Restaurants to visit on game weekends

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Since it hasn't been asked yet, but will be, thought I would go ahead and start the restaurant thread and try to update out-of-towners about some of the old and new restaurants in town (I live in Northport).

* Homestyle food: Slight price increase at City Cafe, but it's still a deal (got to get there by 4 pm Friday though); Mr. Bill's in Northport has great smoked wings (open till Friday night)

* Steaks: Nick's in the Sticks is good for some (not my taste though); Sante Fe and Longhorn are two good chains that cook a good steak here; note: don't eat at Buddy's unless you have an iron-clad stomach.

* Seafood: Chuck's Fish (downtown); Bayou Seafood (good food for price); Steamers (just off downtown bridge on Northport side) has changed hands and is now Wentzell's (based on gulf coast); Bottomfeeders (catfish; just off campus).

* Italian: Cafe Venice & De Palmas highly regarded by most in the area (both are downtown); Mr. G's in Northport makes great lasagna; can't beat a sub at Hungry Howie's (otherwise known as calzones).

* Chinese: Buffet City (Skyland) considered by most in area to be the best buffet in town

* Japenese: Hokkaido is best IMO... especially for grill; Kobe (mid-town) is highly regarded also (only eaten there once)

* Barbeque: Dreamland (especially Jug Factory Rd. location); Full Moon, Archibalds (take your pick on all three and you won't be disappointed); Wings, Buffalo Phil's (campus), Buffalo Wild Wings (same on the wings)

* Burgers: Five Guys & Fries (mid-town, best fries); Mugshots (downtown, best burger); Rama Jama's (best shakes); if in Northport, try Bama Barbeque & Grill (Hwy 82) or Rachel's (Hwy 43 just north of 82).

* "Atmosphere" with various dishes: Cypress Inn (try the muffins!; Rice Mine Rd. between 82 and 69/43); have heard good reports on Epiphany (downtown) and Angelene's (Greensboro Ave.) but not tried them.

* Breakfast: City Cafe; Buddy's (no extra fiber needed); The Waysider; son of the Waysider's owners has opened Cedar House Restaurant on 43 north about 3 miles from 82... serving breakfast, lunch (breakfast available then), & supper (good food at supper).

Not an exhaustive list by any means... but a starting point if you're new to the area. Didn't add many chain restaurants because most know their quality... I'm sure others will add/comment on the above list later in the thread. RTR... enjoy the food while you watch the Tide!

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu
I must say, Tee's Ribs n' Things is the best BBQ joint in Tuscaloosa. Archibald's is good, but not as good as Tee's. I never would have tried it had I not made it a personal quest to eat at every BBQ restaurant before I graduated.

Yep, that about sums it up. The original is much better.
Ditto on that notion.

For BBQ, might I recommend Mike and Ed's on 15th Street.

For burgers/Mediterranean style food, you can't go wrong with Hooligans on University Blvd. Speaking of Mediterranean, Tut's on the Strip will always be a favorite of mine since it basically kept me fed my freshman year when I lived on Reed Street.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Ditto on that notion.

For BBQ, might I recommend Mike and Ed's on 15th Street.

For burgers/Mediterranean style food, you can't go wrong with Hooligans on University Blvd. Speaking of Mediterranean, Tut's on the Strip will always be a favorite of mine since it basically kept me fed my freshman year when I lived on Reed Street.
Ditto on Holligans... fast service too.

tdinchitwn

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 30, 2000
chicago, il, usa
Every time i come to town, i have to go to Bob baumhower's for the best cheese fries ever, also good wings and sandwiches, cant go wrong with the Royal rooster. Also good atmosphere with alot of good memorabilia on walls

AthleticTrainer

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2007
Birmingham, AL
* Homestyle food: Slight price increase at City Cafe, but it's still a deal (got to get there by 4 pm Friday though); Mr. Bill's in Northport has great smoked wings (open till Friday night)
I have two places that will beat city hands down. KSV and Maggies! Both places look sketchy, but the food is downright amazing. The food price is a little more but you don't have to leave a tip so it evens out. My second major while I was at the University was food...

SonOfFireater

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 17, 2009
If any of you remember The Globe in downtown Northport, the Chef now works at Cafe Venice and I believe they are incorporating some of the old menu there. I used to work for Jeff and though I live in New York now, would kill to go back and have some of the Old Globe food.:BigA::biggrin::BigA:

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Great info on the Cedar House restaurant. I ate there last night and the place was packed and the food was great. The prices are very reasonable and the service was great too. I should have asked last night when I was there, but, BamaRich, what are their hours? What was your favorite thing on the menu? I may stop by again on the way up to the lake tonight!

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Don't know on the breakfast/lunch hours, but supper is 5-9. Me and my wife had grilled tilapia & meatloaf w/ three veggies apiece & homemade bread... they were putting the sign up this morning when I drove by.

AT... have eaten at Maggies, but I sometimes worry about my vehicle's safety when I visit. :) Don't know about KSV.

SOF... forgot to mention on the original thread that the Globe is now closed. Got to eat there the last week they were in business earlier in the year.

RamJamHam

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
Especially for those of you coming from southeast AL on Highway 69, do yourself a favor and stop in at Bama Smokehouse. It looks like it's an old gas station, and it is right next to one, but his ribs and smoked wings are consistently the best I have found in Tuscaloosa. You might call if you want to go by on Saturday, because most of the time he is so backed up on game day that he cannot serve sit-down customers.

Not to self-promote, but since the door is open, I'll say something about WIntzells since its my restaurant haha ;)

Decorated in the famous signage that we are known for in Mobile stores..A Gulf Coast Tradition since 1938

Best happy hour in town if you get in to town on friday

$1 draft beer
$2 well drinks
$3 glasses of Yellow Tail Chardonnay and Merlot
$4.50 dozen raw oysters

Anyone up for Fresh Gulf seafood, we get our product in 3 times a week, so everything is as fresh as you can get it on the coast.

My recommendations would be the Grilled Mahi Mahi with Lemon Butter sauce or the Bacon - Wrapped shrimp ...

This has been a public service announcement from the OysterMan :biggrin:

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Manasco`s steakhouse off of highway 69 North is about 30 miles from Bryant Denny if your coming into TTown from the northwest. It`s definately worth the stop.

Rueben

All-American
Sep 5, 2008
NAHTOD
I concurr about the Original Dreamland V/S any of the others. Does not matter if it's Mobile, ATl, B'Ham...none compare It's either Jug Factory Rd. or not at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.