BREAKING Reports: Kiffin to Auburn; ... Black Bears deny; ... Auburn: Who? Us? … Kiffin: No Thank You ... (Some) AU Folks: Slow your roll ... Freeze: I accept

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Yes but most of these schools have long since left the "Baptist" part behind. And I'm not making excuses. I'm speaking in terms of what is reality. This was true long before scandal hit their doorsteps.
They still adhere to their Baptist values.

Liberty still has the most restrictive honor code I've ever seen, and it looks like they enforce it. Look it up and be amazed. Then wonder at the hypocrisy of Falwell Jr getting caught breaking like 10 of those edicts.

Baylor is also restrictive but supposedly much more laid back. More of a "you'll find what you're looking for situation."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As long as AU keeps chasing unrealistic candidates this is how this HC'ing Search will keep going.....

They should have tried for Fickell, Rhule, or maybe Aranda or Campbell from the start instead of Kiffin, Prime, and Sleazy.

Jeff Grimes and Mark Stoops are probably the only other names I can think of right now that they might could get.

One thing is for sure... a 'Destination Job' AU is not or they would probably already have their guy signed.
Funny meme!

You mention Mark Stoops. If he can make KY partially competitive in the SEC with his style of hard nose football, he could probably win 9 or 10 games a year at Auburn doing the same. And if you think about it, it would make sense to try and pull off.

Remember when Chizik decided he'd try to make Auburn into Bama South by going big OL and heavy with the run? That's why got him fired...that and not having sCam anymore.

If Auburn was smart (I know, I know) they might try to go the Michigan route and just play power football and be the antithesis of what Bama has become...lighter, faster, more finesse and high scoring.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
As long as AU keeps chasing unrealistic candidates this is how this HC'ing Search will keep going.....

They should have tried for Fickell, Rhule, or maybe Aranda or Campbell from the start instead of Kiffin, Prime, and Sleazy.

Jeff Grimes and Mark Stoops are probably the only other names I can think of right now that they might could get.

One thing is for sure... a 'Destination Job' AU is not or they would probably already have their guy signed.
Jeff Grimes

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Remember when Chizik decided he'd try to make Auburn into Bama South by going big OL and heavy with the run? That's why got him fired...that and not having sCam anymore.
Yeah, the tipping point was Gus departing and Auburn trying to install a pro-set offense under Loeffler. Even with a middling QB situation in 2011 where we played several different guys we didn't completely melt on that side of the ball like we did in 2012. Go winless in the SEC and need a tremendous amount of luck and OT to beat a directional Louisiana school?

Then Gus comes in, basically adds one JUCO QB (who may have been better suited to Malzahn's HUNH than even Cam) and came a hair's breadth from another National Championship.

Reactions: B1GTide

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
If Auburn was smart (I know, I know) they might try to go the Michigan route and just play power football and be the antithesis of what Bama has become...lighter, faster, more finesse and high scoring.
I think the pendulum is going to swing back to run heavy offenses very soon. Defenses are getting lighter and faster, and eventually someone is going to realize there is success to be had just trying to line up and mow them down again.

To a degree Lane has figured this out with Quinshon Judkins and the best rushing O outside of the service academies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the pendulum is going to swing back to run heavy offenses very soon. Defenses are getting lighter and faster, and eventually someone is going to realize there is success to be had just trying to line up and mow them down again.

To a degree Lane has figured this out with Quinshon Judkins and the best rushing O outside of the service academies.
See "the team up north" for exhibit A.

Hope Bama swings back to a more balanced pro style offense in the next couple of years for this reason.

Reactions: Cruloc and B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Yep and I think we saw that with our bigger backs this season with McClellan and Roydell Williams. Gibbs is a very good versatile back, but as the year went on it was apparent he was easier to tackle at the LOS than the other two backs.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Yep and I think we saw that with our bigger backs this season with McClellan and Roydell Williams. Gibbs is a very good versatile back, but as the year went on it was apparent he was easier to tackle at the LOS than the other two backs.
I think to a degree you sort of saw it at Auburn as the season progressed, and interim OC Will Friend even had us running the I-formation. Not only that, actually having success out of it. Our offense under Kiesau was just a train wreck.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think the most important thing in the college game today is being able to "run it when you need to run" and when the other guy knows you are. That has been out Achilles heel the last two years. Simply lining up on a 3rd and two and saying "Here we come. You know what we're doing. You stop us".

That is what CNS built this program on. Imposing your will on the other team and dominating them. We have gotten away from that and we need to find it again.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Liberty still has the most restrictive honor code I've ever seen, and it looks like they enforce it. Look it up and be amazed. Then wonder at the hypocrisy of Falwell Jr getting caught breaking like 10 of those edicts.

Baylor is also restrictive but supposedly much more laid back. More of a "you'll find what you're looking for situation."
Liberty will kick a kid out of school, but they won't fire a head coach who more severely breaks their code. That is selectively enforcement, not enforcement. The kids there all know the deal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, the tipping point was Gus departing and Auburn trying to install a pro-set offense under Loeffler. Even with a middling QB situation in 2011 where we played several different guys we didn't completely melt on that side of the ball like we did in 2012. Go winless in the SEC and need a tremendous amount of luck and OT to beat a directional Louisiana school?

Then Gus comes in, basically adds one JUCO QB (who may have been better suited to Malzahn's HUNH than even Cam) and came a hair's breadth from another National Championship.
I believe that Gene Chizik could have been a successful head coach with the right staff around him, and at the right school. He isn't complaining. He has made life changing money in his career.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
Liberty will kick a kid out of school, but they won't fire a head coach who more severely breaks their code. That is selectively enforcement, not enforcement. The kids there all know the deal.
It's sad to see hypocrisy like this, especially when I myself am a Christian. We can all be hypocrites, but when leaders are found to be this lacking they should be removed. Liberty never should have hired Freeze in the first place. This kind of stuff gives a bad name to those that are sincerely trying to do the right thing because we get lumped in with these goons.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Restrictions are not an/the issue. Plenty of zero-restriction options at almost all other higher-ed institutions.

The issue is overt hypocrisy / selective enforcement ( as articulated by @selmaborntidefan ).

Freeze shouldn't be coaching because of his actions but I'm hoping Awburn hires him so we can continue fire-in-the-dumpster watching during 2023. It's become an olympic sport down on dem plains.

Still not sure how he qualifies under Sankey's "high ethics" statements.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Did anyone watch him in the sidelines?
It was like watching Martin Lawrence…and not to be mean…but what’s his favorite color of crayon?…and can he spell it?
Calling that timeout right before halftime told me everything there is to know about Cadillac's coaching ability... :unsure:

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
What ever happened to Mullen being a candidate. I thought with Cohen in place Mullen would always be their ‘fallback’ guy after the first 4 or 5 candidates didn’t work out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.