JessN: Saban’s going nowhere, but we like for you to be prepared

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Saban’s going nowhere, but we like for you to be prepared
by Jess Nicholas | TideFans.com Editor-in-Chief

For many years, TideFans.com produced an annual feature called "Coaches to Watch," a discover-them-before-your-neighbors-do article identifying up-and-coming mid-major coaches who might one day be candidates at large schools like Alabama. The feature actually predates TideFans.com itself – the first one rolled off the presses following the 1996 season, when TideFans.com was still BamaNation.com and Dennis Franchione, who made the list, did so from his post not at TCU, but rather New Mexico.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
four to five years is a long way to project which coach will be hot. I’m hoping the ones mentioned will all show improvement with maybe one or two others flashing. Of the ones listed I still think it has to be
1 Cristobal- recruits well, young, plays physical, knows what it takes to be a Bama coach!

2 surprise Kiffin. -I think he matures and would love to take over in Tuscaloosa, but the only question would be if he tries to get back to the NFL if he does well.

3 Pruitt - recruits well, seems to be building a solid program. I just hope the monster that is Alabama Football wouldn’t swallow him up!

4 Dabo, but only through back channels like Texas did with Saban!

I honestly think one of those four would take the job and will have positioned themselves to be hireable at UA in four to five years!

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
P.J. Fleck !
Why? That's not being negative or smart alecky...I don't see him fitting in the SEC...I think the B1G overlooked them last year and that's going to catch up with him. I don't see his overall style working past mid-level Power5 schools, or some MACtion...I could be very wrong, that's why I asked your opinion as to why? Thanks!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
four to five years is a long way to project which coach will be hot. I’m hoping the ones mentioned will all show improvement with maybe one or two others flashing. Of the ones listed I still think it has to be
1 Cristobal- recruits well, young, plays physical, knows what it takes to be a Bama coach!

2 surprise Kiffin. -I think he matures and would love to take over in Tuscaloosa, but the only question would be if he tries to get back to the NFL if he does well.

3 Pruitt - recruits well, seems to be building a solid program. I just hope the monster that is Alabama Football wouldn’t swallow him up!

4 Dabo, but only through back channels like Texas did with Saban!

I honestly think one of those four would take the job and will have positioned themselves to be hireable at UA in four to five years!
Since until Saban actually retires this topic is nothing more than hypothetical. If Saban announced his retirement at the end of this season. Which candidate that has been named throughout this thread would be the most capable of taking over in 2021? Cristobal and Pruitt would be good candidates three maybe four years down the road. But no way I think they would be ready if the job was open at the end of 2020. So I think timing dictates a lot regarding Saban's replacement.

Reactions: The Ols

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Since until Saban actually retires this topic is nothing more than hypothetical. If Saban announced his retirement at the end of this season. Which candidate that has been named throughout this thread would be the most capable of taking over in 2021? Cristobal and Pruitt would be good candidates three maybe four years down the road. But no way I think they would be ready if the job was open at the end of 2020. So I think timing dictates a lot regarding Saban's replacement.
I agree on the influence of timing.

But just curious, Buzz....If Saban were to retire after 2020, what would your list be?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

But just curious, Buzz....If Saban were to retire after 2020, what would your list be?
Great question because if that happens and we don't hire one of the guys on that list because it's "too soon,"
odds are we will never get one of them. Our next coach would/will hopefully be around long enough that they will all be either so entrenched in their schools, or proven that they can't handle it...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Oh man...tying up CEO for six years (which I know means nothing except optics for recruiting) is crazy but this is about as crazy as what the Barn does every time they have a good year/beat us.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

It would automatically eliminate Pruitt and Cristobal.

My obvious name would be Dabo. From an accomplishment/resume standpoint, he's about as close to a "plug and play" situation that I think would be available to us. Again, as I stated in one of my earlier post. I DO NOT WANT to hire a coach that turns out to be an "on the job training" scenario and we slip to a 2nd tier status within the conference where 10-2 and 9-3 records become our normal.

I will tell you this though, I am intrigued what Mark Stoops would do if given the talent that Alabama has. He's coached 7 years at Kentucky. His record there isn't eye popping. It's actually .500. I know that goes against my reasons for hiring Dabo in my paragraph above. But his past two seasons of 10-3 and 8-5 at a Basketball school isn't easy to do. I just wonder if he was able to work with Alabama type talent what he would do?

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Interestingly enough we -- myself included -- have not mentioned one African American coach as a candidate. If CNS goes 5 years I think there will be several who are assistants in college or pros today who may prove themselves to be worthy. Posts on Freddie Roach and Demeco Ryans started me thinking along this line...Ozzie Newsome is not a candidate -- I really thought he would come back and be AD but he obviously did not want that job. Probably doesn't want any job at this stage in life.
Are there former players who are performing well at the coordinator stage who would be quality candidates? Just wondering...

Reactions: Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It would automatically eliminate Pruitt and Cristobal.

