Reports: Bama/Texas To Be an 11:00AM Kickoff

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
If it's hotter than one of the Vanderbilt games I attended in Nashville about 20 years ago I guess that everyone will just expire right there in the stadium. I remember the first game in the new East upper deck in T-town against BYU. If that hadn't been a night game there would've probably been no survivors.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
It’s either going to be 11am on Fox or 6:30 on ABC and the two other noteworthy National games that weekend are Kentucky/Florida and USC/Stanford.

Fox obviously doesn’t carry SEC games, ABC won’t carry SEC games until 2024, CBS doesn’t air SEC games until like week 3, I doubt USC/Stanford would agree to a 9am kickoff, and if it’s true that Fox has the first pick, no way they pass that up as their big noon game as Alabama alone being on Fox would make Alabama/Texas one of their biggest games ever, at least outside of the OSU/Michigan and RRS games, so it probably will look like this:

Alabama @ Texas: 11am on Fox
Kentucky @ Florida: 6pm on ESPN
USC @ Stanford: 6:30 on ABC

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Spoke to my brother on Saturday evening (side note: he's been nominated for an Emmy, so he was out getting his suit etc; only took him 15 years, LOL).

He says the whole Fox thing of showing the Big Game at noon (Eastern) is that they basically concede that as long as CBS has the SEC contract and ABC/ESPN/The Mouse have the Big 12 game at that time and ABC has the night game, they have zero chance of denting the market with high-rated games. And thus.....their entire strategy is to "own the East" by putting on their blockbuster in the first slot not competing against the other established and big name networks/games.

Now - ORDINARILY, I would agree with this strategy up to a point, even if it does reek of "anything west of the Mississippi can drop dead", and it's tied to their NFL contract planning (vision-wise I mean) with NFC teams in places like Philly, DC, Carolina, and Florida (we'll set aside the argument over whether Jacksonville constitutes an actual NFL franchise).

It's just that it seems to me that part of the way you expand your brand here is to take strategic gambles when they make sense. And THIS GAME makes sense. If this were 2010, it would make even more sense, but it still makes sense. Go put on your best product with a 7pm Austin kickoff and see if you can't dent the market somehow. The game should draw a good number on television regardless. Only an unforseen upset by ULM the previous week might tinker with the willingness of UT folks to watch the game.

Again - I'm not in TV, and they have highly paid folks deciding that (but they're not perfect ahem). This to me is no different than when CBS got the UGA-Notre Dame game in 2019 and were willing to give up the tradition of Alabama vs LSU at night that season. Then I have to remember CBS has been at this a whole lot longer than Fox has. But you'd think a network that screwed up NASCAR and the World Series broadcasts and schedules might learn a thing or two.

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
There's a chance I'll go to the game, so 11am isn't ideal. My Sister in Law lives in Houston, so we'd probably stay with her and then drive to the game. That's what we did with the playoff game in Dallas 2 years ago and the TAMU game last year. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Austin, so we'd have to leave before 8am to get there. Not too bad, but not ideal.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
“The President told me his advice was ‘Go west young man,’ but….I was in California at the time.”
Same here. He even ordered me to go west from Cali. Had to start the tailgate at 4:30am. People thought we were crazy grilling and drinking at the crack of dawn! Except the Aussies, pretty normal for them. Heck, at one point I went so far west that it became East .

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
He says the whole Fox thing of showing the Big Game at noon (Eastern) is that they basically concede that as long as CBS has the SEC contract and ABC/ESPN/The Mouse have the Big 12 game at that time and ABC has the night game, they have zero chance of denting the market with high-rated games. And thus.....their entire strategy is to "own the East" by putting on their blockbuster in the first slot not competing against the other established and big name networks/games.
Funny thing is, I still don't watch the Fox games so, their strategy is failing in my house. I'd rather watch whoever Vandy is playing on the SEC Network at 11am then Fox. I just don't like their broadcast style for college. They don't try and make it feel any different than their stale NFL broadcasts. They use the same stupid robot graphics, same NFL music, etc. It is just boring.

I do agree though. They are idiots for not putting this game in prime time. They finally have the biggest game of the week and still don't think they can dent the ratings. See, why should I watch Fox games when they don't even have faith in their own broadcasts.

You want people to watch then tailor the show to the college crowd and not make it feel like a prelude to NFL Sunday.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The wayward direction of this thread, I’d say that was pretty close to topic.
I volunteered to do the CA (construction administration). We usually have a guy for this, but I offered. My role is typically designer so boss says no.

FYI. CA is basically making sure the guys are building it right.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Klatt does color for these games. Mute button is your friend.
Watching a USFL game the other day for background noise was actually kinda funny hearing Klatt berate Mike Perrera for a solid 20 minutes for a bad review while talking to him.

But there is a worse possibility than Klatt… You do know that Meyer and Brando call games for Fox too.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I think Klatt does color for these games. Mute button is your friend.
Here’s the deal, I like Klatt but there are times when he tries to hard to be anti-SEC, or anti-Bama.

Excited for Gus Johnson to finally be calling a Bama game though.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
You apparently haven't spent much time in Texas.

I don't care what the "history" says, it can be brutal in September and even October in Texas that time of year. If it can be over 110 in Dallas in October (saw it/felt it) I'm pretty sure it *could be* 100 or more the second week of September...
With apologies to @selmaborntidefan, this is like saying you can throw out the records when it comes to the Iron Bowl. It just isn't true.

According to weather.gov, the latest it has hit 100 in DFW is October 3. If you were old enough then to be able to remember that 106 degree day now (say, 3 at the time?), you're turning at least 74 this year.

Normal Austin temps for September 10 (according to weatherspark.com):
TimeAverageAverage Perceived90th Percentile
11am848788
1pm889294
3pm919497
There would seem to be perhaps a 1 in 10 chance of triple digits on the 40 Acres at any time during this game. Acknowledging that, as we all learned over the weekend, longshots can cash tickets, in that event it ought to be late enough that our guys should already have MTAQ anyway...

Reason for edit: overediting leads to more editing...

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Makes no difference to me. We'll either blow them out while their players are melting on the field during the day, or we'll blow them out while their players are melting on the field at night.

For those of you actually attending that game, well, I would feel for you whether it was 105 or 72 and breezy. I mean, come on. You're going to be surrounded by Texas fans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.