Russia Invades Ukraine, part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've looked and cannot find a source that states this. I did however find someone that claims Australia uses diesel fuel exclusively in theirs. 🤷‍♂️
Well, in addition to the fuel, the M1 requires sophisticated maintenance, weighs up to 75 tons, in its latest iteration and has higher fuel consumption than the Leopard. There're reasons there are so many more Leopards in Europe...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Well, in addition to the fuel, the M1 requires sophisticated maintenance, weighs up to 75 tons, in its latest iteration and has higher fuel consumption than the Leopard. There're reasons there are so many more Leopards in Europe...
Yeah I get it. If someone can figure it out it would be Ukrainians. They have domestic jet/turbine mfg experience.

The thing that gets me is a lot of these European countries have supply issue that we just don’t. They have limited numbers, but we have 1000’s in storage. When congress was trying to force more M1’s on the army who didn’t want them, I remember the general said we had something like 2 tanks per trained tank crew.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah I get it. If someone can figure it out it would be Ukrainians. They have domestic jet/turbine mfg experience.

The thing that gets me is a lot of these European countries have supply issue that we just don’t. They have limited numbers, but we have 1000’s in storage. When congress was trying to force more M1’s on the army who didn’t want them, I remember the general said we had something like 2 tanks per trained tank crew.
That's brought out in the article I linked - send them M1s first, of which we have a plethora, with the Leopard, with its fuel efficiency, to replace it eventually. The M1s and Leopards use the same ammo and were actually designed to fight side by side...

Reactions: 2003TIDE

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
It did. There's agreement now. We're sending M1s and they're sending Leopards. Now, if they'd just done this months ago...
I don’t get all the dragging ass on this. There will be a spring offensive. We have to equip them. Same with the F-16 that are all getting retired soon. We’ve been training the Ukrainians for a while on these apparently. Why not send them?

IMO they have proven at this point they can effectively use what we send. So let’s send what they need!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don’t get all the dragging ass on this. There will be a spring offensive. We have to equip them. Same with the F-16 that are all getting retired soon. We’ve been training the Ukrainians for a while on these apparently. Why not send them?

IMO they have proven at this point they can effectively use what we send. So let’s send what they need!
Probably this just moves up the Russian offensive, trying to get what they can before the tanks can be supplied and the crews trained. The M1 normally requires 8-9 months. Obviously, it'll be speeded up and the Ukrainians have proven they can handle it...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Probably this just moves up the Russian offensive, trying to get what they can before the tanks can be supplied and the crews trained. The M1 normally requires 8-9 months. Obviously, it'll be speeded up and the Ukrainians have proven they can handle it...
One Station Unit Training (OSUT, which means new soldiers do Basic and tank crewman-specific training at the same base: Fort Benning) lasts 15 weeks, but the tank crewman-specific portion is four weeks. Now, that will just get you a crewman who is not a danger to himself and others around a tank. Then you have to do crew training ("In the crew of this tank, I'll do this job, and you'll do that job.") That takes a while as well and is usually done at the destination unit. Then there is collective training ("How does this tank work with that tank, and incorporate infantry, artillery, engineers, attack aviation, etc.?") takes still more time. Because we are Americans, love gadgets, and has enormous mounts of money, we do some of that in simulators, mockups of a tank interior, linked together by a computer so you can see the other tanks virtually as you maneuver across the virtual terrain. A lot of the collective training, however, is done by climbing into a tank and driving around the local training area.
Bottom line, once the crews get their hands on an Abrams, it will take weeks-months to get them fully trained. Rush that too much, and get results like the Russians have had: a lot of dead crews and burned out tanks.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sounds like the gloves are essentially off wrt 'escalation' at this point. We know Putin will escalate whenever possible, may as well beat him to the punch. His ONLY threat is nuclear, and I just don't think he'll go there.

