RIP Ron Franklin

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bama Addiction

3rd Team
Mar 29, 2004
Rincon, GA
I met Ron at Bruno's supermarket before the Bama / GA game in 94. I heard his distinctive voice from two aisles over and I had to go introduce myself. He was super nice and cordial in our brief exchange. He and Gottfried were the best duo going during that time period. RIP Ron

Reactions: UAH

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
The reporter who got him cancelled is feigning contrition too.

I also think he was one of the best on-air., but if he said the two things he is alleged to have said to her:
  1. He deserved to be fired
  2. I don’t know that she got him cancelled. She objected to his alleged bullying, which led (probably with the history of the on-air Holly Rowe incident not too distant) to his firing
  3. There’s nothing wrong, and a lot right, with her tweet assuming it’s sincere

Reactions: PaulD and GboyBama

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
It had to be more than just calling her sweet baby back in the 90's. Heck as thin skinned as people are these days you can even look sideways at anyone with out getting accused of something .

Reactions: Countrytider2

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It had to be more than just calling her sweet baby back in the 90's. Heck as thin skinned as people are these days you can even look sideways at anyone with out getting accused of something .
Franklin like many other males employed in the sports industry didn't have much respect for women being in what had predominantly been a male employed sport. It obviously came out in the working relationship with Rowe.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
I lived out of state during the era of the Saturday night games with Franklin and Gottfried. Those games were the highlight of the week for me. Franklin was the best PBP announcer on college football ever - IMO.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Ron Franklin was an excellent sports anchor on Houston’s KPRC TV (NBC) in the 1980’s. Two other Houston sports anchors were pretty good also, KTRK (ABC) Bob Allen, and KHOU (CBS) Dan Patrick, the current Lieutenant Governor of Texas. During those years you tried to watch all three to keep up with what was going on in the world of sports. However, Ron was one of my favorite PBP announcers.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One of the nicest guys I've ever met. He and my wife were a couple in HS and, at a class reunion, he came looking for her. (He certainly wasn't looking for me.) :) Very gracious in person...
I was pretty sure I recalled you saying - years ago - that your wife dated Ron Franklin. Of the three who used to do the reporting - Franklin, Adrian Karsten, and Gottfried - only the last one is still with us.

Time is indeed marching by.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Didn’t know Karsten had died. What a sad story.
Oh yeah, it didn't get big play largely because Hurricane Katrina was (pardon the pun) blowing the rest of the news into the small print section. (That - and Rehnquist died).

Even on ESPN and the other news outlets, it was a small blurb. I almost didn't click on it - when I did, it was complete and total shock.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I remember him and thought he did a good job. Don’t think I ever really noticed he was gone until his name crossed my mind when Franklin died.

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
I know I am showing my age, but, I believe I remember games called by Chris Schenkel (spelling?) and Bud Wilkinson. As part of the pre-game, Bud would demonstrate certain formations and plays on the field with players. It was pretty cool.
I did like Franklin and Gottfried, though!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know I am showing my age, but, I believe I remember games called by Chris Schenkel (spelling?) and Bud Wilkinson. As part of the pre-game, Bud would demonstrate certain formations and plays on the field with players. It was pretty cool.
I did like Franklin and Gottfried, though!
Schenkel got fired because he was dull as dishwater. If anyone has seen those old games, imagine Bill Belichick as a play-by-play announcer. Now tbf - I LIKE what I've seen of Schenkel, but Roone Arledge wanted a sorta Howard Cosell-type hype master on the CFB package and he picked a good 'un in Keith Jackson.

Schenkel later said the one thing he'd give Arledge credit for was being a stand-up guy - Arledge took him to dinner and fired him, but as Schenkel said, "At least he was man enough to do it face to face."

Reactions: UAH and FaninLA

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh yeah, it didn't get big play largely because Hurricane Katrina was (pardon the pun) blowing the rest of the news into the small print section. (That - and Rehnquist died).

Even on ESPN and the other news outlets, it was a small blurb. I almost didn't click on it - when I did, it was complete and total shock.
FWIW, from 1991 to date, inflation has about doubled. IOW, it would be like evading taxes on 1.2 million today...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.