Rose Bowl given til Wednesday to make decision on their role in a 12 team playoff.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It looks like I'm in the extreme minority, but I, too, love the Rose Bowl.

The stadium is iconic, and it is in an unsurpassed setting. The weather is always good even though it's in early January. It may need an upgrade, but when I was there in 2010, I had no issue with the stadium at all. And where else do you get to park on a golf course.

The Rose Parade is a big deal for locals and for the local economy. It's a New Year's Day tradition in my family to watch the Rose Parade.

As for "no one cares about the Rose Bowl," this is just not true. I've watched every Rose Bowl since the mid-60's. Every one. It's like the Super Bowl in that I watch whether or not I like the teams.

The Rose Bowl is in our fight song.

I'll agree the Rose Bowl is just another bowl now, but it will always be special to me. I hope they work things out today.
Let's do the math:
1) I hate Los Angeles
2) I hate parades (my son loves them - what fun!)
3) The Rose Bowl needs removed from our fight song

But I don't criticize someone else just because their opinion is wrong.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Let's do the math:
1) I hate Los Angeles
2) I hate parades (my son loves them - what fun!)
3) The Rose Bowl needs removed from our fight song. (Last time I was at the Rose Bowl stadium was to see Alabama play UCLA in I think 2001. I enjoyed walking around the stadium reflecting on the past. During the game a guy and his girlfriend, sitting in front of me, got into an argument and I ended up with Coca Cola all over me. I have greatly DISLIKED UCLA since that loss.)

But I don't criticize someone else just because their opinion is wrong.

Let me see your new released version of "Yea Alabama" without reference to the Rose Bowl. I have always loved that song.

"Yea, Alabama!"

Yea, Alabama! Drown 'em Tide!
Every 'Bama man's behind you;
Hit your stride!
Go teach the Bulldogs to behave, (Why didn't we do this last year in the Championship Game?)
Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave! (I guess we have already sent them to a watery GRAVE.)
And if a man starts to weaken,
That's a shame!
For 'Bama's pluck and grit
Have writ her name in Crimson flame!
Fight on, fight on, fight on, men!
Remember the Rose Bowl we'll win then! (In your version, what will WE remember? Beating API, i.e. The Barn)
Go, roll to victory,
Hit your stride,
You're Dixie's football pride, Crimson Tide!

I guess we could insert IRON BOWL in place of Rose Bowl.
source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/fightsongslyrics/alabamayeafightsonglyrics.html

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Let me see your new released version of "Yea Alabama" without reference to the Rose Bowl. I have always loved that song.

"Yea, Alabama!"

Yea, Alabama! Drown 'em Tide!
Every 'Bama man's behind you;
Hit your stride!
Go teach the Bulldogs to behave, (Why didn't we do this last year in the Championship Game?)
Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave! (I guess we have already sent them to a watery GRAVE.)
And if a man starts to weaken,
That's a shame!
For 'Bama's pluck and grit
Have writ her name in Crimson flame!
Fight on, fight on, fight on, men!
Remember the Rose Bowl we'll win then! (In your version, what will WE remember? Beating API, i.e. The Barn)
Go, roll to victory,
Hit your stride,
You're Dixie's football pride, Crimson Tide!

I guess we could insert IRON BOWL in place of Rose Bowl.
source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/fightsongslyrics/alabamayeafightsonglyrics.html
We do not reference Auburn in any way in our fight song. It should stay that way.

As for the Rose Bowl, the problem is they are no longer "special" to the rest of the world. I get why any Big Ten fan would feel nostalgia, as well as Pac fans although I don't think there are many of those left in the wild. But the whole of college football has moved on. The Rose Bowl simply needs to as well or get left behind. If they want that 2:30 time slot on New Year's Day, fine, but they'll be going up against a playoff semi-final and if they want Big Ten/Pac 12-10 teams, they will have to settle for 7-5 Illinois against 8-4 Arizona.

Hey Arizona has never gone to a Rose Bowl. Maybe this way they can.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

The stadium is iconic, and it is in an unsurpassed setting. The weather is always good even though it's in early January. It may need an upgrade, but when I was there in 2010, I had no issue with the stadium at all. And where else do you get to park on a golf course.

The Rose Parade is a big deal for locals and for the local economy. It's a New Year's Day tradition in my family to watch the Rose Parade.

As for "no one cares about the Rose Bowl," this is just not true. I've watched every Rose Bowl since the mid-60's. Every one. It's like the Super Bowl in that I watch whether or not I like the teams.

I'll agree the Rose Bowl is just another bowl now, but it will always be special to me. I hope they work things out today.
I watch it every year because of the scenery too. I think it is just beautiful. Plus, I don't have a real interest in the teams most of the time so there is not stress in watching the games. They are usually two teams I never watch during the year, so it is cool seeing the helmets meet.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I watch it every year because of the scenery too. I think it is just beautiful. Plus, I don't have a real interest in the teams most of the time so there is not stress in watching the games. They are usually two teams I never watch during the year, so it is cool seeing the helmets meet.
They do have the most beautiful field/paint scheme.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

the stadium itself is a dump though.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
An old soul speaking here but man I loved growing up when on January 1st it must see TV for all those games. Cotton was first, Sugar was second, Rose was third, and Orange capped off the day. Great football. Great memories. RTR

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
An old soul speaking here but man I loved growing up when on January 1st it must see TV for all those games. Cotton was first, Sugar was second, Rose was third, and Orange capped off the day. Great football. Great memories. RTR
Yeah. When they added the Fiesta Bowl it screwed up everything. We had only one TV (black and white) and no remote.

My job was to sit next to tv and have my father yell at me “Flip to channel 6. Flip back to channel 13. Flip over to UHF 42….”

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.