Rose Bowl given til Wednesday to make decision on their role in a 12 team playoff.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Rose Bowl is like the Washington Redskins Football Team Commanders.

They think they're still elite because they were important 30 years ago.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Drop em ! It will save the playoff teams and fans a fortune in travel and hotel cost to attend a crappy venue... Just saying !

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I’m with the drop them crowd. They’re obstinate demeanor is going to get them eliminated altogether. It’s like they don’t think college football will survive without them. They need to reverse that thought. The stadium is also a dump. Plenty of new facilities would be glad to take their spot!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The Rose Bowl is getting a long-overdue ultimatum:

“We’re done with your prima donna act….it adds no value and is really irritating.

You will be with us on our terms. Or you will be without us on your terms….your choice, but we need your answer quickly.

There will be no going back. So choose carefully.”

I love responses like this to unwarranted arrogance. And I kind of feel sorry for Laura Farber. I’m guessing she knows her position, and is doing the bidding of her BoD. They’re all getting dope-slapped, and the world is watching in real time.

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
In all honesty, do you really care where the games are played? I understand if you are attending because travel, stadium experience, etc are factors. But if I am watching on TV, it really doesn't matter if it is at Jerry World, Mercedes-Benz, or the Superdome. It could be at Legion Field for all I care. The game itself is going to be the same no matter where it is played.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In all honesty, do you really care where the games are played? I understand if you are attending because travel, stadium experience, etc are factors. But if I am watching on TV, it really doesn't matter if it is at Jerry World, Mercedes-Benz, or the Superdome. It could be at Legion Field for all I care. The game itself is going to be the same no matter where it is played.
I think the general attitude here (which I share) is less about where the game is played and more about the Rose Bowl Committee's attitude that the RB is still relevant. It's not. Literally no one cares about the outcome anymore, except for participating schools. But they continue to act like we're stuck in the 1930's.

No one care about the RB except the teams participating. And winning it is no different than winning any other mid-level bowl game.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the general attitude here (which I share) is less about where the game is played and more about the Rose Bowl Committee's attitude that the RB is still relevant. It's not. Literally no one cares about the outcome anymore, except for participating schools. But they continue to act like we're stuck in the 1930's.

No one care about the RB except the teams participating. And winning it is no different than winning any other mid-level bowl game.
I agree. Just saying I don't care where it is actually played. The Rose Bowl itself has always been a big bore to me.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The problem is that the BCS and the CFP more or less saved the Rose Bowl but has far and away kissed their posteriors while doing so. I mean the Rose bowl got one of the greatest games ever played between Texas and USC but they complained about it not being New Year’s Day and it being a night game so the very next year we get a needless extra bowl game. There has also been Atleast two times where teams only get 6 days to prepare for a national championship because the Rose bowl was a semifinal.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The Rose Bowl is the fax machine of bowl games, it hasn't been relevant in decades.

My hatred of the Rose Bowl, like so many things I despise in my life, goes back to the early 80s. It was as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

1) Big 10 team gets hyped to the moon as a great team.
2) Media spends entire CFB season boosting Big 10 team.
3) Big 10 team gets exposed as complete fraud by unknown Pac 10 team in Rose Bowl, usually unknown because of East Coast coverage bias.

The Pac 8/10 beat the B1G SEVENTEEN TIMES in 20 years.

And several of those games weren't close.

And yet we'd get it all again year after year after year.

The B1G would send Bo or Ohio St almost every year with the occasional Iowa breakthrough, the press would treat them like royalty - and they'd get clobbered by, well, anybody. They lost when it was USC, they lost when it was UCLA, they lost when it was Washington, they lost when it was Stanford.

THEY LOST WHEN IT WAS ARIZONA STATE!!!!

===================

The other issue that didn't set well with me was when Michigan lost to Sparty in 1993 - and got on the bus looking like you'd stolen their child. The reason? "Well, losing to Notre Dame didn't bother them because they could (wait for it) STILL GO TO THE ROSE BOWL!!!"

I'm sorry, I'm a victim of a public school education - and I did live in the Midwest one year - but how in the world "Notre Dame beats us, who cares, just so long as we make the Rose Bowl" is being anything but a pathetic loser is beyond me.

In 1992 - the night we tried to give Miss St the game but they wouldn't take it - Beano Cook and Lee Corso got into it on what passed for Game Day back then. #3 Michigan, their only blemish a tie with Notre Dame in the opener, PLAYED FOR A TIE against 5-4 Illinois.

