Report:The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion

If the SEC adds addtional teams, which are LIKELY choices? (Choose as many as you believe likely)

• Michigan

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Clemson

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Florida State

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other Big 12 schools

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other Big 10/11 schools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ACC schools

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Pac 12 schools

• AAC schools

• CUSA schools

• Independents schools

• Mountain West schools

• Sun Belt schools

• No immediate (next 1-3 years) additions

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You keep hearing about the proposal made to TX and OU and how attractive it was.

It literally could have been written on a napkin. 1 share = 1 vote = $80mm + 1/16 of other conference revenue. If anything else was promised to them and not other members this deal would not have got done. We like also said the SEC will not fund any early buyouts either but they join as early as 2022.

They are about to learn that Vandy has as much say as they do...
Texas said "We want in at 50%". SEC "5.88%". Texas ok 40%. SEC "5.88". Texas "Well we'll take 30%". SEC "5.88". Texas "give OU 5.88% and we'll come in at 20". SEC "5.88". Texas "we'll drop the Longhorn Network and take 10%". SEC "5.88 just like everyone else". Texas "Just like Alabama"? SEC "yep". Texas with hat in hands "ok then".

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Per Marc Ryan (PFF College) - Clemson and FSU have reached out to the SEC to inquire joining.
If Clemson joins all they'd need then is Ohio State to join and suddenly the SEC would have all the legitimate national championship contenders, so there would really be no need for a playoff. Just name the SEC champion the National Champion and be done with it.

Reactions: Con

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It would make sense for FSU and Clemson, rivalry and geographically, but does nothing in terms of adding “eyes on screens” viewership, and in turn, revenue.

In other words, it looks attractive from the fan perspective, but it does little to increase the “size of pie” while adding two more dining at the table.

Reactions: UAllday and KrAzY3

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
If Clemson joins all they'd need then is Ohio State to join and suddenly the SEC would have all the legitimate national championship contenders, so there would really be no need for a playoff. Just name the SEC champion the National Champion and be done with it.
That’s kinda how it’s been anyway.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would tell FSU they should have joined 30 years ago instead of the ACC.
This has been a sore spot with me from day one. Conversation I had (gist of it) with a FSU bozo (okay, he was actually a good friend) in the fall of 1992:

Me: I have ZERO respect for FSU. Chance to join the SEC. No. Why not? Will actually have to play someone. Miami, too. Screw 'em.

Him: Why would they do that? Miami keeps more money on their own and doesn't have to share it.

Me: Then why did the join a conference, the Big East? Why did FSU join the SEC?

Him: Better money deal.

Me: Try "didn't want to face a slaughterhouse schedule."

And then about 15 years ago, BOBBY BOWDEN ADMITTED this!!!

Think of it like this. Since 9/11 happened, FSU has only been a big deal during the Jameis Winston years JUST LIKE Texas has only been a big deal during the Vince Young years. To be fair, FSU was A LOT better than Texas 1987-200o, but still.

I agree with posters citing Notre Dame based solely on the fact they have folks across the country - but even then it isn't like it once was, either.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In the same thread, the guy says the SEC is concerned the streaming numbers from Clemson/FSU would not move the needle enough to justify. Says Notre Dame is the only worthwhile candidate left out there.
But I think this will be about the monopoly power, not about TV, too.

This means we will be down to either the SEC and Big 10 plus whoeer they get OR we'll grab Ohio State and Michigan and it's over.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The problem is Ohio State isn't likely to join. The Pac-12 and the Big 10 are likely to cooperate more and I would only assume in the long run Notre Dame would choose their rivals in those conferences. So Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc... they're still going to be bluebloods and their conferences will have around 50% of the say even if the SEC takes the ACC football powers (in a bizarre no new territory expansion).

So, Clemson gets murdered in the SEC until they're just another South Carolina and then what? The move seems lateral to me, although I can see the allure of adding FSU in terms of long-term plans to control territory. The state of South Carolina and Clemson are just small fish when it comes to big expansions.

The only way I see a move like this paying off is if it comes with a combination of North Carolina, Virginia and Notre Dame. Otherwise it's just stacking all the regional football powers on top of each other and something has to give.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It’s a nice idea but for some reason the OSU admin is sticking with the hopelessly awful and awfully inept Big Ten administration.
That's just too weird for me. Notre Dame too. I know we're going for world domination here, but I'd prefer the Big Ten stay the Big Ten and the SEC the SEC. Even if the number hasn't been right in years and we've long since left the southeastern borders behind.

Notre Dame to the ACC isn't a terrible stretch... but they really belong in the Big Ten as well if they ever do break down and join a conference.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.