Roster Management for 24-25

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
To be fair, pretty sure they had BM listed as 6'9" at Bama. He's definitely not though.
He was recorded at 6”8 and 3/4 at the draft measurements. Not sure if that includes the high hair or not. lol. He also has a 7 ft wingspan which gives him more advantage. He also was 3rd in the vertical leap for the draft class so I agree his measurements are much higher than Griffin can ever get too. Miller is Paul George like where Griffin seems more like an Issac Okorro type

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
I said couple months ago predicting the roster for next year was pretty much worthless as that is not where college sports is anymore. You used to have to worry about the depth pieces staying because they want more playing time and you still do but now you also have to worry about the middle level guys leaving for more money. It is going to be a balancing act because you have to worry about playing time and you also don’t have infinite nil money. We have seen the one and done era with guys coming and going for the draft now it is gonna be 1 or 2 years and transfer in college sports. I won’t be surprised if another freshman from last year leaves as well. The key now will be how well you can gel your team in that one 8 month period from June to March.

In pro sports you have a coach and he worries about the players on the field. Then the general manager and scouts makes the decisions of who is on the roster and the finances. We are headed that way in college ball. Your coach can’t try to prepare for gameplans, hold practices, coach at games, recruit high school kids, keep up with possible transfers, and keep track of money offers other teams maybe making to your current players. There is reasons why some guys are leaving as they saw the writing on the wall and not something they wanted. The Coach K, Jay Wright, Coach for Syracuse, in girls game the Stanford coach and I expect more very soon as they are coaches and not interested in all this other stuff.

Last edited:

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I was really high on him coming out and honestly I don’t think his ceiling is that high. He doesn’t have great strength and size and his athleticism is not that great. He has a nice shot and quick release with good size but not sure he is a guy that can create on his own.
Tend to agree. His defense leaves a lot to be desired as well. Nice kid, and can be a force when he's hot from 3, but my guess is Oats doesn't see him as a starter and he wants to break into a starting 5 someplace.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Someone on X said these portal moves aren’t being triggered by the players. Made it sound like Oats is making space for a bunch of new talent. I think he’s gearing up for a NC run. And all who have left have glaring weaknesses. Primarily defense, ball handling, and weak at the rim. I think he’s looking for lethal players who play strong.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Tend to agree. His defense leaves a lot to be desired as well. Nice kid, and can be a force when he's hot from 3, but my guess is Oats doesn't see him as a starter and he wants to break into a starting 5 someplace.
Someone on X said these portal moves aren’t being triggered by the players. Made it sound like Oats is making space for a bunch of new talent. I think he’s gearing up for a NC run. And all who have left have glaring weaknesses. Primarily defense, ball handling, and weak at the rim. I think he’s looking for lethal players who play strong.
Something like this crossed my mind, especially with Walters. I picture Walters as a player that will develop over time including gaining some explosiveness and strength which can improve quickness. He drove to the basket a few times and finished some and needed to use a little more power on others. He was just a freshman this past season.

The overall quality of players on the team this upcoming season may end up higher than this past season with upgrades coming in the portal and the incoming freshmen. I'd like to see some guys make it all the way through the program to their senior season but the portal plus NIL really makes things crazy. I'd probably be better off ignoring the roster until it is final but just can't; I will maintain my trust in Coach Oats.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Wow! Then that is great news!

Thanks, Cajun!!:D

Reactions: Con and Tide-one-on

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
I would hope he is honest with the players and as has been mentioned Walters has some limitations in his game so I would think CNO told him that his minutes wouldn’t be much different and also that he wasn’t going to get a big Nil deal so Walters had a choice to stay and get 8-12 minutes a game or go look for a better deal. As nice as the Final four was this was still the worst defenses that we have had under CNO so that needs improvement.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I think you are right, I heard a talking head on Bama radio who is pretty much in the know that coach said he would not recruit anyone if they couldn't play D

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Jaden Bradley could play D but couldnt shoot. Oats is looking for complete players. I suspect us going to the FF with that team probably opened interest from some players that probably werent considering us before...

Guys like RG and SW would be better off committing 3 years to a program to get better then test the market as a senior. They will be valuable as seniors.

I think you are right, I heard a talking head on Bama radio who is pretty much in the know that coach said he would not recruit anyone if they couldn't play D

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
JayBama, I'd like him to stay, too. But I also think Sam got exposed as the season went on -- even if he made a couple of really big shots in the tournament. His ceiling seemed to get lower.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was really high on him coming out and honestly I don’t think his ceiling is that high. He doesn’t have great strength and size and his athleticism is not that great. He has a nice shot and quick release with good size but not sure he is a guy that can create on his own.
Agreed it was uncertain, but I heard someone describe him as a "baby giraffe" and I thought it was a good metaphor.

His size and shooting are hard to recruit and if his body strengthened and he got tougher on D he could be incredible.

BUT, if the post above is true and CNO is triggering these moves that can ONLY mean he's getting feedback from possible portal players that he is looking to have instant and impactful new players that he sees as more competent and complete players next year VS. project guys like Griffen and Walters.

It's just a shame we can't have both, but maybe CNO is thinking he's got to hit the portal while Bama's hot and he can build a one-hit wonder for next year!

Seeing what he did with this year's group (where the sum was greater than the parts) I have all the confidence in the world he can do it if he gets more dynamic parts!

BamaHoopsBoi

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 7, 2023
Happy National Portal Day!

I have a lot of confidence in Nate Oats and how he's about to work the portal here in the next few weeks. Let's see if he will put another FF team together.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
if all these guys hitting the portal end up at a big time basketball school and when a title, then I will be upset. My prediction is I will not be upset
Every NC team will have a Sam Walters/Rylan Griffen type player.

Shoot, Jayden Bradley played on one of the best teams in America last year and he couldn't stay on the court for us all the time the year before. He improved some but he was never going to be elite.

So Sam or Rylan could very well end up on the NC team, but they won't be the star of that team IMO.

I like 'em both and wish they could stay, but if CNO can get an elite trade for both of them, in this new world, that's the game.

FWIW, I wish 'em well and hope they succeed unless they land on a team we play next year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So, I'm wondering when the shoe drops on some other players???

I expect to hear news about Wague and Pringle at some point if CNO is emptying the chamber for better bullets.

Latest threads