Report:The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion

If the SEC adds addtional teams, which are LIKELY choices? (Choose as many as you believe likely)

• Michigan

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Clemson

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Florida State

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other Big 12 schools

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other Big 10/11 schools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ACC schools

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Pac 12 schools

• AAC schools

• CUSA schools

• Independents schools

• Mountain West schools

• Sun Belt schools

• No immediate (next 1-3 years) additions

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Doesn't even make sense. Sewanee was a founding member. Slippery Rock is a nobody.
They're up and comers. But good point about Sewanee. Besides, their SOS makes Texas and OU look like junior colleges.

With just 13 players, the team known as the "Iron Men" had a six-day road trip with five shutout wins over Texas A&M, Texas, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss. Sportswriter Grantland Rice called the group "the most durable football team I ever saw."[1] The road trip is recalled memorably with the Biblical allusion "...and on the seventh day they rested."
Best team of all time

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
If the intent is to absorb as much as we can and kill the NCAA, then take the whole ACC and add Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, and West Virginia to have 36 teams. Make 4 divisions of 9 teams each. Play an 8 game round robin inside the division. Be the first conference with a playoff. Each of the 4 division champs qualify.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If the intent is to absorb as much as we can and kill the NCAA, then take the whole ACC and add Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, UCF, USF, and West Virginia to have 36 teams. Make 4 divisions of 9 teams each. Play an 8 game round robin inside the division. Be the first conference with a playoff. Each of the 4 division champs qualify.
Unnecessary, and likely counter-productive.

All it takes is to add 2-4 more teams and the other P5 conferences will see what's coming - they will either adapt (build another mega-conference) or they will die. IOW, the SEC just has to push the ball up the field here and the NCAA will be finished - the SEC doesn't have to single-handedly drive the stake through the heart.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
True. But it would make it where everyone would be watching the SEC non stop and we would dominate every sport like no conference ever has, making the amount of power we would have unprecedented. We could make our own rules basically.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm all for Ga. Tech. They belong. We even sing about 'em in our fight song! And yeah, Georgia will have to share the spotlight with them, so to speak. They need a little brother to bug 'em like we have with the Barn.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
https://dailycaller.com/2021/07/24/...ate-clemson-michigan-florida-state-expansion/

REPORT: The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion
o_O:oops:

What are the chances? Zero? Possible?
I don't know how likely this report is, but more changes are coming quick.
SEC not targeting anyone. SEC didn't target TEX and OU. The website you linked is clickbait, and has been clickbait for its entire life. Changes are coming, but that website is clueless.

Reactions: rolltd

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It really depends on whether Sankey's goal is to raise more revenue by expanding the market map or if his ultimate goal is to build an NCAA-killer.

If it's the latter, then market matters less than name.
I think one of the big issues is if college football is going to continue being as strong they can't just abandon the west and the north. I think the move the SEC made was so big that it you can't stop there, it's just a matter of who does what. If the SEC is aggressive may be they can claim more territory. Fans still have regional allegiances, so just the south won't be enough to leave the NCAA or even to have just two mega conferences.

If not, the only thing keeping the Big 10 from taking over is their own arrogance (the AAU nonsense in particular). The Big 10 could just add Texas Tech and and Kansas, 6 teams from the Pac-12, and then Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, North Carolina, Virginia and one more. Then they just make 4 7 team divisions. They'd be plucking teams from the top half of the ACC, Big 12, and Pac-12 so there wouldn't be a reduction in revenue. They'd also be encircling the SEC. Then it would be a matter of waiting out the SEC because eventually there would be no choice but to merge, given it would be a national product vs. a regional one. Not just that but politically, media coverage, etc... would be fawning over Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Ohio St, etc... like they always have.

In the long run I think it will be a matter of who is willing to be aggressive enough. The SEC made a real aggressive move, but it's certainly not a NCAA-killer yet. They can't surpass what we have now with just the south on board. I also don't think things can stay the way they are now, the SEC is way too top heavy and the three other conferences aren't just going to automatically vote all those SEC teams into a playoff.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really do not understand the Vitriol from around college football. Where was the anger when the ACC literally destroyed the Big East? where was the threatened backlash when the B1G raided the ACC for Maryland and Rutgers?
The south has for some time has had a disproportionately large amount of college football powers, but were under-represented in the media and politically so to speak.

The SEC already was very nearly on their own a few times in recent memory, they nearly had playoffs with conference champions as a mandatory requirement, they did the signing limit thing thinking they would get the NCAA to adopt it (nope).

So, even with this massive new SEC, they still only have representation from red states in the south. The other conferences all took schools from other conferences, The Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, ACC, they all did it and they know it. They don't care though, they don't like what the south is doing and they understand that this can become a political fight. If you can't beat the SEC on the field, you just try to beat them elsewhere.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I really do not understand the Vitriol from around college football. Where was the anger when the ACC literally destroyed the Big East? where was the threatened backlash when the B1G raided the ACC for Maryland and Rutgers?
I feel like I could explain it but it would carry us into territory that is not allowed on this message board. Frankly, I'm not sure it would be tolerated on the non-sports board either.

Suffice it to say that the root causes for this lie far beyond the world of sports.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I feel like I could explain it but it would carry us into territory that is not allowed on this message board. Frankly, I'm not sure it would be tolerated on the non-sports board either.

Suffice it to say that the root causes for this lie far beyond the world of sports.
I think that I know where you are going, but disagree. I think that the rest of the college football world is running scared. The SEC has dominated the sport in terms of championships for over a decade, and now the SEC is looking to dominate the sport financially. Pretty soon the SEC will have more power than the rest of the sport combined.

Now, I don't fault the SEC for this. There is a power vacuum and the SEC has decided to fill it. Good for them. But it was going to provoke a response, and people get petty when they are afraid.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think that I know where you are going, but disagree. I think that the rest of the college football world is running scared. The SEC has dominated the sport in terms of championships for over a decade, and now the SEC is looking to dominate the sport financially. Pretty soon the SEC will have more power than the rest of the sport combined.

Now, I don't fault the SEC for this. There is a power vacuum and the SEC has decided to fill it. Good for them. But it was going to provoke a response, and people get petty when they are afraid.
I do tend to over-analyze.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.