My obvious name would be Dabo. From an accomplishment/resume standpoint, he's about as close to a "plug and play" situation that I think would be available to us. Again, as I stated in one of my earlier post. I DO NOT WANT to hire a coach that turns out to be an "on the job training" scenario and we slip to a 2nd tier status within the conference where 10-2 and 9-3 records become our normal.

I will tell you this though, I am intrigued what Mark Stoops would do if given the talent that Alabama has. He's coached 7 years at Kentucky. His record there isn't eye popping. It's actually .500. I know that goes against my reasons for hiring Dabo in my paragraph above. But his past two seasons of 10-3 and 8-5 at a Basketball school isn't easy to do. I just wonder if he was able to work with Alabama type talent what he would do?
Yeah, my first call would be direct to Dabo. Don’t think he’d come — has it too easy and too lucrative in Clemson. Still, I think you have to try.

After that, I would call Cristobal or Pruitt, the order depending on what their 2020 seasons showed.

No, neither is ready. But I can’t think of anybody who really is, and would come. Other than the possibility of Dabo, there’s going to be some OTJT.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah, my first call would be direct to Dabo. Don’t think he’d come — has it too easy and too lucrative in Clemson. Still, I think you have to try.

After that, I would call Cristobal or Pruitt, the order depending on what their 2020 seasons showed.

No, neither is ready. But I can’t think of anybody who really is, and would come. Other than the possibility of Dabo, there’s going to be some OTJT.
Agreed, if there's no one who has been to the top of the mountain with a program (as Dabo has). Then we have no other choice than to hire from those that are available. But if there is someone available (not just limiting this to Dabo at this point) and have the opportunity to hire them. I think the wise decision would be to hire that person than someone who hasn't been to the top and/or run a major operation like Alabama football.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
Why? That's not being negative or smart alecky...I don't see him fitting in the SEC...I think the B1G overlooked them last year and that's going to catch up with him. I don't see his overall style working past mid-level Power5 schools, or some MACtion...I could be very wrong, that's why I asked your opinion as to why

He's young and played in the NFL . He has turned around both schools that he's been the head coach . In his five years as head coach , he was coach of the year twice in the MAC and coach of the year in his second year at Minnesota . Great recruiter and motivator and I like the guy . I was just throwing his name out there !

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Interestingly enough we -- myself included -- have not mentioned one African American coach as a candidate. If CNS goes 5 years I think there will be several who are assistants in college or pros today who may prove themselves to be worthy. Posts on Freddie Roach and Demeco Ryans started me thinking along this line...Ozzie Newsome is not a candidate -- I really thought he would come back and be AD but he obviously did not want that job. Probably doesn't want any job at this stage in life.
Are there former players who are performing well at the coordinator stage who would be quality candidates? Just wondering...
I think if we're talking WITHIN a 5 year window and assuming no one is thinking of hiring someone with zero head coaching experience. I would think the potential pool of applicants would need to presently be head coaches or get hired to HC VERY soon. There are currently 13 black head coaches on the FBS level. I'm lazy so rather than typing them out I've provided a link. Current List of FBS Black Coaches *There is a typo on the list. They have Jimmy Lake as being HC at Maryland but he's the HC at Washington in the PAC 12*

There's only 13 black head coaches to pick from within the college ranks and I can go ahead and tell you Kevin Sumlin, James Franklin and Willie Taggart are automatic no-go's for me. Mike Locksley crossed my mind in the beginning of this thread but I looked up his coaching record and he's going to have to do some work before being a serious contender. He's 6-40 all time and in his first two years at Maryland he's 4-14.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think if we're talking WITHIN a 5 year window and assuming no one is thinking of hiring someone with zero head coaching experience. I would think the potential pool of applicants would need to presently be head coaches or get hired to HC VERY soon. There are currently 13 black head coaches on the FBS level. I'm lazy so rather than typing them out I've provided a link. Current List of FBS Black Coaches *There is a typo on the list. They have Jimmy Lake as being HC at Maryland but he's the HC at Washington in the PAC 12*

There's only 13 black head coaches to pick from within the college ranks and I can go ahead and tell you Kevin Sumlin, James Franklin and Willie Taggart are automatic no-go's for me. Mike Locksley crossed my mind in the beginning of this thread but I looked up his coaching record and he's going to have to do some work before being a serious contender. He's 6-40 all time and in his first two years at Maryland he's 4-14.
But would they have to be a head coach somewhere? Probably best, but a quality person might be there who could handle this job without getting that chance...just asking and I appreciate your research...

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
But would they have to be a head coach somewhere? Probably best, but a quality person might be there who could handle this job without getting that chance...just asking and I appreciate your research...
It's not out of the question. Didn't Ohio St do just that with Day? I don't think Day had any previous head coaching experience. It's just a huge risk though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's not out of the question. Didn't Ohio St do just that with Day? I don't think Day had any previous head coaching experience. It's just a huge risk though.
Agreed, but Day was hired by Meyer with an expectation that he would take over the job. From the minute that he stepped on campus, he was groomed to take the job. He was introduced to all of the politics, and the "players". He was taught how to be a CEO specifically at Ohio State.

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.