JessN: Saban unloaded on Texas A&M because no one was listening

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Saban unloaded on Texas A&M because no one was listening
By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief
May 20, 2022

By now, unless you live under a rock, you’re aware that Nick Saban went scorched-earth on Texas A&M and its head coach Jimbo Fisher for alleged wrongdoings in regard to the use (or misuse) of name-image-likeness (NIL) rules on the way to filling out its most recent recruiting class. The question is why.

Which is why Saban’s statements the last couple of days regarding Texas A&M and its head coach were so out of left field, even brazen. Saban is the master of saying a lot while poking around the edges of an issue. He rarely goes full-on confrontational, in part because he never seems to get a fair shake from a media that after 16 years, is still determined to make him pay for the way he left the Dolphins – even though Dolphins ownership was fully understanding of whatever gaffes he might have committed back then.

READ MORE

MikeInBama

1st Team
Sep 11, 2021
Prattvegas
I'm afraid this will accelerate Saban's retirement from the game. Alabama's endowement is under 900 million while the two biggest Texas Universities have almost 50 billion combined. In a competition of how much stupid money can be thrown at 17 year olds, we lose and lose big. I don't think Saban would want to coach in an NFL lite having to manage salary bids to recruit players.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm afraid this will accelerate Saban's retirement from the game. Alabama's endowement is under 900 million while the two biggest Texas Universities have almost 50 billion combined. In a competition of how much stupid money can be thrown at 17 year olds, we lose and lose big. I don't think Saban would want to coach in an NFL lite having to manage salary bids to recruit players.
Been my thinking and concern ever since it became apparent that NIL was a train going off the rails, over a cliff and into the gorge below. I think something needs to happen in the next year or at most two to get this mess under control or he may well be gone, one more championship or not.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The money doesn't come from the school (or the Endowment associated with it).

The money HAS to come from Boosters/Alumni/Other... :cool:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
May 20, 2022

By now, unless you live under a rock, you’re aware that Nick Saban went scorched-earth on Texas A&M and its head coach Jimbo Fisher for alleged wrongdoings in regard to the use (or misuse) of name-image-likeness (NIL) rules on the way to filling out its most recent recruiting class. The question is why.

Which is why Saban’s statements the last couple of days regarding Texas A&M and its head coach were so out of left field, even brazen. Saban is the master of saying a lot while poking around the edges of an issue. He rarely goes full-on confrontational, in part because he never seems to get a fair shake from a media that after 16 years, is still determined to make him pay for the way he left the Dolphins – even though Dolphins ownership was fully understanding of whatever gaffes he might have committed back then.

READ MORE
Spot on, Jess!:cool:

I think Sanders nailed it too as this is obviously a "call to arms" to our Boosters/Alumni...:cool::unsure:

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I'm afraid College Football as I use to know it back in the '50's & 60's & 70's is gone forever, and has become the minor leagues for the NFL...!

Fisher put out the call to his boosters & THEY ANSWERED...

By the way if he (Fisher) was so clean & respectable during his tenure at LSU why didn't he report some of the alleged misdeeds at the time...

One of two answers,
1. He was guilty as SIN or
2. There was nothing going on

More likely the second...!

Now the best college teams are going to be the one's with the largest collective's, in the neighborhood of $50,000,000.00 + a year...
And that's just to get the best 22, greed & power has surfaced everywhere in this country and it's only getting worse!

I don't care for the NFL prima-donna's & now we're going to have nothing but a bunch of College one's...
Time for me to turn the page to some other College sports, anyone for bowling...;) although I do like Hockey just not as a steady diet...

I can imagine Bear and some other College coaches trying to keep out some of those NCAA big wigs ex & present from their celestial neighborhood homes...!

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
May 20, 2022

READ MORE
What a GREAT article and a terrific read!!!!!And I couldnt agree more..

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So Fisher stated prior to a talk with Aggie boosters in San Antonio that “only one out of eleven early enrollees had an NIL agreement”. Which to me begs the question, “Do you know for sure or is it there only one REPORTED NIL deal among those new enrollees?”

So we know that ALL NIL deals by student athletes are suppose to be reported to compliance at that university. So if an NIL deal isn’t reported and reviewed by compliance, what are the repercussions? Is the student athlete declared ineligible? We know the NCAA compliance has been rendered feckless and basically thrown up their hands. I have to wonder how many “under the table, keep it down home cuz” NIL deals will happen and not get reported? Then the tax man cometh….

Last edited:

27rings

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 7, 2020
I believe what Saban was/is doing is no different than what NFL owners did a few years ago when they argued for a rookie salary cap in the collective bargaining agreement with NFLPA. I'm all for a player making as much money as possible, but it needs to be a structure where the player makes money for what they do on the field after they are on campus; instead of making a crazy amount of money because of a ranking some stat nerd at 24/7 gives them. Until then, it's only a matter of time before CFB has it's first Ryan Leaf.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I believe what Saban was/is doing is no different than what NFL owners did a few years ago when they argued for a rookie salary cap in the collective bargaining agreement with NFLPA. I'm all for a player making as much money as possible, but it needs to be a structure where the player makes money for what they do on the field after they are on campus; instead of making a crazy amount of money because of a ranking some stat nerd at 24/7 gives them. Until then, it's only a matter of time before CFB has it's first Ryan Leaf.
Make incoming freshmen ineligible for NIL.

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
The Hammer right on the nail!! It couldnt be said any better. That is,at least I am hoping the decision makers were that smart,the initial thought,plan,and notion.You take the 30 young men that A+M "bought" to get them to College Station? O rat least 1/3 of them. What is going to happen when at LEAST 1/2 of them dont pan out for one reason or another? And you know this will happen. Then what?

Reactions: 27rings

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Make incoming freshmen ineligible for NIL.
I heard this suggestion on the radio a couple of days ago. Although no idea is without flaws, this strikes me as one of the better ones. I also like the Cajun amendment (above).

But pretty soon, the million-dollar donors are going to wise up, there are going to be actual contracts, perhaps with money in escrow until the kid gets on the field, perhaps scores touchdowns, yards or other specific measurables. It will stop being appearance money.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Plus depending on contracts, I’m assuming there are restrictions for those that are 17, right? So maybe you can’t sign the deal until you were 18 years old. Just because of labor laws in some areas. But not my area of expertise

27rings

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 7, 2020
Make no mistake, this is heading exactly in the direction of something like the NFL. The players will create something very similar to an NFLPA; and have legal representation; and the universities or conferences will too. And it will be necessary because if not, then you will have litigation between players and universities. 5 Star recruits will sue universities because they came to that university because of the NIL deal; and when they never see the field and enter the transfer portal they are still going to want the money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.