REPORT: Nick Saban was ‘riding (Scott) Cochran mercilessly’ leading up to Alabama departure

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
"4th & yeah! yeah! yeah!" could become a thing.

I don't begrudge the guy for looking for something else. Kirby is a mini-me Saban wannabe so the only change will be that Cochran gets to coach (and actively recruit)...that and he probably won't have to keep his hands above his head in 4Q. Also, most likely won't have trophies of any type that he can smash.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I've kinda wondered about that......……..I wouldn't put it past them to try and start something to damage Bama, all because someone was mad they didn't get what they want
Kirby's been doing that since he took the picture of the recruiting board on his way out.

Includes encouraging recruits to mislead Alabama coaches regarding level of interest (up to and including telling Alabama coaches they're committed when in fact they're committed to Georgia), repeated poaching of staff, and warning recruits away from the three-year injury wave....which is particularly ironic given that he just hired the coach whose techniques some blame for said injuries.

This is the same song, 863rd verse. Only difference is now it's a duet with a whining Cochran singing harmony.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Kirby's been doing that since he took the picture of the recruiting board on his way out.

Includes encouraging recruits to mislead Alabama coaches regarding level of interest (up to and including telling Alabama coaches they're committed when in fact they're committed to Georgia), repeated poaching of staff, and warning recruits away from the three-year injury wave....which is particularly ironic given that he just hired the coach whose techniques some blame for said injuries.

This is the same song, 863rd verse. Only difference is now it's a duet with a whining Cochran singing harmony.
Yep, which is why I said "They"...…………..now he has a cheerleader to help him. Maybe Kirby will get to experience the whole injury bug now

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
The discussion around SC taking up an on field spot as STC, without a position group responsibility got me to thinking. So how does the rest of the SEC do it:

STC/Another position group

ALABAMA STC/TE
AUBURN STC/HB/TE
FLORIDA STC/RB
VANDY STC/TE
SCAR STC/DB
MSU STC/OLB

STC only
UGA
LSU
OLE MISS
MIZZOU

????
ATM, No STC listed among position coaches, 2 ST analysts listed
ARK, No STC listed among 13 position coaches listed???
TENN No STC listed, previous STC/ILB left for job with NYG
KENTUCKY No STC listed, previous STC/DB left for HC job at Murray St.

Seems a mixed bag of results, but it was an interesting exercise to look at each schools staff directories.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
SC did a good job as far as I can tell...but not a secret that other programs are doing just as well if not better. Ballou will get it done. Seems like Bama is in Kirby's head now. I see where where Mike Griffith is guaranteeing a Dawg win against Bama this next season. May happen. May not...but I would have bet money that Mike would have gotten a clue at this point when the subject is Bama vs Ga. He must like the taste of....crow.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Btw.....the thread title is BS. If in fact CMS was "mercilessly riding" SC...it was probably because he felt that he had gotten complacent. Same will happen to anyone who has a job.Dawg folks love a media controversy whether real or imagined. Got a great program with great talent. Why the complex???

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
SC did a good job as far as I can tell...but not a secret that other programs are doing just as well if not better. Ballou will get it done. Seems like Bama is in Kirby's head now. I see where where Mike Griffith is guaranteeing a Dawg win against Bama this next season. May happen. May not...but I would have bet money that Mike would have gotten a clue at this point when the subject is Bama vs Ga. He must like the taste of....crow.
Who is Mike Griffith and why should I care what he thinks?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
While I have always thought SC’s value has been inflated, I do find the article believable and think Saban probably did what was reported.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I could understand Coach Saban getting riled up if he told Scott to make certain changes in our SC Program, and Scott said no or refused to change with the times. Either that or Kirby drove a wedge between his buddy Scott and Coach Saban.
The way I see it the timing looks like Kirby tried to leave us holding an empty sack, meaning no SC coach and hurt our SC program ect...
I also agree with Coach Saban and Coach Kiffin,
big time college football ain't no place to learn how to coach on the field. I guess Scott will either prove a lot of us wrong, or he will not make much contribution to GA. football on the field.
Under the circumstance of Scott leaving us in the lurch, Coach Saban not only landed on his feet, it appears our new coaches may eventually show us with an improved SC Program.

Reactions: Con

bat123

All-American
I respect CC for the job that he did for us and am certain he'll continue trying to do his best at the Dawgpatch.
I thank him for the effort that he put forth, but now he'll truly understand what it's like to coach against the master.
Good luck Coach C you gonna need it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Maybe Kirby thought that his fake punts would work better if Cochran were the one calling them.....
While I'm obviously glad the play failed, I still blame the failure on the UGA sideline, Kirby especially.

You can forgive a true freshman QB (Justin Fields) in a high-pressure position in a championship game, for not recognizing the trap. But jeez, guys, we were not just in punt-safe formation, we were playing our regular defense. I'm not even sure we had anybody deep to field a punt.

That the UGA staff didn't recognize the setup and call time-out is an unforgiveable lapse. In all likelihood, it cost their team the SEC championship.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
While I'm obviously glad the play failed, I still blame the failure on the UGA sideline, Kirby especially.

You can forgive a true freshman QB (Justin Fields) in a high-pressure position in a championship game, for not recognizing the trap. But jeez, guys, we were not just in punt-safe formation, we were playing our regular defense. I'm not even sure we had anybody deep to field a punt.

That the UGA staff didn't recognize the setup and call time-out is an unforgiveable lapse. In all likelihood, it cost their team the SEC championship.
Maybe Kirby thought he would outsmart Coach Saban by putting in a really Bone Headed play?

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
I guess SC couldn’t stand the heat in the kitchen. You must be living under a rock if you haven’t noticed a pattern of injuries over the course of the last 5 years. This is a direct connection to Strength & Conditioning. Well conditioned athletes do not get injured, yes there are fluke injuries. The injuries we have had specifically to our LB core has been knees. I get one a year thing but come on the last two years there have been multiple LB’s go down with knee injuries.
SC was undoubtedly asked to change his ways of conditioning and he resisted and his coach went off on him. If your boss ask you to change something in your company that they deemed as detrimental to the production of the company, then you either change it or get fired! I see this whole thing as a win for Saban and Alabama. The dawgs will be barking when SC’s ST unit gives up a TD, especially if Waddle takes one to the house. Which I hope he does or another Bama player does!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.