Reports: Bama/Texas To Be an 11:00AM Kickoff

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Like everyone else I hate 11:00 starts but have a question on whether it would be as hot or hotter in the 3:00 to 5:00 time frame. The obvious solution is to play it at night but within the powers that be who really cares about players health.
Yes it would probably be at its peak sometime between 1-5. A night game especially given the aura is the only sensible thing. There’s not another game worth anything on that week.

Again - to be clear - it’s all rumor at this point.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I could be wrong but it seems awfully early for broadcast schedules to be released.

Neither the Alabama nor the Texas official football schedules indicate this.

I'll wait and see, but I'm not worried either way. Bama will be ready.
Fox’s main game of the day is always 11 am. That is unless they have 2 that day. It’s one of the reasons Texas and Oklahoma wanted out of the BIG XII. Oklahoma especially. Oklahoma went 3 straight years without a conference home game that wasn’t 11 am.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I may be wrong on this but doesn’t Fox also show MLB games on the weekend in September at say 3pm?

That too would mess with the time if so. Sorry I don’t know, it’s been years since I watched network games in regular season.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
This is really pretty simple. The 11:00 AM start for Fox keeps their games from directly competing with the marquee games in the SEC/B1G, or even a solid ACC matchup. About 90% of the time that would make perfect sense but seems they would make an exception since they have that day's national marquee matchup. I hope this isn't just them being petty.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is really pretty simple. The 11:00 AM start for Fox keeps their games from directly competing with the marquee games in the SEC/B1G, or even a solid ACC matchup. About 90% of the time that would make perfect sense but seems they would make an exception since they have that day's national marquee matchup. I hope this isn't just them being petty.
Pittsburgh and Tennessee is the only other noteworthy game that day....

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
We are not talking Phoenix here, It can’t be 105-110 degrees that day, unless there is a historic heat wave. The record high in 100 years is 100 For Austin for that day. record high for that day in Tuscaloosa is 99. the average for that day in Austin is 92.2, the average for that day in Birmingham is 87.4 . I couldn’t find historical data on Tuscaloosa but I will add that Tuscaloosa weather runs about 2 degrees hotter than Birmingham on average so I would say it’s about 89. Don’t believe me? Check the weather channels long range forecast and every day in T-town is hotter. The big difference is dew point where every day I checked the dew point was about 25-30 degrees higher in Birmingham than Austin. Much higher humidity. BTW, the temp was close to average in Austin most years over the last 10, but 2 recent years it didn’t even make it to the eighties. Only one year over the past eleven , it was in the upper nineties. Most years it was around 92.
What does it mean? Its probably going to be hot. But coming out of August in Alabama , the team should be acclimated. I would dare say with superior recruiting, Alabama depth should be better than Texas , which may be an advantage.
Big Noon Kickoff on Fox. I could see that happening. Don’t like it, but could see it.

Weather data history

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I did Basic training in the summer in San Antonio and had Tech School there from July to September. Texas is nowhere near as miserable as Alabama. Yes the numbers get up there In Texas but the humidity in the Deep South will make you say uncle. I think the only more miserable place I’ve been is Jersey in the summer for pre deployment.

Last edited:
Reactions: REDSEA and FaninLA

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We are not talking Phoenix here, It can’t be 105-110 degrees that day, unless there is a historic heat wave. The record high in 100 years is 100 For Austin for that day. record high for that day in Tuscaloosa is 99. the average for that day in Austin is 92.2, the average for that day in Birmingham is 87.4 . I couldn’t find historical data on Tuscaloosa but I will add that Tuscaloosa weather runs about 2 degrees hotter than Birmingham on average so I would say it’s about 89. Don’t believe me? Check the weather channels long range forecast and every day in T-town is hotter. The big difference is dew point where every day I checked the dew point was about 25-30 degrees higher in Birmingham than Austin. Much higher humidity. BTW, the temp was close to average in Austin most years over the last 10, but 2 recent years it didn’t even make it to the eighties. Only one year over the past eleven , it was in the upper nineties. Most years it was around 92.
What does it mean? Its probably going to be hot. But coming out of August in Alabama , the team should be acclimated. I would dare say with superior recruiting, Alabama depth should be better than Texas , which may be an advantage.
Big Noon Kickoff on Fox. I could see that happening. Don’t like it, but could see it.

