Roster Management

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Interview with Petty. Still waiting on a decision. Says he’s participated in some practice and pickup games. However, his phrasing seems to confirm the going belief that he really wants to go. “We talk a lot,” Petty said. “I’ve basically just been trying to stay in fine tune with the team, making sure I’m still one of the leaders on the team, making sure I’m still connected with everybody because you never know. I might have to come back to school, and I might have to play with them next year. So, I’m acting as if I’m coming back next year.”

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Interview with Petty. Still waiting on a decision. Says he’s participated in some practice and pickup games. However, his phrasing seems to confirm the going belief that he really wants to go. “We talk a lot,” Petty said. “I’ve basically just been trying to stay in fine tune with the team, making sure I’m still one of the leaders on the team, making sure I’m still connected with everybody because you never know. I might have to come back to school, and I might have to play with them next year. So, I’m acting as if I’m coming back next year.”

In other words, I don't want to come back, but will if it's my only option. That doesn't sound like a healthy situation for the team.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
It's only unhealthy if he doesn't buy in. He has the ability to raise his stock if he does come back and honestly he can only do that is by being a team player. He will be successful by showing he gas grown in his skillsets and also playing the role the team needs him to. He wont need to be a superstar, he just needs to leave it all on the court like Herb did last year. For whatever reason, I'm thinking that's going to be the standard of play for the whole team next season

The flip side is we've seen the challenge of On a side note, we've seen the challenge of players looking ahead too much and not focusing on the season at hand so I understand the concern about it possibly not being healthy for the team. Heres hoping he can go pro just because that's what he desires.

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Talking with someone with excellent connections inside the program, Petty wants to return. His daughter is the hold up. If he does not make an NBA roster, is he better served playing his Sr year OR is he better off playing in the D-League or oversees and then try to get a contract next season?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
If the team is working out together, is Petty amongst them? :unsure:
Good question ... the article isn't clear but it seems like he's done some workouts with the team:

The players committed to play the 2020-21 campaign are currently participating in voluntary workouts, and Petty has participated in Zoom meetings, as well as some workouts and pickup basketball games, he said in case he ultimately returns to Alabama for his senior year.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
If he doesnt come back is there another prospect?
I could be mistaken but with Petty on the team I think we have 14 players on scholarship. So one over with him if he does indeed come back I would think we could possibly see another transfer to get the numbers correct or being dealt with in another way I guess.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I could be mistaken but with Petty on the team I think we have 14 players on scholarship. So one over with him if he does indeed come back I would think we could possibly see another transfer to get the numbers correct or being dealt with in another way I guess.
If Petty comes back, our numbers are good because of the transfer of Davis.

Reactions: Blindside17

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I am excited about the season and I think they will play this season. It may be in empty gyms, but I think they will do everything they can to play this season. Petty is the wild card and whether he comes back or not, I think we'll be better. All this optimism must be tempered a little though. We may have talent, but unless we can do what UK does with their kids, we be extremely young. We'll have Quinerly at the point and 2 guard with Primo spelling him or swapping at the 2. Herb should be at the 2 guard some and at the 3 which is more his natural position. We have Shack who should be the starting 2 guard for sure. He is just to good of a scorer. Juwan Gary should be at the 3 or may get some time at the 4 spot. One of the new comers will most likely have to fill in at the 5 spot. The transfer from Yale Bruner, and Rojas will probably be the guys at center with Reese there some as well, but he is more suited to a stretch 4. Also the kid who reclassified Tchikou (Frenchie) figures to get some time there and at the 4. We have a lot of interchangeable pieces in terms of talent which means just about anyone could play anywhere. We have big who can shoot 3'd and guards who can drive and dunk. I alos expect this roster is still a work in progress and wouldn't be surprised if more changes happen between now and the beginning of the season.

The team will look completely different and it'll sure be fun to watch them play.

Reactions: dayhiker

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I am excited about the season and I think they will play this season. It may be in empty gyms, but I think they will do everything they can to play this season. Petty is the wild card and whether he comes back or not, I think we'll be better. All this optimism must be tempered a little though. We may have talent, but unless we can do what UK does with their kids, we be extremely young. We'll have Quinerly at the point and 2 guard with Primo spelling him or swapping at the 2. Herb should be at the 2 guard some and at the 3 which is more his natural position. We have Shack who should be the starting 2 guard for sure. He is just to good of a scorer. Juwan Gary should be at the 3 or may get some time at the 4 spot. One of the new comers will most likely have to fill in at the 5 spot. The transfer from Yale Bruner, and Rojas will probably be the guys at center with Reese there some as well, but he is more suited to a stretch 4. Also the kid who reclassified Tchikou (Frenchie) figures to get some time there and at the 4. We have a lot of interchangeable pieces in terms of talent which means just about anyone could play anywhere. We have big who can shoot 3'd and guards who can drive and dunk. I alos expect this roster is still a work in progress and wouldn't be surprised if more changes happen between now and the beginning of the season.

The team will look completely different and it'll sure be fun to watch them play.
I agree with a lot of what your wrote except for this. At this point I believe the roster is pretty much set. The only unknown is if Petty is coming back or not. Even if he doesn't then I don't think we would fill his spot unless Davis decided not to withdraw his name from the portal.

Reactions: TiderJack

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
if everyone buys in ... this will quite possibly be a 10-11 player rotation which bodes very well and fits into CNOs time management strategy. Its easier to win both the first and last 5 minutes of any half if you are playing with fresh players that have complimentary talent. Think of it as a starting 5 to get the lead at the beginning of the game and the rotational 5 to keep or even stretch the lead. Most successful programs end up having at least 2-3 solid players off the bench ... imagine if we can develop 4-5 that come off the bench. On paper it looks like we may have the talent to possibly do just that. But again, they have to buy in and work together as a team to do just that. Here's hoping they do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.