Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died - complications of cancer at 87

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
The senate minority having the power to filibuster judicial nominees sure would be handy just about now.
If these republican senators are telling the truth then I think McConnell may find himself in the minority on this ONE decision.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I freaking hate 2020.

I don’t care what Susan or Lisa are saying today, Mitch will corral enough votes to **** on RBG’s dying wish before January. The smart move would be to wait until after the election so the GOP can dangle a SCOTUS seat in front of their voters, and it gives the false impression of propriety if he waits a bit rather than confirming someone next week. But make no mistake, if Biden wins, he will ram her replacement through during the lame duck. If god smote McConnell on the Senate floor as he calls that vote, I would both dance and reconsider religion.

But barring such Schadenfreude: after he does this, if the Dems hold the levers of power come January, they need to add two justices and permit votes on statehood for DC and PR.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I freaking hate 2020.

I don’t care what Susan or Lisa are saying today, Mitch will corral enough votes to **** on RBG’s dying wish before January. The smart move would be to wait until after the election so the GOP can dangle a SCOTUS seat in front of their voters, and it gives the false impression of propriety if he waits a bit rather than confirming someone next week. But make no mistake, if Biden wins, he will ram her replacement through during the lame duck. If god smote McConnell on the Senate floor as he calls that vote, I would both dance and reconsider religion.

But barring such Schadenfreude: after he does this, if the Dems hold the levers of power come January, they need to add two justices and permit votes on statehood for DC and PR.
I really believe there should be consequences if the GOP pushes this and loses the Senate. The gloves should come off.

Reactions: UAH and CharminTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
FWIW, Scalia died in Feb, RBG in Sept.
Yep, they essentially held up the Supreme Court for a year because they refused to budge, even when Obama put forth a candidate that they would have done backflips for a year earlier. Obama tried to do the right thing to avoid that, but common sense had left the building. Why? Because the GOP knew that the open seat could sway the election. And it was a huge factor.

Because of the 4-4 split risk, the Supreme Court only took on slam dunk cases for a year. Politics usurped justice - again. But this has been an unwritten rule for a long time - no new justices in a presidential election year, so I really didn't think too much about it at the time.

Trump will probably be asked to wait until the election is over to nominate someone to help him and other GOP senator seats in the election again. Not sure that he will listen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.