Link: Saban explains NCG loss

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
You have to remember the context too. He's at a Coaches Association event making a speech, teaching and motivating other coaches. Not a talking head asking "why did you lose the NCG?" during an interview.
*but you know he knows it's going to get out there.

Reactions: Con

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Whatever the excuse, whoever is to blame, our young wide receivers weren't developed, experienced, and ready when we needed them. What's going on right now feels more Dubose-like than Saban-like.
And those "young wide receivers" were the reason they weren't ready when we needed them. You cannot reward bad effort or you lose control of the entire team. Could Saban have given them playing time during the course of the regular season? Yep, but he would have had to while allowing them to give crap effort in practice. That's not good precedence to set as a coach.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
And those "young wide receivers" were the reason they weren't ready when we needed them. You cannot reward bad effort or you lose control of the entire team. Could Saban have given them playing time during the course of the regular season? Yep, but he would have had to while allowing them to give crap effort in practice. That's not good precedence to set as a coach.
And then there was Jahleel Billingsley...

I miss the days when there were people that could actually watch practice and report on what they had seen. Our coaching staff last fall made pretty near $20 million.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I miss the days when there were people that could actually watch practice and report on what they had seen. Our coaching staff last fall made pretty near $20 million.
Yes I agree and wonder the same thing about Billingsly. It is very Un-Saban like to allow a player who is obviosly not giving 100% effort to continue to play. So, I'll give Saban the benefit of the doubt on that and say tbere were circumstances present that either forced his hand or we didnt know about. I think Sabsn has earned that. We have won 6 national titles in 14 years and every incoming freshman class has won a title. Sabans coaching staff has more than earned their pay.

There were days when people could be trusted to watch practice and report things with integrity and honesty, but those days are long gone, hence the access being unavailable...

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
Yes I agree and wonder the same thing about Billingsly. It is very Un-Saban like to allow a player who is obviosly not giving 100% effort to continue to play. So, I'll give Saban the benefit of the doubt on that and say tbere were circumstances present that either forced his hand or we didnt know about. I think Sabsn has earned that. We have won 6 national titles in 14 years and every incoming freshman class has won a title. Sabans coaching staff has more than earned their pay.

There were days when people could be trusted to watch practice and report things with integrity and honesty, but those days are long gone, hence the access being unavailable...
I dont have a clue about this young man's effort. In practice,or elsewhere.I would have to assume that if it was a lack of Effort,or being a destabilizing cancer in the Locker Room,Coach wouldnt have EVER put him out there. You would have to think that.

What I dont get has to to with something else.I personally dont think JB is that good.That would be the biggest thing to me on why he got the minutes he did.Maybe we just lacked overall talent at the position. The young man has good size. Not Elite.Decent speed. Not elite. Didnt have much appetite to block the EOL guys and the perimeter he was asked to do.I think he lacks physical toughness. Not an elite Route Runner.Not great athleticism.His hands are questionable,and even worse in traffic.Sark schemed him wide open on deep crossers several times,and he did make a corner catch or 2 last year. If I would remember 1 time he broke a tackle or made a guy miss it would be the 1st time.Hell in 2020 we had him returning kicks for a while which made me get my eyes checked.

These are the reasons I found it odd he was out there as much as he was.We really need to take advantage of Niblack's tremendous athleticism and use him in a way that utilizes what he does best,and that is being a real Matchup Nightmare. Maybe not Kyle Pitts.But potentially much different than Jahlil Billingsley. I am sure we will.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Administration made $32 million, are you watching them even closer than the coaching staff?

Reactions: Bhammer

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
My point is that the mega-millionaires that have been in the game for decades should be getting the guys ready. The repeated, and quite shocking, public flogging of JB was obviously not very effective, so why go right back to blasting players in the media? Maybe what those guys need are skilled, imaginative, hard-nosed football coaches.

The one real weakness in the Saban process has ALWAYS been not having the backups ready. Was Mac Jones ready when we unexpectedly needed him? No. Was Mac a slacker? I don't think so. Was Mac worthy of being given the minutes, actually running the full offense with the first team, so that he would have been ready? Probably so. Who was ready when Scarborough went down a few years ago? And on and on... In most other areas when a problem surfaces, Saban fixes it. Developing the backups and staff continuity never get resolved. The problems with the young receivers was NOT a one-off situation.

The truth is if those guys were so uncoachable they should be gone. Why waste the scholarship? Just doesn't pass the common sense test. It sounds a lot more like deflection and making excuses.

I see CNS slipping. Making bad hires. Making bad decisions. Developing a God complex. Not taking responsibility. Breaking promises. Not holding coaches responsible to the same level he does players. That worries me. Blaming the youngest, least experienced guys on the team for his failures...really? Why do our team's issues need to be taken to the media to be solved, even if they are legitimate issues? Didn't we used to solve our issues in-house? We had at least one serious coaching issue this year. Saban resolved that issue but I didn't see him blasting that coach in the media. Why not?

Nobody has been a bigger Saban fan than me, up until this last season. However, publicly blasting players, repeatedly, is not something I can really support.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.