Roster Management for 24-25

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
It'll be fine. I'm not that worried. Someone reported that boosters supposedly ponied up more NIL money to get Oats to stay, so if this is true, and we didn't match Griffen's offer, then we must have a plan for the extra budget. Maybe it involves keeping Sears and Nelson here for another year. In any case, I think the chances are slim that we start the season without all of Wrightsell, Nelson, Griffen, Sears. If I had next year circled as a National Championship year, then you know Oats had at least considered the possibility. He's not going to let them all walk. I think we ultimately keep 2 of those, and I'm hopeful that Griffen leaving will encourage some of the others to stick around, because now there's minutes up for grabs. Whatever happens, Coach Oats is a master at the portal, and we have a top notch recruiting class coming in. We're gonna be okay.

BamaHoopsBoi

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 7, 2023
Trying to read the writing on the wall here but maybe we are trying to save some NIL money in order to keep Nelson and Sears one more year. Letting Griffen walk had to save us a pretty large sum. On top of KP and DC leaving also (obviously not as much NIL there). Wouldn't be surprised especially if we see a few other players hit the portal. Nelson and Sears take the majority of NIL I'd think. Then again, these situations are so volatile anything could happen this day and age.

Reactions: B1GTide

BamaBooey

Scout Team
Jan 29, 2020
Just think it would be good if we had at least six so that we can have consistency rather than trying to get nine players to gel over the season. I imagine that's a lot of strain for a coach over time (look at Cal via Kentucky); plus its never a guarantee for a good season in spite of how much talent is accumulated.

Reactions: smith5753

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Being reported that Nelson was quoted as saying he needed to talk to his agent and was hoping to come back to Bama, it's all about the Benjamin's, also he was not with the team Saturday when they honored them at A-Day, as was Griffen, bringing in these McDonald's all- Americans takes money
I think it all comes down to if they feel they can get a 1st round grade and get the guaranteed money. If not NIL probably a better option as a top returning player to a team that went to Final Four.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
Trying to read the writing on the wall here but maybe we are trying to save some NIL money in order to keep Nelson and Sears one more year. Letting Griffen walk had to save us a pretty large sum. On top of KP and DC leaving also (obviously not as much NIL there). Wouldn't be surprised especially if we see a few other players hit the portal. Nelson and Sears take the majority of NIL I'd think. Then again, these situations are so volatile anything could happen this day and age.
Would CNOs rather keep Nelson over Griffen? I know Nelson played better in the tournament v season. If he could be more of an offensive threat I could see it but Griffen has shown he is developing and has gotten better. I guess just curious as to who everyone thinks if having to pick which they think is more of a necessity.

Reactions: BamaHoopsBoi

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
It's more of a pick your poison type of thing. Griffen has the potential to eventually be Brandon Miller 2.0, but Nelson can be a beast also. I wish we could just have both, but it doesn't sound like Griffen will be changing his mind

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's more of a pick your poison type of thing. Griffen has the potential to eventually be Brandon Miller 2.0, but Nelson can be a beast also. I wish we could just have both, but it doesn't sound like Griffen will be changing his mind
I don't see Griffen with BM's potential. First, there's 3 or 4 inches difference in them. And while Griffen is a good shooter, BM was elite. And BM's ability to isolate and go one on one and then get to the rim is ALOT better than RG. JMO.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I don't see Griffen with BM's potential. First, there's 3 or 4 inches difference in them. And while Griffen is a good shooter, BM was elite. And BM's ability to isolate and go one on one and then get to the rim is ALOT better than RG. JMO.
There's a 1 inch difference. Griffen is 6'6, and Miller is 6'7. All the HS scouting reports say that Griffen has elite potential.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There's a 1 inch difference. Griffen is 6'6, and Miller is 6'7. All the scouting reports say that Griffen has elite potential.
I don't think that's correct. BTW, BM was elite as a freshman. RG was just a good player his freshman year. Better his soph. campaign.

Don't get me wrong. I think RG is very good now, but I just dont' think he compares to BM in many ways other than they might be seen as #3 guards. But their skill sets are different.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I don't think that's correct. BTW, BM was elite as a freshman. RG wsa just a good player.

I'm not talking about as a freshman. Brandon Miller was 20 years old. I'm just thinking by senior year, he can be at that level. His scouting report was literally "he can be as good as he wants at the game of basketball". So the sky is the limit for him. The hope for me was that he might be there by senior year, and we'd win a natty. It's all good, though. I think we'll win one without him.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Griffen has not been a good ball handler or passer. He really came along as a defender and outside shooter. I sometimes forget that many players are not super-stars immediately out of high school and develop through their college career. Griffen just completed his sophomore season so he may have noticeable improvement for a couple of more seasons.

Maybe (wishful thinking) the two current players slated to transfer in are better overall players. I have not seen them play. They both have slightly higher three-point percentages. Mallette is about the same size; Youngblood is not listed as tall but has more weight.

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaHoopsBoi

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 7, 2023
Would CNOs rather keep Nelson over Griffen? I know Nelson played better in the tournament v season. If he could be more of an offensive threat I could see it but Griffen has shown he is developing and has gotten better. I guess just curious as to who everyone thinks if having to pick which they think is more of a necessity.
I'd like to think that CNO would like to keep Nelson over Griffen. I also feel that Griffen does not have the same potential as BM, as others have stated. I really don't think that his ceiling is higher than Nelson's either. At the moment Rylan is a better defender but Nelson is much improved and has a much better frame than Rylan. I don't think we see the shooting inconsistency from Nelson again if he goes for another year. Lot of that was the step up in competition and his confidence catching up to that late in the season imo. Nelson is just a better overall scorer and has the potential to be a better defender next year.

Rylan is a great player don't misunderstand me but I think he's much more replaceable than Nelson on both ends of the floor. Pretty sure that Nelson also earned more blue collar points over the course of the year than Griffen.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It'll be fine. I'm not that worried. Someone reported that boosters supposedly ponied up more NIL money to get Oats to stay, so if this is true, and we didn't match Griffen's offer, then we must have a plan for the extra budget. Maybe it involves keeping Sears and Nelson here for another year. In any case, I think the chances are slim that we start the season without all of Wrightsell, Nelson, Griffen, Sears. If I had next year circled as a National Championship year, then you know Oats had at least considered the possibility. He's not going to let them all walk. I think we ultimately keep 2 of those, and I'm hopeful that Griffen leaving will encourage some of the others to stick around, because now there's minutes up for grabs. Whatever happens, Coach Oats is a master at the portal, and we have a top notch recruiting class coming in. We're gonna be okay.
Heard NIL doubled. Good post and agreed.

Latest threads