Link: Saban explains NCG loss

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The worst thing that could have happened to Hall was his good A-day performance and Herbstreit and Galloway gushing over him so much. He thought he was going to be the next superstar and when fall camp rolled around he did not know how much work was required and then got an attitude when his number was not called.

I saw something on another site about Hall on social media. Anybody on twitter/other know what this is about?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The worst thing that could have happened to Hall was his good A-day performance and Herbstreit and Galloway gushing over him so much. He thought he was going to be the next superstar and when fall camp rolled around he did not know how much work was required and then got an attitude when his number was not called.

I saw something on another site about Hall on social media. Anybody on twitter/other know what this is about?
Earlier during the season he had tweeted about being “done”. Then he followed up with a tweet right after championship game stating “I’m sorry Bama Nation. I’ll be back”.
Is this what you’re referencing?

Edit:
just checked his twitter and we have this, what ever this means.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm never a fan of throwing your players under the bus, publicly. Surely he's had this talk with the players, privately. That approach sure didn't work with Billingsley so I don't understand going after more players unless the point is to tell them they have no future here (we do need a few more transfers out I think). You have to coach/develop the guys you have if you want them to be ready for the VERY LAST game of the season when you really need them.
Maybe Coach was trying to instill some leadership into the younger players. Team-mates could have helped the "3" to get their act together. Peer pressure is a big motivator... :cool:

Reactions: TitleWave

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
This was the problem and the reason JB was on the field. Obviously the group as a whole wasn't putting in the effort maybe due to lack of leadership. Hopefully now the challenge will be accepted. We'll either see improvement by the spring game or the portal will be active again.
Well, we do have a new TE coach, so... :cool:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It had the definite ring of an ultimatum to me. If these guys can't figure out that they're probably going to be passed by the incomers, they do really need to start looking for new opportunities. It seems like it's just so seldom that once an under-performers starts grousing publicly, they never do get their attitudes adjusted. Double that, if family gets involved...
That was my exact take.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Sometimes I think we forget that Metchie, Williams, and Bolden were dropping balls left and right early in the season. They fixed that once they got the game reps and solidified the timing with BY.

I just can't bring myself to blame the team's failures on the youngest guys on the team. Sadly, much of the playing time that the younger players could have used was needed to get the experienced guys up to speed and catching the passes thrown their way.

The Billingsley 'play regardless' situation just doesn't make sense based on the recriminations thrown at the freshmen. Seems like if we'd invested the effort in another player that we invested in JB we might have got a bigger return.

We've had a run of great receivers that were almost ready to go right out of the box. That's not normally they way these things work so we've got a little spoiled (maybe even CNS).

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Zero lies detected. That was unusually blunt even for Saban. What was all that about a kinder, gentler Nick?

Hope the players in question get the message and are already preparing to light it up
Either that, or with the tender little hearts/feelings these kids have now-a-days, they'll go run to the portal and an fcs school! Then Alabama will pay their schools $500,000+ to let them come back and drop passes against the Tide 'D'... Some lessons about life are learned the hard way...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I can’t help but be reminded of something John Croyle said at a talk he gave concerning raising kids and setting expectations. His thought is that these days we’ve set kids up with a notion they “deserve” something without actually “earning” it.

He told a story about Coach Bryant coming up to him during a game with LSU. He had hit the LSU QB three times just after the QB getting the ball away. Coach Bryant didn’t “pat him on the back for getting close”. He wanted to know when I was going “to get him”. It isn’t about getting close. It is about accomplishment.

Croyle added “We all knew Coach Bryant loved us and cared deeply about us. But he didn’t hand out compliments “left and right”. When he did, you knew you had done “something”.

When you start accomplishing things, then you deserve something because you’ve earned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: teamplayer and Con

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
The more I think about It I think I was wrong. I mentioned THolden as 1 of these young culprits.I have changed my mind. I noticed the young man in the 4th Qtr Program.I know he is tight with Bryce and I know that he obviously welcomed Burton with open arms. Of course I could still be wrong.But I dont think it was him. I know one was Billingsley.No brainer. And I believe the 2nd one was Baker.Again after thinking about it.I think he was one of them.The 3rd one? Not sure. But I have a feeling it was Hall.Dont know for sure.But I would wager on it.
The brilliant “check-mate move” that Coach made here…..was to say that there were three players…..but to not name any of them. There are a handful of players to whom he could have been referring (potentially including defensive backs as well, if you listen to the interview) but by simply saying “three players,” he never threw a single one of them under the bus.
Now, I’d wager that there are more than three players who believe Coach was referring to them personally…..while the rest of the world is trying to decipher who the three actually are.

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
True, but Coach Saban was making a point about if someone isn’t strong enough to do the right thing then someone else should step up and make the right decision. We know that Ruggs made a bad decision but the others involved could have stepped in and taken his keys.
No, they couldn't. This is a grown man, a millionaire, with a wife, an NFL contract and a fast car he wanted to show off. An alpha-male, very probably armed and very definitley inebriated.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Was he the WR who didn't know where to line up on one play?

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I have a feeling Billingsley’s attitude will leak over in Austin. I hope I’m wrong, but give it time…

As for Hall and the rest of the WR room, if Saban has to bring in a transfer to that same position in back to back years, obviously he knows that some of those guys lack leadership and accountability. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the WR room clearing out

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The guys should be motivated to practice hard in Spring and Fall camp this year because the WR positions are up for grabs. Burton will be one of the starters but the other spots are unknown and if the competition is close whoever starts game 1 and doesn't produce can quickly be replaced for game 2.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
As for the one in particular who was so obviously lolly gagging in the NC game, yet played the whole game, and why didn't Coach Saban play someone else...

That was probably CNS's last ditch effort to save the kid. You might say why would he jeopardize the NC game like that? Well, as everyone should know by now, Coach Saban is process-oriented, not results-oriented. As bizarre as it sounds, I would bet he was more interested in reaching that kid (as he is everyone on the team) than actually winning the game.
Coach Saban is a teacher who wants all of his pupils to understand the process of being better, and this means being better in all aspects of life. However, just like a cancerous cell must be removed for the entire body to thrive, cancerous players often need to be benched so the entire team can function properly. Coach Saban usually demonstrates this perfectly, which still leads me to believe that he thought B was the only feasible option. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. Onward and upward! Roll Tide!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
From a 11-2 SEC Conference winning team - to a 5-7 team that finished 7th in the little XII...
Then again he might get more playing time if he can hold onto the ball...! :rolleyes:
I don't think he can get much more playing time than he got last year, but I'm certain he is getting some solid NIL money, so he probably feels justified and appreciated despite the fact that he has demonstrated much more potential than he ever has accomplishments. I'm sure he'll play the game of his life against us next year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.