WHY you ask? Corso, the former Big Ten coach, said Gary Moeller made the right decision because "if you are from the Big 10, the Rose Bowl is your goal." Beano Cook unloaded on him with two putdowns, the first saying "I could understand playing for a tie if you're Indiana (Corso's team) and don't go very often but THIS IS MICHIGAN!" He then capped it off with, "That's why the Big Ten is a mediocre conference, they think the Rose Bowl is the Holy Grail."

See, I "get" the Big Ten front offices wanting it - because it paid more than any other game.
I "get" the game wanting those Big Ten teams, because they tend to have the largest enrollments and alumni widespread.

But then I sat down and noticed when I looked at old Rose Bowl results: "wow, Alabama was 4-1-1, Tech won it, Georgia won it - and all of a sudden they STOPPED inviting SEC teams to the game!"

No, it wasn't THAT simple, and I get TV changed everything, too.

But the Rose Bowl is why we couldn't have a playoff 40 years ago, 50 years ago, 60 years ago.
Even once we had the BCS, they were the aging Mafia don calling the shots.

You know what happens to aging Mafia dons?
They die.

The Rose Bowl could vanish tomorrow - and nobody would miss it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The Rose Bowl is the fax machine of bowl games, it hasn't been relevant in decades.

My hatred of the Rose Bowl, like so many things I despise in my life, goes back to the early 80s. It was as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

1) Big 10 team gets hyped to the moon as a great team.
2) Media spends entire CFB season boosting Big 10 team.
3) Big 10 team gets exposed as complete fraud by unknown Pac 10 team in Rose Bowl, usually unknown because of East Coast coverage bias.

The Pac 8/10 beat the B1G SEVENTEEN TIMES in 20 years.

And several of those games weren't close.

And yet we'd get it all again year after year after year.

The B1G would send Bo or Ohio St almost every year with the occasional Iowa breakthrough, the press would treat them like royalty - and they'd get clobbered by, well, anybody. They lost when it was USC, they lost when it was UCLA, they lost when it was Washington, they lost when it was Stanford.

THEY LOST WHEN IT WAS ARIZONA STATE!!!!

===================

The other issue that didn't set well with me was when Michigan lost to Sparty in 1993 - and got on the bus looking like you'd stolen their child. The reason? "Well, losing to Notre Dame didn't bother them because they could (wait for it) STILL GO TO THE ROSE BOWL!!!"

I'm sorry, I'm a victim of a public school education - and I did live in the Midwest one year - but how in the world "Notre Dame beats us, who cares, just so long as we make the Rose Bowl" is being anything but a pathetic loser is beyond me.

In 1992 - the night we tried to give Miss St the game but they wouldn't take it - Beano Cook and Lee Corso got into it on what passed for Game Day back then. #3 Michigan, their only blemish a tie with Notre Dame in the opener, PLAYED FOR A TIE against 5-4 Illinois.

WHY you ask? Corso, the former Big Ten coach, said Gary Moeller made the right decision because "if you are from the Big 10, the Rose Bowl is your goal." Beano Cook unloaded on him with two putdowns, the first saying "I could understand playing for a tie if you're Indiana (Corso's team) and don't go very often but THIS IS MICHIGAN!" He then capped it off with, "That's why the Big Ten is a mediocre conference, they think the Rose Bowl is the Holy Grail."

See, I "get" the Big Ten front offices wanting it - because it paid more than any other game.
I "get" the game wanting those Big Ten teams, because they tend to have the largest enrollments and alumni widespread.

But then I sat down and noticed when I looked at old Rose Bowl results: "wow, Alabama was 4-1-1, Tech won it, Georgia won it - and all of a sudden they STOPPED inviting SEC teams to the game!"

No, it wasn't THAT simple, and I get TV changed everything, too.

But the Rose Bowl is why we couldn't have a playoff 40 years ago, 50 years ago, 60 years ago.
Even once we had the BCS, they were the aging Mafia don calling the shots.

You know what happens to aging Mafia dons?
They die.

The Rose Bowl could vanish tomorrow - and nobody would miss it.
Someone needs to send them a fax and let them know they are about to be canned.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It looks like I'm in the extreme minority, but I, too, love the Rose Bowl.

The stadium is iconic, and it is in an unsurpassed setting. The weather is always good even though it's in early January. It may need an upgrade, but when I was there in 2010, I had no issue with the stadium at all. And where else do you get to park on a golf course.

The Rose Parade is a big deal for locals and for the local economy. It's a New Year's Day tradition in my family to watch the Rose Parade.

As for "no one cares about the Rose Bowl," this is just not true. I've watched every Rose Bowl since the mid-60's. Every one. It's like the Super Bowl in that I watch whether or not I like the teams.

The Rose Bowl is in our fight song.

I'll agree the Rose Bowl is just another bowl now, but it will always be special to me. I hope they work things out today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.