to pay for an oil change or tires or brakes. 4 years to pay it off and no penalty for paying it off early. 30k miles on it now. I am excited about finally being a BMW owner. I have always loved them and you only live once. After driving that, a Camry or Accord would have been a disappointment.

Going to be hard getting used to the gas being on the passenger side and trying to figure out all the bells and whistles. The BMW geeks are supposed to show me in detail how everything works. In the meantime I was shown some of the easier stuff. My phone is connected and I am still trying to figure out how to make the radio play my music.

Is Sirius worth it?
I bought my first BMW in 2015 (it is a 2 series) and am glad I did. I just got a newer 2 series recently. If you get a chance, try the track experience at the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina. It is very fun! Sirius is good to have, but it is not one of my top priorities. Before the BMW, I had Toyota and Infinity over the years. Both were good cars, but the BMW is much better overall. So far, I have not had any issues with the BMW. It is good that you did research on which models are best for which years, etc. Enjoy your new car!

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Okay, so obviously I bought the BMW. Basically I just couldn't pass it up. I did get an extended warranty and some added bonuses. I will never have to pay for an oil change or tires or brakes. 4 years to pay it off and no penalty for paying it off early. 30k miles on it now. I am excited about finally being a BMW owner. I have always loved them and you only live once. After driving that, a Camry or Accord would have been a disappointment.

Going to be hard getting used to the gas being on the passenger side and trying to figure out all the bells and whistles. The BMW geeks are supposed to show me in detail how everything works. In the meantime I was shown some of the easier stuff. My phone is connected and I am still trying to figure out how to make the radio play my music.

Is Sirius worth it?
If you live in the Atlanta metro area and are looking for a reputable place to take your BMW to be worked on, Bimmer's in Kennesaw near the airport is a less expensive place than taking it to the BMW dealer. They have people working there who used to work at a BMW dealer in the shop area. I used to take mine there for oil changes after the 4 year "free oil change" expired.

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It is a 330 with the MSport package. Drives amazing. It was formerly a lease, so I am it's first real owner.
Congrats! My Bolt finally came in, too. Like you, I’ll never have to pay for an oil change either!😉
Really, that is a great perk - oil changes on Beemers are expensive.
Enjoy your travels!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Nice car...I hope you keep it 10 years and enjoy every day! Sirius can be worth it if you negotiate with them. Before the free period is up, call and tell them you want to cancel...then spend 15-30 minutes haggling and you can get the price down to about 7-8 per month. If you don't want the talk channels, etc., you can get just music for about 5 per month. Or you can listen to FM or connect your phone and listen through it to other channels.

All depends upon how much time you will spend in your car and what you want to be listening to as you do.
They cave every time, and if you spend a lot of time in your car, to me, it’s worth it. I don’t use any streaming service so I don’t know how to compare them, as far as cost and choices go. $1.25/week ain’t much if you drive 300-400 miles a week.

Reactions: Padreruf

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Well I’m pretty much in the same boat as @DzynKingRTR . I’m about to to start a new job where I’ll be doing more driving to accounts. Wife pretty much insists I get something newer (2012 Honda Accord with 160k).

I’m a dedicated Honda, Toyota and Nissan guy and will most likely go with a smaller, low mileage used SUV types (CR-V, RAV 4, Highlander, Rogue, Murano, etc). Not to say I wouldn’t consider a sedan or another make. I’ve just had really positive experiences with these brands.

Question: I’m considering biting the bullet and going with a hybrid. My son purchased a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid for his wife last year and absolutely loves it. In the opinion of the ones here, are they worth the premium and are what are the pros/cons?
Thanks!

Reactions: oskie and seebell

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well I’m pretty much in the same boat as @DzynKingRTR . I’m about to to start a new job where I’ll be doing more driving to accounts. Wife pretty much insists I get something newer (2012 Honda Accord with 160k).
An Accord with 160k? I assume it's paid for. Also assume you're not having many issues with it.

That car should be pretty efficient and should last many more years - unless you're having issues with it, I personally cannot imagine wasting the money on a new car. It would probably be 10+ years before you actually broke even.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
An Accord with 160k? I assume it's paid for. Also assume you're not having many issues with it.

That car should be pretty efficient and should last many more years - unless you're having issues with it, I personally cannot imagine wasting the money on a new car. It would probably be 10+ years before you actually broke even.
I agree with you. It is long since paid for. It is mostly my wife (after 38 years of marriage) pushing the notion- “if your going to be driving that much you need…”

Case in point - my other vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with 175k. She knows better. I’ll be buried in that truck.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I agree. Drive the car until the wheels fall off. Unfortunately that is exactly why I have a car payment again. I plan on driving this one just as long.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I agree with you. It is long since paid for. It is mostly my wife (after 38 years of marriage) pushing the notion- “if your going to be driving that much you need…”

Case in point - my other vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with 175k. She knows better. I’ll be buried in that truck.
2000 Honda Civic getting ready to roll 200,000. Keep the oil changed, change transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, timing belt and water pump every 80-100,000 and they will last forever. I told someone just a couple of days ago that they would pry it from my cold dead hands along with my gun. My son has a 1998 Civic with over 320,000.

• Wow
Reactions: seebell and CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
2000 Honda Civic getting ready to roll 200,000. Keep the oil changed, change transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, timing belt and water pump every 80-100,000 and they will last forever. I told someone just a couple of days ago that they would pry it from my cold dead hands along with my gun. My son has a 1998 Civic with over 320,000.
The best news is I’ll be moving into a director role with this new company. So 90% of my work will be remote as opposed to 50% travel with the business development position. Most any travel I do will be by air so I’m keeping the Accord and driving the wheels off of it.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Is Sirius worth it?
I have a calendar notifcation every year to contact sirius to cancel. every year they make it worth my while to keep it for about $5/month streaming + 1 receiver. They usually say something like 'what can we do to keep you?' I say 'give me your absolute best deal available'. They say '$15/mo.' I say 'nope. cancel. they say 'how about $12 / mo'; I say 'nope. cancel'. they eventually say '$5 mo' I say 'ok one more year.' ... happens every year on same day for last 10 years.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have a calendar notifcation every year to contact sirius to cancel. every year they make it worth my while to keep it for about $5/month streaming + 1 receiver. They usually say something like 'what can we do to keep you?' I say 'give me your absolute best deal available'. They say '$15/mo.' I say 'nope. cancel. they say 'how about $12 / mo'; I say 'nope. cancel'. they eventually say '$5 mo' I say 'ok one more year.' ... happens every year on same day for last 10 years.
Probably going to just pass on it. Never had it before so it is not like I even know what I am missing.

Reactions: Padreruf

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Probably going to just pass on it. Never had it before so it is not like I even know what I am missing.
If you like to listen to any specific types of music, talk, sports, etc, all without commercials while you drive, Sirius cant be beat as long as you follow Bamanation's advice above.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'd recommend moving closer to work/public transportation so you don't have to drive. Then you have lots of options. Walk, bike, jog, whatever you like to get to work when you have to go it. The savings are phenomenal and you can always rent a car when you really need one.

• Haha
Reactions: Toddrn

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.