Report:The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion

If the SEC adds addtional teams, which are LIKELY choices? (Choose as many as you believe likely)

• Michigan

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Clemson

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Florida State

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other Big 12 schools

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other Big 10/11 schools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ACC schools

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Pac 12 schools

• AAC schools

• CUSA schools

• Independents schools

• Mountain West schools

• Sun Belt schools

• No immediate (next 1-3 years) additions

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I'd kind of prefer that merger than for the SEC to try to fit every single football power into a single conference…
If this kind of deal happens, we’ll need to stop thinking about the SEC as a conference (in the traditional sense of the word). The SEC (which, as reported previously, would formally be called the SEC and no longer the Southeastern Conference) would be a new multi-sport league unto itself, like the NFL, the NBA, MLB and, horrible dictu, the NCAA all rolled into one. Roger Goodell would be looking up at Greg Sankey…

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If this kind of deal happens, we’ll need to stop thinking about the SEC as a conference (in the traditional sense of the word). The SEC (which, as reported previously, would formally be called the SEC and no longer the Southeastern Conference) would be a new multi-sport league unto itself, like the NFL, the NBA, MLB and, horrible dictu, the NCAA all rolled into one. Roger Goodell would be looking up at Greg Sankey…
This just floors me if they pull it off...I could see expansion, but nothing like this coming down the track.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
But none of those schools would be SEC targets, anyway, so it really isn't an outmaneuvering of the SEC. Maybe a reaction or countermove but nothing outmaneuvering, IMHO.
May be they should be, I specifically cited UCLA and USC as better targets for the SEC a few days ago. They do hold more value.

To paraphrase another poster, the Big 10 would be establishing a coast to coast brand, and the logistics of it really are not that troublesome if you make them football only additions. The problem is it would potentially leave the SEC behind both financially and politically. The SEC would be regional, the Big 10 would be national, and I don't see the Big 10 stopping there. They'd probably go on to add key pieces from the ACC at some point.

That's one reason I really would have preferred the 4 conference model with Texas and Oklahoma going to the Pac-12. Under that scenario the SEC would still potentially be the strongest conference.

Who knows though, but if this is happening the SEC has more work to do... I would add Illinois to the list of potential targets in the Big 10 if the SEC really is making calls.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Only because we are now a hoops school too. What happens to March Madness if the NCAA goes bye bye ?
There will still be a tournament.

I've seen suggested though a lot of this could be football only from the teams moving to the removal and replacement of the ncaa. In other words, the ncaa no longer controls big time football at all in any way but still controls everything else.

I have no idea how that is supposed to work without a fight.

TopBamaBloke

Scout Team
Jun 7, 2021
So if there all of these extra teams, does that mean we move to an 18 game NFL-like schedule? The concept of diminished marginal utility comes to mind.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So if there all of these extra teams, does that mean we move to an 18 game NFL-like schedule? The concept of diminished marginal utility comes to mind.
Idk if we can get anyone past OU and Texas. But if we went to 20 like is being suggested then I would say it would probably be either:

Option 1:

-12 game regular season
-4 divisions
-5 teams per divisions
-4 games in divisions and 8 games from the other division.
- those 8 games are determined by previous season’s placement in your division and rotation like the NFL
- 2 game Conference championship between division winners

Option 2:

-2 divisions
-12 game conference schedule.
- division winners play each other in SECCG

I think it will resemble the NFL, but without unions I don’t see a regular season expand pass 13 games.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Idk if we can get anyone past OU and Texas. But if we went to 20 like is being suggested then I would say it would probably be either:

Option 1:

-12 game regular season
-4 divisions
-5 teams per divisions
-4 games in divisions and 8 games from the other division.
- those 8 games are determined by previous season’s placement in your division and rotation like the NFL
- 2 game Conference championship between division winners

Option 2:

-2 divisions
-12 game conference schedule.
- division winners play each other in SECCG

I think it will resemble the NFL, but without unions I don’t see a regular season expand pass 13 games.
I like option 1 the best. After last year, I am already spoiled. That was the best thing about the Covid season. The all-SEC schedule, and the later start and playing into December.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
May be they should be, I specifically cited UCLA and USC as better targets for the SEC a few days ago. They do hold more value.

To paraphrase another poster, the Big 10 would be establishing a coast to coast brand, and the logistics of it really are not that troublesome if you make them football only additions. The problem is it would potentially leave the SEC behind both financially and politically. The SEC would be regional, the Big 10 would be national, and I don't see the Big 10 stopping there. They'd probably go on to add key pieces from the ACC at some point.

That's one reason I really would have preferred the 4 conference model with Texas and Oklahoma going to the Pac-12. Under that scenario the SEC would still potentially be the strongest conference.

Who knows though, but if this is happening the SEC has more work to do... I would add Illinois to the list of potential targets in the Big 10 if the SEC really is making calls.
As a reminder, the commissioner of the Big 10 is no longer Jim Delaney but a complete moron who likely would only conceive of your national notion by surfing message boards. I hear tell he went to the zoo and asked if he could see the Easter Seal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.