Roster Management

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Here is an interesting and telling quote from CNO about next years roster which indicates some players will probably be encouraged to move on to somewhere else:

"As we start to get some commits, we'll have those conversations, and they may be a little bit harder conversations as they see different guys committing to us."

Link

I think this is the right move that a good coach has to do. We had players on this years team that were just not cut out for CNO's system and it doesn't them or us any good for them to stick around.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Here is an interesting and telling quote from CNO about next years roster which indicates some players will probably be encouraged to move on to somewhere else:

"As we start to get some commits, we'll have those conversations, and they may be a little bit harder conversations as they see different guys committing to us."

Link

I think this is the right move that a good coach has to do. We had players on this years team that were just not cut out for CNO's system and it doesn't them or us any good for them to stick around.
We absolutely have the right coach to elevate us to the next level! :cool:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Here is next years roster at the moment:
  1. F/C - Galin Smith (Sr) (In the transfer portal)
  2. F - Alex Reese (Sr)
  3. F - Herb Jones (Sr) (Declared for the draft but did not retain an agent so probably will return to the team)
  4. G/F - John Petty (Sr) (Declared for the draft and although it is not certain, seems to be expected that he will not return)
  5. F - James Rojas (RJr - DNP)
  6. PG - Kira Lewis (Jr) (Declared for the draft and it is generally believed that he will not be back)
  7. PG - Jahvon Quinerly (RSo - DNP)
  8. SG - Jaden Shackelford (So)
  9. SG - Jaylen Forbes (So - In the transfer portal)
  10. F/C - Javian Davis (RSo)
  11. F - Juwan Gary (RFr - DNP)
  12. C - Raymond Hawkins (RFr - DNP - In the transfer portal)
  13. G/F Keon Ambrose (Fr)
  14. PG Josh Primo (Fr)
  15. CG Keon Ellis (Jr) (JUCO transfer)
  16. SF Darius Miles (Fr)
  17. F/C Jordan Bruner (Sr) (Grad transfer from Yale)
  18. F/C Alex Tchikou (Fr)
If we sign 3-4 more players then depending on what happens with Kira and Petty here is the list of tough conversations, in order, that I think CNO would have:
  1. Galin Smith - Good kid but not a good fit for CNO's system
  2. Alex Reese - Also a good kid, decent fit but maybe does not work as hard as CNO would like.
  3. Javian Davis - Has more potential than Galin, hit a couple of 3's late in the season but I'm not convinced that he's a good fit for CNO's system.
Keon Ellis is a CG that seems to be likely that we may sign. Bruner would be a good fit although the competition for his signature will be tough.

UPDATE: Jaylen Forbes is in the transfer portal. If Kira and Petty both stay in the NBA draft and do not return to school then the roster could be set.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I just read that Herb Jones has also decided to test NBA draft process. Out of the three, Jones is the least likely to be drafted IMHO and has the most to gain by coming back for one more year. I think he could be a NBA draft pick next year if he continues to improve his offensive skill set.

Reactions: BamaMike05

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I think all 3 would improve their situations a ton by coming back. Kira would be the safest to go this season. I think the money he'd get would justify him leaving, even if it's early 2nd round. A lot of guys are ok with "just" making a couple of million per year. Herb and Petty IMO would be in danger of never getting a chance. Their strengths are not enough to overcome their weaknesses for the pro game right now. Of course you have overseas as well as G league which is a paycheck as well. Wish all 3 the best and hope they come out on top whatever they decide.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Off the three testing the waters, I think Petty is closest to NBA ready. He can shoot, rebound and his defense improved this year. Keira has the skill, but maybe not the body yet. 2nd round guys generally have no guarantees so he may or may not make a team. If he ends up in the g league, it is a tough climb. Jones I suspect is just getting feedback fromthenleague to see what he needs to work on to make it.

I disagree about Davis, I think he is a good fit here. I think we will see a vast improvement in his game. He has the shooting skill. He just needs to be more of an inside presence. I agree the others guys listed above should move on and transfer.

Reactions: bama579

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Off the three testing the waters, I think Petty is closest to NBA ready. He can shoot, rebound and his defense improved this year. Keira has the skill, but maybe not the body yet. 2nd round guys generally have no guarantees so he may or may not make a team. If he ends up in the g league, it is a tough climb. Jones I suspect is just getting feedback fromthenleague to see what he needs to work on to make it.

I disagree about Davis, I think he is a good fit here. I think we will see a vast improvement in his game. He has the shooting skill. He just needs to be more of an inside presence. I agree the others guys listed above should move on and transfer.
I believe we are looking to sign 3 more players, Singleton, Ellis, and Bruner. Three players have declared for the draft but I not all 3 will be drafted so there will have to be some roster movement to make room for 3 additional signees. I think Kira is gone, Petty is 50/50, and Jones will be back so in that scenario 1 and perhaps 2 current players will be asked to move on to make room for the signees But if Kira, Petty, and Herb all come back, then either we can't sign all 3 or we have to have 3 people to move on and that is why I listed Davis as the 3rd option. Otherwise I'm not sure who you would bump. I'm not suggesting Davis, or even Reese, are automatically gone, I'm just going through scenarios. I'm sure CNO has to have a list of players that are a priority and for certain scenarios that involves asking current players to move on.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I agree that Davis showed a great deal of improvement late. I doubt CNO nudges him out...

Reactions: TiderJack

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Conversely, could there be any movers-on of their own volition - style or motivation not meshing with what Oats is selling/establishing?

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Conversely, could there be any movers-on of their own volition - style or motivation not meshing with what Oats is selling/establishing?
CNO was on the JOX Roundtable on Friday. He said that he told the guys that if they weren’t happy here; or if they felt like the style of play didn’t suit them, he would help them find a place out there. He said not one person took him up on that. He also said that things might change when they get a few more commitments.

• Thank You
Reactions: day-day

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
CNO was on the JOX Roundtable on Friday. He said that he told the guys that if they weren’t happy here; or if they felt like the style of play didn’t suit them, he would help them find a place out there. He said not one person took him up on that. He also said that things might change when they get a few more commitments.
Telling ... I think the guys know that this is a system that works and CNO is a coach that works as well. Going to be interesting to see how it all play out. All I know is Ambrose and Primo are huge gets.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I added Keon Ellis to the roster in the 14th slot even though there are only 13 scholarships available. I think it is almost certain that Kira will not be back next season so Keon will get his scholarship.

It is my understanding that we are on the clock for Mile's commitment which I believe is supposed to happen tomorrow (Tuesday 04/07/20).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I added Keon Ellis to the roster in the 14th slot even though there are only 13 scholarships available. I think it is almost certain that Kira will not be back next season so Keon will get his scholarship.

It is my understanding that we are on the clock for Mile's commitment which I believe is supposed to happen tomorrow (Tuesday 04/07/20).
Miles announcing at 3:00 CST today. CB's in our favor so fingers crossed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.