Ref adjusting mask blows FG call

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
For the life of me I can't understand why people keep defending obvious gambling BUY officials. Okay. You tell me how the replay guy(s) can miss it? I am waiting. Either they are on the fix or they are drugged up. This has happened before. No one will convince me gambling is not involved all they way to the top BECAUSE such obvious incompetence ref's NEVER get fired. They just keep on officiating.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For the life of me I can't understand why people keep defending obvious gambling BUY officials. Okay. You tell me how the replay guy(s) can miss it? I am waiting. Either they are on the fix or they are drugged up. This has happened before. No one will convince me gambling is not involved all they way to the top BECAUSE such obvious incompetence ref's NEVER get fired. They just keep on officiating.
My hatred of Nebraska is legendary, but I'm still convinced to this day that the fix was in for the 1994 Orange Bowl to make damn sure Bobby Bowden finally got a national championship. Had there been more games in the following days, I likely would have abandoned the sport altogether. Every phony call in that game went against Nebraska terribly. And I was only "for" Nebraska because of that little snit Matt Crier (I think his real last name was Frier, but he was the ultimate sissy in my view) sobbing like a two-year old on TV and begging the voters "for a second chance" when Nebraska and West Virginia had not even gotten "first chances."

I have a friend from Oklahoma who is convinced the refs helped influence the outcome of the 1991 Final Four game between UNLV and Duke. And having watched the game years after the fact, I came away thinking, "You know, he might well be correct."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
That’s horrendous. The kick was well within the uprights. Not really close to a miss.

The official was clearly not looking, and went by the bounce of the ball onto the field of play...which bounce came because it hit a camera platform behind the goalpost. So he’s incompetent

What I don’t understand is how the review missed it, and that really has been my complaint for some years now....in most cases (not this one), I can cut the on-field official some slack. The game is faster than ever, they have to make the call in real time, and don’t have the benefit of frame-by-frame slow-motion after the fact.

But review officials do. And it’s when the review misses it that I question the whole process. Also, which violations are reviewable, which aren’t, and which ones can be called from the booth, even if they’re not called on the field.

Most violations have to be called on the field. Some of those can be reviewed, some can’t. But a few can be called from the booth, even if they’re not called on the field.

For example, delay of game and too many men on the field. I think there may be others as well.

Logic being there’s so much going on that it’s impossible for the refs to simultaneously watch on-field action, the play clock and count players, especially with hurry-up offenses of today.

But ineligible man downfield has to be called on the field, even if the whole stadium other than the zebras see it. Looking at you, Ole Miss and Auburn.

I’d love to hear the logic behind that incongruity.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To be honest with you, I always thought the Iowa State field goal against us at the end of the 2001 Indy Bowl was good. I'll admit it could have gone either way, but I thought so.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I’m colorblind, but the officials clearly suffered visual impairment from the glare off Eastern Washington’s otherwise tasteful and aesthetic red turf.

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
That’s horrendous. The kick was well within the uprights. Not really close to a miss.

The official was clearly not looking, and went by the bounce of the ball onto the field of play...which bounce came because it hit a camera platform behind the goalpost. So he’s incompetent

What I don’t understand is how the review missed it, and that really has been my complaint for some years now....in most cases (not this one), I can cut the on-field official some slack. The game is faster than ever, they have to make the call in real time, and don’t have the benefit of frame-by-frame slow-motion after the fact.

But review officials do. And it’s when the review misses it that I question the whole process. Also, which violations are reviewable, which aren’t, and which ones can be called from the booth, even if they’re not called on the field.

Most violations have to be called on the field. Some of those can be reviewed, some can’t. But a few can be called from the booth, even if they’re not called on the field.

For example, delay of game and too many men on the field. I think there may be others as well.

Logic being there’s so much going on that it’s impossible for the refs to simultaneously watch on-field action, the play clock and count players, especially with hurry-up offenses of today.

But ineligible man downfield has to be called on the field, even if the whole stadium other than the zebras see it. Looking at you, Ole Miss and Auburn.

I’d love to hear the logic behind that incongruity.
I couldn't tell from the camera angle in the link that was shared, but if the kick was deemed "above the uprights," it's not reviewable. I guess that's the case no matter how obvious it was that the kick was good.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My wife and I were in the stands - we all thought it was good live. I have never watched the replay. 🤷‍♂️
I was listening to Eli while driving a Mississippi backroad.

Eli was as shocked as anyone.

"It's good....NO!! No good!"

But he was honest enough that when he said it looked good to him, too.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
To be honest with you, I always thought the Iowa State field goal against us at the end of the 2001 Indy Bowl was good. I'll admit it could have gone either way, but I thought so.
I may be biased, but I was in the band at the bowl game. We were sitting in the opposite endzone. It only ever looked good on TV. From our perspective (and the ref's on that side), it was just outside the near upright. The cameras in the stadium weren't in a good position to capture it.

Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I may be biased, but I was in the band at the bowl game. We were sitting in the opposite endzone. It only ever looked good on TV. From our perspective (and the ref's on that side), it was just outside the near upright. The cameras in the stadium weren't in a good position to capture it.
You DO realize you basically just said we can't exactly trust TV replays, right?

I'm just joshing with ya a bit.

However, I actually can concur up to a point with what you're saying. If you were at UA in 2001, you may or may not be too young to remember the Fog Bowl game between the Eagles and Bears in 1988. In the second quarter, a fog moved in off Lake Michigan and nobody on TV could see ANYTHING. For years I thought it was absolutely unfair - and not just because I hate the Bears so much.

But two things changed my mind:

1) The agreed upon rule for the refs was that AT NO TIME was it impossible to see from goalpost to goalpost and

2) if the Eagles were at such a disadvantage, how did the Eagles with running QB Randall Cunningham throw for over 400 yards? Philly outgained Chicago by nearly 100 yards, had fewer turnovers, and held the ball longer....so what exact disadvantage could they have had?

Reactions: Con

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
You DO realize you basically just said we can't exactly trust TV replays, right?

I'm just joshing with ya a bit.

Unless there is conclusive video evidence to contradict the call on the field :) That's one of the greatest things about the pylon cams: they are always lined up at the goal line and can give correct calls. I think they can devise a similar solution to field goals (though having a ref beneath each post is a fantastic first step).

Was there a second ref in on the "missed" field goal in question in this thread? I know one can overrule the other on these things, but normally they just wait on the one closest to the ball to make a call first, right?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.