Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died - complications of cancer at 87

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I’m not wild about the idea of expanding the court past nine members (the Republicans will one day have another majority), but if they do I hope Merrick Garland is Biden’s first choice.
I think Obama would make a very good Supreme Court judge.( Hillary is also qualified, but too old.) Garlan was picked because he would be acceptable to traditional Republicans. To heck with those type gestures.

I had thought progressives had a full plate trying to see progress on the issues they’ve promoted, while insisting the lawbreakers we have seen running roughshod over everything face some accountability. But bumping up the court has now become another prime issue to champion.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think there's no other choice at this point. The GOP will rage about "court packing" and hope that no one recognizes that they've been court packing at all levels ever since McConnell decided to use his Senate majority to stop confirming judges while Obama was president so the next GOP administration could inherent artificial vacancies.
let them rage. it's all they know how to do. like with a toddler, the rage loses a lot of its power when people stop listening to it.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I think Obama would make a very good Supreme Court judge.( Hillary is also qualified, but too old.) Garlan was picked because he would be acceptable to traditional Republicans. To heck with those type gestures.

I had thought progressives had a full plate trying to see progress on the issues they’ve promoted, while insisting the lawbreakers we have seen running roughshod over everything face some accountability. But bumping up the court has now become another prime issue to champion.
Hillary for AG.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Reactions: TexasBama

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
" OK, so at this point Whitehouse is demonstrating that there are enormous amounts of money going toward this—he mentions $45 million going to 15 groups that file amicus briefs pretending they’re different, and by the end he’s effectively described a $250 million operation to remake the courts. His point is these groups aren’t different. They’re all part of one thing, and he’s connecting them to the Federalist Society and to the Judicial Crisis Network. He notes that these are barely different organizations—their offices are even on the same hallway in the same building. "

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
This doesn't make sense to me.
We are on page 22 of a thread that has been primarily used to rant against a sitting President nominating a replacement of a Supreme Court Justice. That is actually what Presidents do. Sometimes they don't control the body that approves the nominee and they get told no, but when they do it goes through. You might not like it and I might not like it but that is the process.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
We are on page 22 of a thread that has been primarily used to rant against a sitting President nominating a replacement of a Supreme Court Justice. That is actually what Presidents do. Sometimes they don't control the body that approves the nominee and they get told no, but when they do it goes through. You might not like it and I might not like it but that is the process.
You conveniently forget 4 years ago and what was said then by the same people doing this now. :rolleyes:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You really have no idea what you are talking about.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Good. You'll have no problem when the court is expanded.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
So when someone points out how the rules and explanations flipped about a President putting someone on the Supreme Court during the election season they are RANTING?

The board rules prevent an actual rant, or I would oblige you with one.

Black Presidents get to nominate Supreme Court judges for the first three years of their term but the white guy after him gets to nominate Supreme Court Justices for five years?

And they are gloating about taking this position?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
If you can't handle rage don't go back and read this thread.
These two posts don't fit together. I don't disagree with your second post; the one that says in a roundabout way that presidents (not Presidents) nominate justices for the SCOTUS.

There is no rage from me anywhere in this thread. The Supreme Court will eventually be expanded as a direct result of Amy Coney Barrett being appointed when she is underqualified and extremely biased. It was a very short sighted power grab by the Republicans, regardless of who you support. The SCOTUS now represents the opinion of a clear minority and does not reflect the opinion of the country.

With regards to your first post, I don't recall reading rage from any poster in this thread. Perhaps we disagree on what constitutes rage. The post still makes no sense to me.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
So when someone points out how the rules and explanations flipped about a President putting someone on the Supreme Court during the election season they are RANTING?

The board rules prevent an actual rant, or I would oblige you with one.

Black Presidents get to nominate Supreme Court judges for the first three years of their term but the white guy after him gets to nominate Supreme Court Justices for five years?

And they are gloating about taking this position?
I never said anything about race. The reason President Obama's pick did not get approval was pure partisan politics and I didn't like it. If you notice I stated that when the opposing party holds the senate it sometimes happens that way. I don't think it should but it could. This President had a majority in the senate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.