Weather data history
With all due respect, you're not getting what's being said here.

You're addressing the PLAYERS. The players, being young, conditioned, and healthy are going to do just fine, plus we have all that we know and a highly paid staff (as does Texas) to not suffer a horrible tragedy like Gregg Pratt or Korey Stringer. We've learned a lot.

We are referring to those going to the game and attending in person. Quoting us sterile high temperatures doesn't address heat index, it doesn't address how hot it gets in the stands when you have 100,000 other bodies giving off heat around you, and doesn't figure for reflected heat.

In terms of the TELECAST at 11am, who really cares? Well - having lived on the Left Coast about 20 years ago, there's good and bad that come with the 9am kickoff. The good is that you don't have to hum around waiting for the games to begin; the bad is that if you tie one on on Friday night, you may not wake up until the fourth quarter of an 11 am game in the Central Time zone.

The air temperature was 94 with an index of 105 back in 2019 when 130 fans at BDS were treated for heat-related illnesses. And you know that not everyone who may have needed irrigated went and saw a medical worker. 81 is correct in that the HUMIDITY in Alabama/Mississippi is FAR WORSE. But the heat indexes beating directly on the fans isn't going to be very fun, and I dare say you'll have far more people liquidated with booze even at 11 am with a Redneck Bowl than you did for us playing the likes of WKU and NM State early in the morning.

That's all I'm saying.

Players? They'll be fine. The humidity in 2023 at BDS is going to be far more of a factor for Texas than the heat index will for the Alabama players in September. That part is correct.

Reactions: Con and bamaga

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
With all due respect, you're not getting what's being said here.

You're addressing the PLAYERS. The players, being young, conditioned, and healthy are going to do just fine, plus we have all that we know and a highly paid staff (as does Texas) to not suffer a horrible tragedy like Gregg Pratt or Korey Stringer. We've learned a lot.

We are referring to those going to the game and attending in person. Quoting us sterile high temperatures doesn't address heat index, it doesn't address how hot it gets in the stands when you have 100,000 other bodies giving off heat around you, and doesn't figure for reflected heat.

In terms of the TELECAST at 11am, who really cares? Well - having lived on the Left Coast about 20 years ago, there's good and bad that come with the 9am kickoff. The good is that you don't have to hum around waiting for the games to begin; the bad is that if you tie one on on Friday night, you may not wake up until the fourth quarter of an 11 am game in the Central Time zone.

The air temperature was 94 with an index of 105 back in 2019 when 130 fans at BDS were treated for heat-related illnesses. And you know that not everyone who may have needed irrigated went and saw a medical worker. 81 is correct in that the HUMIDITY in Alabama/Mississippi is FAR WORSE. But the heat indexes beating directly on the fans isn't going to be very fun, and I dare say you'll have far more people liquidated with booze even at 11 am with a Redneck Bowl than you did for us playing the likes of WKU and NM State early in the morning.

That's all I'm saying.

Players? They'll be fine. The humidity in 2023 at BDS is going to be far more of a factor for Texas than the heat index will for the Alabama players in September. That part is correct.
my issue with the players is mainly Bama doesn’t start well at 11. That may be due to competition normally played at that time, but my hope is we get off to a good start.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I don't think it's a matter of the heat or humidity. I think it is indicative of just how far Texas football has fallen. Normally Alabama play 11:00 a.m. kickoffs for lower level FCS opponents and I think that is the case here.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We are not talking Phoenix here, It can’t be 105-110 degrees that day, unless there is a historic heat wave. The record high in 100 years is 100 For Austin for that day.
You apparently haven't spent much time in Texas.

I don't care what the "history" says, it can be brutal in September and even October in Texas that time of year. If it can be over 110 in Dallas in October (saw it/felt it) I'm pretty sure it *could be* 100 or more the second week of September. If I'm guessing right now, I'd say it'll be a minor miracle if the temp is not in the mid 90's that day and no telling what the heat index will feel like.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.