Report:The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion

If the SEC adds addtional teams, which are LIKELY choices? (Choose as many as you believe likely)

• Michigan

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Clemson

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Florida State

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other Big 12 schools

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other Big 10/11 schools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ACC schools

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Pac 12 schools

• AAC schools

• CUSA schools

• Independents schools

• Mountain West schools

• Sun Belt schools

• No immediate (next 1-3 years) additions

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
On a side note, I heard the idea on multiple Atlanta sports talk radio shows that if Bama moves to the SEC East, Georgia should pair with ND and migrate to the ACC . I guess they’re Skeered!

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
I no longer believe this is about the SEC. Sankey is in acquisition mode. He is building the successor to the NCAA. He may have co-conspirators like the Big 10 commish. Who knows? It won't happen fast but over 3 to 5 years. It is something that is long overdue. I just hope he is the guy who can pull it off.
I'm with you. It feels like Sankey is trying to move the top tier schools out of the NCAA with this. I can see UTx and OU being the first two dominoes to fall, but it seems like a logical progression to a true "league" scenario where it turns into an "AFC-NFC" thing with 24-28 teams per "conference". If that's the case, what the B1G wants as far as AAU schools becomes irrelevant.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm with you. It feels like Sankey is trying to move the top tier schools out of the NCAA with this. I can see UTx and OU being the first two dominoes to fall, but it seems like a logical progression to a true "league" scenario where it turns into an "AFC-NFC" thing with 24-28 teams per "conference". If that's the case, what the B1G wants as far as AAU schools becomes irrelevant.
If there's any truth to reaching out to Ohio St. and Michigan, then this means his end game goal might not just be a breakaway from the NCAA but complete control of the whole thing.

I don't really like the Oklahoma and Texas move all that much, and it leaves the Big 10 with a lot of their own moves. But if he does leave the NCAA behind, and he does end up going after Clemson and FSU for example, the final move wouldn't be to have some absurdly lopsided AFC/NFC thing (since the SEC would already have over half the football powers), but rather to simply to be the only entity.

Leave the NCAA, the SEC then forms their own post season and basically says join us or get left behind.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
speaking of super conferences, have you heard the one about USC, UCLA, Oregon and Colorado in talks with the B1G ?
I have not, but it makes sense and honestly is much more of a big boy move than adding Oklahoma and Texas. That's expanding into a territory of about 50 million, while also adding one of the top football brands. If they follow that up with Notre Dame the SEC would have been outmaneuvered.

Reactions: B1GTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I never realized that about any sort of national appeal Clemson might bring to the table. I meant to differentiate further between them and S. Carolina, but sometimes I get to typing and my mind moves on to a new thought before my fingers get it typed out.

Yes Clemson is certainly the dominant football entity in that state, no doubt about it. I guess what I meant was a compliment to their fans, who like Carolina fans, will still show up and support them even if they are down. It's just that Carolina is down a lot more than they are up.

Frankly, Clemson is really truly the ACC's historic football power. It just so happened that Florida State's entrance into the league was at a time of their peak under Bowden, and a time of turmoil for Clemson. However, in the SEC, it would remain to be seen where they would go. Their talent levels currently would make them a league contender. But like OU they would find the sledding a lot tougher.
I have been to CU-UGA and several CU-FSU games where the noise and atmosphere would rival any stadium in the country. At a CU-FSU game a number of years ago where FSU's #1 receiver was charged with purchasing goods at below market value at I think a Belks. Anyway, CU fans were given thousands of Belk shopping bags to wave over their heads...

I know people who do not have season tickets, but go and tail gate for hours before every game, then watch the game from the HDTV in their SUV or RV. They once allowed fans to leave at half-time, get a stamp on their hand, and come back in. I guess we all know what that was about...

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I have not, but it makes sense and honestly is much more of a big boy move than adding Oklahoma and Texas. That's expanding into a territory of about 50 million, while also adding one of the top football brands. If they follow that up with Notre Dame the SEC would have been outmaneuvered.
But none of those schools would be SEC targets, anyway, so it really isn't an outmaneuvering of the SEC. Maybe a reaction or countermove but nothing outmaneuvering, IMHO.

I still think there could be movement toward what I've promoted for 25 years: Take the top ~64 schools (roughly the P5) and abandon everybody else to play tiddlywinks by themselves or whatever they want to do and form a giant super-conference outside of the NCAA structure. This way you've got HUGE leverage with the networks and scheduling of teams that matter. The problem is you've got formerly good football schools (hello USC / UCLA / Michigan / FSU) who think they're better than they are both athletically and academically.

Schools like UA have come a looooong way academic-reputation wise in the last 30 years so that the stereotypes of old are no longer applicable. The B1G wants only AAU schools and it's such a myopic view of the world. If you look at the makeup of the 66 AAU schools the top half truly are elite and the bottom half not so much. It's really just a lobbying organization now for making sure research funding gets to them, based on what I can see, rather than the best research schools. But what do I know.... I'm just a benevolent dictator.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
it makes a lot of sense, being they are all Fox properties, and the PAC 12 and B1G networks are Fox partnerships. This could actually happen very quickly if Fox so wished!

It would also give the B1G a presence from coast to coast, including the three biggest cities in America!

the Big Ten expansion committee met in Feb for the first time in 2 years . That was when OU and Texas explored leaving the Big 12. That also gave the B1G warning they needed to explore options.
Funny , all The traveling and meeting during the height of COVID!

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.