Rest in peace, TommyMac...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Very sad to hear this. Back when I joined this board in 2003, TommyMac was one of the first posters on here that I interacted with. He had to set me straight a few times early on but I grew to greatly respect him and loved reading his posts and always wanted to know his opinion on the latest in Bama football. He was an old time Bama fan that could really tell some interesting stories too. He also had a GREAT recipe for barbecue sauce over on the Grillin and Chillin board that I still use to this day(lol). He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family.

Reactions: ALB215

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I knew he struggled with his health, may he rest in peace. We didn't always see eye to eye on everything but we were friends. He loved the Crimson Tide and had old school class.

ALB215

Aug 3, 2019
Mobile County
I am sick to hear this...I worked with Tommy at the Orlando Fire Department from 1974 until his retirement around 1990. We worked at Station 11 together for many years. In fact, the day I walked in to the station Tommy said, "who is your favorite college football team?" I said, "Alabama," to which Tommy replied, "Son, we are gonna get along fine."

Tommy was an Engineer (driver/pump operator) but for about six months with our Lt. out with injury, he rode out of grade as Lt. We had a lot of fun, while getting the job done. I actually met Tommy first playing football for the Freaks in the Freaks vs Fuzz games. We played regulation football, we were mostly college students and he was playing for the cops. Tommy played nose guard for them, and he was very quick and agile. I was the Freaks QB. We won easily, but Tommy gave me a fit all game, regularly beating our center and chasing me out of the pocket. A very good all round athlete, we played on some championship winning softball teams for the Fire Department. When my daughter Lindsay was born in 1982 Tommy left a lil Alabama Cheerleader outfit on the front door.

Tommy was a voracious reader, especially of Alabama football, history (especially like WWII) and if I remember also western novels. He was so much fun to be around and made everyday on duty a blast. I had not heard from him in years but around 2011 I was racing my Corvette at Roebling Road in Georgia and he called out of the blue. We had a wonderful, but too brief conversation. I messaged him from time to time on here, but then he suddenly stopped responding .

Tommy Mac was a great friend, father, firefighter and a whole lot more. As many know, he was very intelligent with a quick wit. I am gonna miss my buddy and am sad I did not get to see him in his later years.

Godspeed Brother... I Love ya !

Robert "Bosco" Logsdon
DeLand, Fl
Sounds like some damn good times. I enjoyed reading your post. I remember you from when I was little kid visiting my grandpa at the fire station. I remember my grandfather mentioning that you're a member on this site, so I was hoping you'd see this post. He always had nothing but good things to say about you. How have you been these days? Hope all is well.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Sorry to hear about your loss and the loss of a Tidefans family member. Always liked him! RIP TommyMac.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Lmao, oh man that is great stuff. Very funny . Btw I have Butch and am taking good care of him. My grandpa loved that dog so much.
Thanks for letting us know. He and I used to correspond frequently via PM. He never hesitated to tell me how the site could be better run. :D I knew that his quality of life had dipped a great deal after moving back to Mobile. In fact, IIRC, he had become wheelchair bound. Our communication sort of tapered off. We all miss him...

Reactions: dathbama and ALB215

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
He was my grandfather. I figured y'all would want to know he passed away. He was a long time member here and this place meant a lot to him and brought him so much joy in life. I thought this would be a good post for y'all to pay your respects.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/saraland-al/thomas-mcmichael-8719089

P.S. I'm sorry for how late this is. Even before my grandfather died I signed up twice on here and never got a confirmation email.
Very sorry to hear about your loss, I always enjoyed his posts on here. RIP TommyMac

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Very sorry to hear of your loss. TommyMac was one of those posters you paid attention to. RIP. Give Banjeaux a hearty Roll Tide when you get to them pearly gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I really hate to hear this news. TommyMac was certainly one of our keystones here. As internet message boards in general, and this site in particular, "matures" over the years, we're starting to see the first wave of people who are both long-term contributors as well as early members begin to pass away. This is still a new phenomenon for us humans, and it's never easy.

I had mentioned this to friends and family recently: We take a lot of pictures of "firsts." Our kids' first steps, our first home, our first time at a particular vacation spot, etc. We don't know how to remember the "lasts" very well. One day we will pick up our kids and carry them in our arms for the last time and no one will tell us it will never happen again. We all went, one day, into the yard to throw the ball around with our dads (or moms, or siblings) and then never did it again afterward. One day I will write my last story here for TideFans without knowing there won't be a next. One day recently, some of you read a TommyMac post and didn't know he'd never make another.

Our prayers go out to the family. May the joy of remembrance outweigh the pain of grief.

Reactions: oskie and ALB215

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I really hate to hear this news. TommyMac was certainly one of our keystones here. As internet message boards in general, and this site in particular, "matures" over the years, we're starting to see the first wave of people who are both long-term contributors as well as early members begin to pass away. This is still a new phenomenon for us humans, and it's never easy.

I had mentioned this to friends and family recently: We take a lot of pictures of "firsts." Our kids' first steps, our first home, our first time at a particular vacation spot, etc. We don't know how to remember the "lasts" very well. One day we will pick up our kids and carry them in our arms for the last time and no one will tell us it will never happen again. We all went, one day, into the yard to throw the ball around with our dads (or moms, or siblings) and then never did it again afterward. One day I will write my last story here for TideFans without knowing there won't be a next. One day recently, some of you read a TommyMac post and didn't know he'd never make another.

Our prayers go out to the family. May the joy of remembrance outweigh the pain of grief.
Cat's In The Cradle for all of us. The OFC knows what I'm talking about.

For the non-OFC, YouTube Harry Chapin's song of that name. Have an adult beverage handy, listen to the song, and tell somebody you love them....preferably face-to-face, alternatively over the phone. But not email, and definitely not text.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.