Remember MLK Day.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One of our greatest “radicals” in US history. Lets not forget before he was killed, he was attempting to unify the race divide among the lower class and create united front that we sorely miss to this day.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and seebell

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
An interesting article about the holiday. Yeah, racism is alive and thriving in America: Sad Story
“Bundling the holidays remains a form of resistance to racial justice in America,” Gill told Vox.
Well, Gill does not know what she is talking about and Vox is in the worst traditions of American journalism.
Lee was born January 19th, Jackson born January 21st, so Virginia dedicated a holiday to them in 1889, when Martin Luther King, Senior was but a twinkle in his daddy's eye. (MLK, Sr. was born in 1899).
Vox seems to believe that the only way to be tolerant is to be intolerant of others' views. This makes sense in the twisted minds of the writers and editors.

Yes, there are still racists in America, but when a public figure declares the superiority of one race over another, generally they are instantly pilloried.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
“Bundling the holidays remains a form of resistance to racial justice in America,” Gill told Vox.
Well, Gill does not know what she is talking about and Vox is in the worst traditions of American journalism.
Lee was born January 19th, Jackson born January 21st, so Virginia dedicated a holiday to them in 1889, when Martin Luther King, Senior was but a twinkle in his daddy's eye. (MLK, Sr. was born in 1899).
Vox seems to believe that the only way to be tolerant is to be intolerant of others' views. This makes sense in the twisted minds of the writers and editors.

Yes, there are still racists in America, but when a public figure declares the superiority of one race over another, generally they are instantly pilloried.
You missed the whole point of the article. Period.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm cool with the name, but I guess the "journalist" had never heard of the USS Lexington, Saratoga, Ranger, Yorktown, Enterprise, Wasp, Hornet, Essex, Intrepid, Ticonderoga, Bunker Hill, Bennington, Boxer, Independence, Princeton, Belleau Wood, Cowpens, Monterey, Langley, Bataan, San Jacinto, Bon Homme Richard, Kearsage, Oriskany, Antietam, Shangri-La, Lake Champlain, Tarawa, Midway, Coral Sea, Valley Forge, Philippine Sea, Saipan, Kitty Hawk, Constellation, and America. And that is just the CVs, CVNs, and CVLs. CVEs are not listed above.
I honor Dorie Miller's service. Maybe weening the Navy off of naming carriers after presidents, as if presidents suffered from low self-esteem, is a good idea.

Reactions: seebell

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'm cool with the name, but I guess the "journalist" had never heard of the USS Lexington, Saratoga, Ranger, Yorktown, Enterprise, Wasp, Hornet, Essex, Intrepid, Ticonderoga, Bunker Hill, Bennington, Boxer, Independence, Princeton, Belleau Wood, Cowpens, Monterey, Langley, Bataan, San Jacinto, Bon Homme Richard, Kearsage, Oriskany, Antietam, Shangri-La, Lake Champlain, Tarawa, Midway, Coral Sea, Valley Forge, Philippine Sea, Saipan, Kitty Hawk, Constellation, and America. And that is just the CVs, CVNs, and CVLs. CVEs are not listed above.
I honor Dorie Miller's service. Maybe weening the Navy off of naming carriers after presidents, as if presidents suffered from low self-esteem, is a good idea.
The journalist was talking about current ships, no?

Reactions: Bazza

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It is a sticky situation for states that had a Lee Day. Having a joint holiday is obviously going to upset people.

I think states should designate a Monday in April (anniversary of Appomattox) as “Civil War Remembrance Day”. People of all races could celebrate whatever aspect of the war and promote whatever agenda they want that day.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is a sticky situation for states that had a Lee Day. Having a joint holiday is obviously going to upset people.

I think states should designate a Monday in April (anniversary of Appomattox) as “Civil War Remembrance Day”. People of all races could celebrate whatever aspect of the war and promote whatever agenda they want that day.
Some of the states only started celebrating their birthdays after the MLK holiday was created, others started earlier on various dates. The reality - those states could not stand the idea of allowing a black man to have a holiday, so they found a way to subvert it.

Virginia is a great example. As TW says, the holiday for Lee was on the books for a long time before MLK passed and a national holiday was named for him. But, what he didn't say - the date for that holiday was January 19th. Virginia changed the date of the Lee holiday to subvert the MLK holiday. They have since separated them again, but only because of enormous political pressure.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
But, what he didn't say - the date for that holiday was January 19th. Virginia changed the date of the Lee holiday to subvert the MLK holiday. They have since separated them again, but only because of enormous political pressure.
Is that the reason they doubled them up, or was it so they wouldn't have two Holidays so close together? I genuinely don't know, but I do know it's easy to see racism in most everything if you try hard enough. Again, not saying that is the case here.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is that the reason they doubled them up, or was it so they wouldn't have two Holidays so close together? I genuinely don't know, but I do know it's easy to see racism in most everything if you try hard enough. Again, not saying that is the case here.
Well, they combined them and then they separated them when pressure was applied (after 17 years combined), so one looks very likely. At least VA separated them eventually - other states still refuse to do so.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The journalist was talking about current ships, no?
I think they started naming carriers after presidents with the USS John F. Kennedy in the wake of his assassination (commissioned in 1968).
I'm not a big fan of naming ships after presidents. I have more concern for my garbage collector than any president during my lifetime. They are just public servants. Normally, not especially good public servants.

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As TW says, the holiday for Lee was on the books for a long time before MLK passed and a national holiday was named for him. But, what he didn't say - the date for that holiday was January 19th. Virginia changed the date of the Lee holiday to subvert the MLK holiday.
Sorry, that is just wrong. Lee-Jackson Day was observed on January 19th. Once the federal holiday was declared (1983), so state employees did not have two separate days off with pay within a week of each other, they merged the two holidays into one. It was NOT to "subvert" MLK day. That is just seeing racism where it does not exist.
At the behest of the "every decision is due to racism" crowd, the state holiday is now observed the Friday before the federal holiday, thus the state is forced to do what it sought to avoid in 1983: two holidays within a week of each other.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry, that is just wrong. Lee-Jackson Day was observed on January 19th. Once the federal holiday was declared (1983), so state employees did not have two separate days off with pay within a week of each other, they merged the two holidays into one. It was NOT to "subvert" MLK day. That is just seeing racism where it does not exist.
At the behest of the "every decision is due to racism" crowd, the state holiday is now observed the Friday before the federal holiday, thus the state is forced to do what it sought to avoid in 1983: two holidays within a week of each other.
Fair enough - we agree to disagree.

BTW, they are not forced to have two holidays. They do not have to recognize either of those holidays. They are making a choice - each one to make voters in their state happy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.