Reactions: TexasBama

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Sounds like the gloves are essentially off wrt 'escalation' at this point. We know Putin will escalate whenever possible, may as well beat him to the punch. His ONLY threat is nuclear, and I just don't think he'll go there.
That's 30 M1's and 100? M2's we've thrown into the mix. That's a lot of firepower.

We just need to come off the F-16s at this point. Apparently, there are a ton of those at end of service life that are slated to be replaced with F-35's. What better way to expedite that?

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One Station Unit Training (OSUT, which means new soldiers do Basic and tank crewman-specific training at the same base: Fort Benning) lasts 15 weeks, but the tank crewman-specific portion is four weeks. Now, that will just get you a crewman who is not a danger to himself and others around a tank. Then you have to do crew training ("In the crew of this tank, I'll do this job, and you'll do that job.") That takes a while as well and is usually done at the destination unit. Then there is collective training ("How does this tank work with that tank, and incorporate infantry, artillery, engineers, attack aviation, etc.?") takes still more time. Because we are Americans, love gadgets, and has enormous mounts of money, we do some of that in simulators, mockups of a tank interior, linked together by a computer so you can see the other tanks virtually as you maneuver across the virtual terrain. A lot of the collective training, however, is done by climbing into a tank and driving around the local training area.
Bottom line, once the crews get their hands on an Abrams, it will take weeks-months to get them fully trained. Rush that too much, and get results like the Russians have had: a lot of dead crews and burned out tanks.
I understand that the Leopards were originally designed for a conscript army. Germany only ended conscription in 2011. As a result, I doubt that the Leopard has as many bells and whistles and is faster to train on. Add the additional weight and fuel consumption of the M1 and you can see why they want it. I thought I heard yesterday that Germany was only sending 14 for fear of thinning out their own forces too much. However, the bar charts I've seen show them with hundreds, with Turkey second. OTOH, the Leopard has shown itself in combat not to be invincible, whereas, IIRC, an Abrams has never been lost...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I understand that the Leopards were originally designed for a conscript army. Germany only ended conscription in 2011. As a result, I doubt that the Leopard has as many bells and whistles and is faster to train on. Add the additional weight and fuel consumption of the M1 and you can see why they want it. I thought I heard yesterday that Germany was only sending 14 for fear of thinning out their own forces too much. However, the bar charts I've seen show them with hundreds, with Turkey second. OTOH, the Leopard has shown itself in combat not to be invincible, whereas, IIRC, an Abrams has never been lost...
The US lost a few in Iraq to really big IEDs.
Tank on tank duel, I am not sure the Abrams has every lost.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's 30 M1's and 100? M2's we've thrown into the mix. That's a lot of firepower.

We just need to come off the F-16s at this point. Apparently, there are a ton of those at end of service life that are slated to be replaced with F-35's. What better way to expedite that?
Once again, the training bugaboo raises its head. We've just shipped the first F-16s to Poland. A while back, I read that they had made the decision to train all new pilots on them. They regarded the experience the older pilots had with the MIG and other Russian jets to be useless, if not an actual detriment to learning the F-16, so they plan to have dual air forces. That's a while back, when we first agreed to sell to them, so IDK if it's current...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The US lost a few in Iraq to really big IEDs.
Tank on tank duel, I am not sure the Abrams has every lost.
You remarked that untrained crews could end up like the Russians. I have to dissent mildly, because of the different designs. Neither the Abrams nor Leopards store ammo like the Russian tanks. In addition, the Abrams have spent uranium armor. Both tanks are inherently more survivable in a direct hit. The Russians have proven over and over that protecting their soldiers is a distant second if not tertiary...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This brings up a question I've always had. "Spent uranium" comes up in various contexts - tank armor, tank armor piercing shells. How do you "spend" uranium? Does it come from nuclear power plants?

Reactions: UAH

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This brings up a question I've always had. "Spent uranium" comes up in various contexts - tank armor, tank armor piercing shells. How do you "spend" uranium? Does it come from nuclear power plants?
IIRC, most depleted uranium comes as a byproduct from the enriching process of making fuel (enriched uranium) for nuclear reactors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.